John Carlson

I don't think it's the glue. Normally, 30 minutes would be enough,
but a miter joint is basically gluing end grain to end grain joint and
that males it a weak joint, so it probably needs longer. Try waiting
maybe an hour before taking off the clamps and then moving the joint
only gently, preferably just sliding it on a table and not picking it
up and asking it to hold weight. After 24 hours the glue is probably
as strong as it's going to get so you should be able to pick it up. I
would wait that long before trying to drill it.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:41:04 -0800, marcus wrote:

Greetings,
I am building 2 dozen mitered wooden frames out of straight, cheap white
wood. I have done this before using white glue, and could handle the
frames and drill out the corners for pins after 30 minutes of clamping
with a strap clamp. Today I am using wood glue (elmer's) and after 30
minutes of clamping the joints won't even hold the weight of the wood.
Is this typical of wood glue vs white glue?
-- clh

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net