Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag Washer "No Hot Water" Connundrum

\"Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality\" --Dalai Lama
-------------------------------------

I have a Maytag washing machine, Serial No. LAT7304AAE, that does not
dispense hot water. I have tried the usual and more obvious suggestions,
but the problem persists. Here's what I have done:

1. Verified that hot and cold water is available.
2, Intake hoses are connected to water valves that are turned on.
3. Checked the screen on the water inlet valve. There are no obstructions.
4. Replaced the water inlet valve with part #22001274. Replacement of the
water inlet (solenoid) valve resulted in no change.

The washing machine will not dispense any water when the hot water setting
is selected. Resetting the temperature control knob to cold water results
in cold water. Warm water setting results in dispensing of cold water
only.

Please note that the symptoms before and after replacing the water inlet
are identical. I find it hard to believe that I have a brand new part
with the same problem as the original part.

Any suggestions? Unfortunately, I do not have the model number of the
machine handy. It is located in another house and I don't have immediate
access. Can the serial number be cross-referenced to determine the model
number? This is an older top loading machine. The control panel consists
of push/pull type knobs.

Thanks for your suggestions to help me solve this problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Dec 2008 10:42:32 GMT,
(Baylynx) wrote:

[...]

Sounds like whatever sends the signal to the valve isn't sending the
signal. Probably a circuit board somewhere. Shoulda checked with a
meter before replacing the valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 11:12*am, Chris Hill wrote:
On 10 Dec 2008 10:42:32 GMT,

(Baylynx) wrote:

[...]

meter before replacing the valve.- Hide quoted text -

you could try reversing the wires for the hot and cold valves and see
what happens, that will tell you which way to look for the problem

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

Baylynx had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...um-347155-.htm
:
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. There could be an open connection
somewhere along the signal path.

Chris Hill wrote:

Sounds like whatever sends the signal to the valve isn't sending the
signal. Probably a circuit board somewhere. Shoulda checked with a
meter before replacing the valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Baylynx had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...um-347166-.htm
:
I thought about doing just that. I suppose it can't hurt anything. If I
reverse the wires and start getting only hot water and no cold, I will at
least know that there's a bad connection somewhere in the wiring harness
that controls the hot water valve. Does this seem reasonable?

Also, If I use a meter to check the resistance and voltage at the
solenoid, what should I be looking for?

Mark1 wrote:

you could try reversing the wires for the hot and cold valves and see
what happens, that will tell you which way to look for the problem

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Baylynx wrote:
[...]

Does this washer use an electronic control board or a mechanical timer?
If it's electronic, there's usually a triac on the board that controls
loads such as the water valves. If it has a mechanical timer, then one
of the contacts in the timer, or the switch for selecting the water
temperature is probably defective. The serial number is not really
useful, what we need is the model number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

om...

Mark1 wrote:

you could try reversing the wires for the hot and cold valves and see
what happens, that will tell you which way to look for the problem

Mark

Just verify that they are the same for both solenoids.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Baylynx had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...um-347348-.htm
:
Okay, here's what I found:

Hot water solenoid Voltage = 0
Cold water solenoid Voltage = 120

After reversing the wires:

Hot water wolenoid Voltage = 120
Cold water solenoid Voltage = 0

Ran the machine with wires reversed and got hot water only on the cold
water setting. No water is dispensed on the hot water setting.

So, is this a wiring problem or a control panel problem? Seems to me that
the hot water indicator is not sending a signal to the solenoid that
dispenses hot water.

Is this fixable? This is not a newer digital control panel. It's the old
style knobs that are manually rotated to select a setting.

\"Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality\" --Dalai Lama
-------------------------------------
Don Young wrote:

"Baylynx" wrote in
message
om...

Mark1 wrote:

you could try reversing the wires for the hot and cold valves
and see
what happens, that will tell you which way to look for the
problem

Mark

Just verify that they are the same for both solenoids.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Baylynx had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...um-347199-.htm
:

\"Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality\" --Dalai Lama
-------------------------------------
Maytag Dependable Care
Model No. LAT7304AAE
Serial No. A0119518 KH

Machine has a mechanical timer. You rotate to select the type of load and
pull the knob to activate the cycle. Water temperature settings are
selected by rotating another knob for hot, warm or cold water. Please see
my latest findings in previous post. Thanks.

James Sweet wrote:

Does this washer use an electronic control board or a mechanical timer?

If it's electronic, there's usually a triac on the board that controls
loads such as the water valves. If it has a mechanical timer, then one
of the contacts in the timer, or the switch for selecting the water
temperature is probably defective. The serial number is not really
useful, what we need is the model number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Machine has a mechanical timer. *You rotate to select the type of load and
pull the knob to activate the cycle. *Water temperature settings are
selected by rotating another knob for hot, warm or cold water.

So you isloated that the solinoids are NOT the problem.
Problem could be the wires or the switches.

So now you swap the wires at the temp control switch to isolate the
problem to the switch or the wires. It is probably the switch.

You could just wire both together and use the thing with WARM water
all the time.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

Baylynx wrote:
Baylynx had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...um-347348-.htm
:
Okay, here's what I found:

Hot water solenoid Voltage = 0
Cold water solenoid Voltage = 120

After reversing the wires:

Hot water wolenoid Voltage = 120
Cold water solenoid Voltage = 0

Ran the machine with wires reversed and got hot water only on the cold
water setting. No water is dispensed on the hot water setting.

So, is this a wiring problem or a control panel problem? Seems to me that
the hot water indicator is not sending a signal to the solenoid that
dispenses hot water.

Is this fixable? This is not a newer digital control panel. It's the old
style knobs that are manually rotated to select a setting.

Of course it's fixable, anything is fixable, it's just a matter of
locating and replacing the defective part. Does the washer have a
schematic? Most do, look inside the control panel for an envelope. Trace
out the circuit, I would first suspect the switch that sets the water
temperature, but there may be other things in the circuit that could
cause this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure sound like time to call the service man.....

steve

"Baylynx" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Don Young wrote: