Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommendations for magnifying lenses for fine work

Any recommendations for magnifying lenses for very fine work?

I've used those lighted magnifying desk lamps with some success, but
they are only good for desk work. I am wondering if some sort of loupe
like jewelers or dentists use might be worth buying.

My dentist told me that dental loupes cost $1,000 or more. That's a
bit more than I was planning on spending.

How much magnification is needed or useful? According to Wikipedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loupe, jewelers use 10X magnification to
inspect diamonds for blemishes, but dentists only use 2X-5X, so
something in that range ought to be good enough for removing slivers
and soldering. ;-)

This article says that good jeweler's loupes are triplets -- three
lenses combined so as to correct (or minimize) distortion. I am
guessing that this is not important for general use.
http://jewelry.about.com/od/jewelrya...l/ss/loupe.htm

This article has a lot of detailed information about optical
magnifiers in general.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-c...agnifiers.html

Here are some products I found online. Any recommendations or
suggestions?

This company offers mini-loupes in 4X, 6X, and 8X powers for just
$3.50 each and a headband to hold them for just $5:

I couldn't find the 4X loupe.

http://www.seeitbigger.com/Carson_Lo...d_p/c-ml30.htm
http://www.seeitbigger.com/Carson_Ma...p/cdl-ml66.htm
http://www.seeitbigger.com/Carson_Ma...p/cdl-ml88.htm

This $40 headband magnifier had 4 lenses (1.2X, 1.8X, 2.5X, and 3.5X
and a small headlight. I can't tell if the lenses flip up.

Is 3.5X enough magnification?
http://www.nationaljewelerssupplies..../PROD/ETELP550

The same company offers this headband magnifier for $60. These lenses
(2X, 2.5X, 3X) do flip up, but it is not lighted.

http://www.nationaljewelerssupplies....NJS/PROD/AMmg3

Amazon is selling this set of 5 watchmaker's loupes for $13. Based on
the reviews, it's not clear if these are 2X, 3X, 5X, 7X and 10X or 1X,
2X, 3X, 4X, and 5X.

These are loose loupes (no headband), which I presume you wedge into
your eye. I've seen jewelers use them that way, so it must work, but
I'm thinking some sort of headband like the first entry would be
easier to use, especially for work taking more than a few minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmakers-Ey...ef=pd_sbs_op_5

This $45 product from Bausch & Lomb claims to have top quality optics.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bausch-l...gna-visor.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 23:37:37 -0800, Square Peg wrote:

Any recommendations for magnifying lenses for very fine work?

I've used those lighted magnifying desk lamps with some success, but
they are only good for desk work. I am wondering if some sort of loupe
like jewelers or dentists use might be worth buying.

My dentist told me that dental loupes cost $1,000 or more. That's a bit
more than I was planning on spending.

How much magnification is needed or useful? According to Wikipedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loupe, jewelers use 10X magnification to
inspect diamonds for blemishes, but dentists only use 2X-5X, so
something in that range ought to be good enough for removing slivers and
soldering. ;-)

.......{snip}

I am sure you already know this:
The added cost of the doctor / dentist optical headgear is for the
distance from your eyes to the focal point of the magnification. With a
jeweler's loupe, the object must be held real close to your face to be in
focus. The high power lighted medical versions, which cost a lot of
money, have the focal point a few feet away, not a few inches. Focal
point distance is part of the specification listed for Medical surgical
optical magnification devices (at least it was a few years ago when I
looked them up.) As your dentist told you, very $$$$.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 04:41:23 -0600, Phil Again
wrote:

[...]

Well, it's been a long time since sophomore physics, so my optics
knowledge is......rusty.

Is there any way to tell from the product descriptions how close the
work needs to be to be in focus?

For what I need, I think anything from about 6" to 12" would be OK. I
would also want an inch or two of latitude where it would stay in
focus.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, it's been a long time since sophomore physics, so my optics
knowledge is......rusty.

Is there any way to tell from the product descriptions how close the
work needs to be to be in focus?

For what I need, I think anything from about 6" to 12" would be OK. I
would also want an inch or two of latitude where it would stay in focus.

Speaking as a general rule on inexpensive magnifiers, no there is no way
to tell from an Internet product description what the focal length is,
nor the depth of the field for the focus range. Other than the higher
the magnification, the closer the focal point.

IIRC, makers like Carl Ziess don't like to use the term 'magnifiers' for
the 6 to 12 inches range. They tend to be more 'binocular' that is two
small telescopic like devices attached (protruding) from a pair of
glasses. The longer the focal distance (and the wider the focal range)
requires many lenses.

some reading material:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-c...agnifiers.html

Try before you buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote in
:

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmakers-Ey...E4Z3YU/ref=pd_
sbs_op_5

This $45 product from Bausch & Lomb claims to have top quality optics.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bausch-l...gna-visor.html

on Ebay,you can find binocular clip-on magnifiers that have magnification
ranges of 1.75X to 3X,for around $10. they are easy to use,if you don't
wear glasses,they come with a frame with no lenses for you to clip on the
magnifier.the magnifier flips up out of the way when you don't need it,and
you can look around it,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
Any recommendations for magnifying lenses for very fine work?

For fine electronic and mechanical work
I use a pair of multiple lens
glasses which are similar to those that
surgeons use which have
the extra lenses glued to regular
glasses. Mine are made by a company
called kbk, who or whatever they are.
If you google "reading telescopes"
you will find many links. I bought mine
about 10 years ago when I
had one of those pre-tax health accounts
where I didn't spend the
money in a particular year. I guess we
didn't get sick that year or
need a lot of meds. Normally you would
loose it, however, I asked
a low vision optometrist if he could
prescribe the telescope glasses because I
needed them to see small electronic
parts for my job. They were
between $200 and $300 and were covered
from the pre-tax account,
which would have been lost money anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Dec 2008 12:47:42 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Square Peg wrote in
:

[...]

Do you have any of these? What magnification is best for general
household work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:

[...]

I fiddled with a number of magnifiers for needlework until I discovered
a needle threader that doesn't
rquire "aiming" ..... the sewing machine needle is still a challenge,
but good lighting helps that along.

I once worked for a doctor who wore binocular magnifiers that were worn
on a headband and could
be flipped up, out of the way, when needed. Not expensive, have seen
them at hobby suppliers.

What sort of "fine work" are you doing? Stationary, moving around, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
Any recommendations for magnifying lenses for very fine work?

I've used those lighted magnifying desk lamps with some success, but
they are only good for desk work. I am wondering if some sort of loupe
like jewelers or dentists use might be worth buying.

My dentist told me that dental loupes cost $1,000 or more. That's a
bit more than I was planning on spending.

How much magnification is needed or useful? According to Wikipedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loupe, jewelers use 10X magnification to
inspect diamonds for blemishes, but dentists only use 2X-5X, so
something in that range ought to be good enough for removing slivers
and soldering. ;-)

Two mostly unrelated points:

1) Try a pair of the highest-power reading glasses from your local
drugstore first and see if that does it for you.

2) The best lenses might be triplets, but they are not *that* much
better than doublets, and singlets are probably good enough.

I have a cheap (about $1) 4x loupe from HarborFreight that I use for
removing tiny splinters, etc. But for most close work I just use
reading glasses -- I think they are 2.75x. The focal length of the 4x
loupe is less than 6", so you have to hold the work close to your eye.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote in
:

On 8 Dec 2008 12:47:42 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Square Peg wrote in
m:

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmakers-Ey...00E4Z3YU/ref=p
d_ sbs_op_5

This $45 product from Bausch & Lomb claims to have top quality
optics. http://www.opticsplanet.net/bausch-l...gna-visor.html

on Ebay,you can find binocular clip-on magnifiers that have
magnification ranges of 1.75X to 3X,for around $10. they are easy to
use,if you don't wear glasses,they come with a frame with no lenses
for you to clip on the magnifier.the magnifier flips up out of the way
when you don't need it,and you can look around it,too.

Do you have any of these? What magnification is best for general
household work?

I have one that is 2.25X,it's focal length is about 8-10 inches,and I use
it all the time. I'm 56 and my close focus is shot.
I've also seen them at Woodcraft.(a woodworker's supply store)
I got mine off Ebay.

BTW,I used to buy a similar,headband-type binoc magnifier at Home
Depot(~$20),but it was more unwieldy than the clip-on I use now.
Being able to look around the clip-on's lens is the advantage there.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Square Peg" wrote in message
[...]

I have used one like this for many years for fine work on pc boards,
threading needles, etc.

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3035681

At these low levels of magnification (2.5x) the quality of optics is not
likely to be a concern. You will have a wide field of view and your work
zone will be about eight inches from your face. They can be worn over
ordinary glasses and flip up when not needed.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:

-snip-
1) Try a pair of the highest-power reading glasses from your local
drugstore first and see if that does it for you.

2) The best lenses might be triplets, but they are not *that* much
better than doublets, and singlets are probably good enough.

I'm up to 2.75's now- and see they have 4x's at my local dollar store.
[and the good side is my optician doesn't think they'll do my eyes any
harm]

I have a cheap (about $1) 4x loupe from HarborFreight that I use for
removing tiny splinters, etc. But for most close work I just use
reading glasses -- I think they are 2.75x. The focal length of the 4x
loupe is less than 6", so you have to hold the work close to your eye.

for this kind of stuff I spent $12 at Radio Shack for a lighted
magnifier-
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102639

It is only 2x but the clarity and bright directional light make it
better than some 4x & 6x loupes and magnifiers I've got lying around.

I brought a fuse into RS one day that I was pretty sure had no legible
numbers on it. I'd even scanned it on the scanner hoping to read
something. The guy pulled out his 2x light & read the numbers right
off-- I could even read them. I got the right fuse and a magnifying
glass.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

[...]

The loupe is 10x. The clip on magnifiers on the glasses are from Harbor
Freight for a couple of bucks. The headband I have had for too long to
remember where it came from. I use all for electronic circuit work and
occasional focus on coins of interest. Somewhere I have a handheld
microscope that is battery operated to illuminate subject that I believe
is 30x from Radio Shack that uses pen light batteries. All together
possibly less than $20.

http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=s7001462.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Dec 2008 20:52:36 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Square Peg wrote in
:

[...]

So 2X-2.5X is enough magnification for you? I'm just a bit older than
you, so my near vision is probably a bit worse.

It sounds like you don't have to keep it exactly at the right distance
to have it stay in focus.

BTW,I used to buy a similar,headband-type binoc magnifier at Home
Depot(~$20),but it was more unwieldy than the clip-on I use now.
Being able to look around the clip-on's lens is the advantage there.

Good point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:49:27 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Square Peg wrote:
Any recommendations for magnifying lenses for very fine work?

I've used those lighted magnifying desk lamps with some success, but
they are only good for desk work. I am wondering if some sort of loupe
like jewelers or dentists use might be worth buying.

My dentist told me that dental loupes cost $1,000 or more. That's a
bit more than I was planning on spending.

How much magnification is needed or useful? According to Wikipedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loupe, jewelers use 10X magnification to
inspect diamonds for blemishes, but dentists only use 2X-5X, so
something in that range ought to be good enough for removing slivers
and soldering. ;-)

Two mostly unrelated points:

1) Try a pair of the highest-power reading glasses from your local
drugstore first and see if that does it for you.

I'm up to 2.5 - 3.0 for normal reading. I think I tried a pair of
3.5s, but maybe I should check that. Good idea.

2) The best lenses might be triplets, but they are not *that* much
better than doublets, and singlets are probably good enough.

I have a cheap (about $1) 4x loupe from HarborFreight that I use for
removing tiny splinters, etc. But for most close work I just use
reading glasses -- I think they are 2.75x. The focal length of the 4x
loupe is less than 6", so you have to hold the work close to your eye.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote in
news
On 8 Dec 2008 20:52:36 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Square Peg wrote in
m:

On 8 Dec 2008 12:47:42 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

on Ebay,you can find binocular clip-on magnifiers that have
magnification ranges of 1.75X to 3X,for around $10. they are easy to
use,if you don't wear glasses,they come with a frame with no lenses
for you to clip on the magnifier.the magnifier flips up out of the
way when you don't need it,and you can look around it,too.

Do you have any of these? What magnification is best for general
household work?

I have one that is 2.25X,it's focal length is about 8-10 inches,and I
use it all the time. I'm 56 and my close focus is shot.
I've also seen them at Woodcraft.(a woodworker's supply store)
I got mine off Ebay.

So 2X-2.5X is enough magnification for you?

for most things. I work on electronics with them.
Got them clipped on my bifocals.(getting old sucks...)

I'm just a bit older than
you, so my near vision is probably a bit worse.

It sounds like you don't have to keep it exactly at the right distance
to have it stay in focus.

Yes,it's nice.

BTW,I used to buy a similar,headband-type binoc magnifier at Home
Depot(~$20),but it was more unwieldy than the clip-on I use now.
Being able to look around the clip-on's lens is the advantage there.

Good point.

If you can score one for $10 off Ebay like I did($5 bid,$5 ship..),it's
well worth trying.

I think they're made in China and only cost the guy $2 in 1000 quantities.
that's capitalism.... 8-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 8, 1:37*am, Square Peg wrote:
Any recommendations for magnifying lenses for very fine work?

snip

One of the most widely used devices in electronic assembly lines and
many industries is the OPTIVISOR. I've had 2 sets for nearly 40 years
and although one is getting rather ratty from all the workshop abuse,
they are still the simplest thing to toss on and use, even over
glasses. The 10X set focuses at about 4 to 8 inches and the 5X set
maybe 16". They can still be purchased on line from many stores as
tools few fussy work. The binocular lenses are nice and large, with a
good field of view, and little distortion. Highly recommended. Checkit
out.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 19:21:04 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Dec 8, 1:37*am, Square Peg wrote:
Any recommendations for magnifying lenses for very fine work?

snip

One of the most widely used devices in electronic assembly lines and
many industries is the OPTIVISOR. I've had 2 sets for nearly 40 years
and although one is getting rather ratty from all the workshop abuse,
they are still the simplest thing to toss on and use, even over
glasses. The 10X set focuses at about 4 to 8 inches and the 5X set
maybe 16". They can still be purchased on line from many stores as
tools few fussy work. The binocular lenses are nice and large, with a
good field of view, and little distortion. Highly recommended. Checkit
out.

Many online stores sell them. Amazon has several from about $30-$40.
The manufacturer's website is:
http://www.doneganoptical.com/optivisor.php.

Do they come with more than one set of lenses with different
magnification? It wasn't clear from the description.

Based on your ling experience with the Optivisor, how do you think
they would compare with these competitors:

This one from Bausch & Lomb comes with 3 lenses and gets very high
reviews on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Bausch-Lomb-Ma...8804068&sr=8-2

This one comes with 4 lenses and a light:
http://www.amazon.com/Versatile-Head...8806178&sr=8-1
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmakers-Ey...ref=pd_sbs_op_
5

This $45 product from Bausch & Lomb claims to have top quality optics.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bausch-l...gna-visor.html

I'd recommend the binocular visor type. Search McMaster Carr for
"magnifying visor." They're $40 for any strength you want, and you can
buy interchangeable lenses. I wouldn't bother with the lighted variety
unless you need to use them where other light is not readily available.
Just something else to maintain and futz around with.

I use a very wide range of magnification at work for various tasks, and
the amount you need is pretty much dependent on what you're doing, and
your eyes. I've got a full range of drugstore reading glasses, the
visors, bench-mounted lighted magnifiers, and microscopes available.

Yes, depth of field decreases inversely to magnification.

I often wear the visor and a pair of reading glasses at the same time,
and flip the visor up or down as required to zoom in on my work. One
caveat with the visor is I don't recommend flipping them up to your
forehead while standing facing the sun.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 9, 1:05*am, Square Peg wrote:

snip

Many online stores sell them. Amazon has several from about $30-$40.
The manufacturer's website is:http://www.doneganoptical.com/optivisor.php..

Do they come with more than one set of lenses with different
magnification? It wasn't clear from the description.

Order with a standard lens set, add others as needed.

Based on your ling experience with the Optivisor, how do you think
they would compare with these competitors:

Donegan has been selling these for so many years virtually unchanged,
you know they got it right when they designed them. Kind of like a
paper clip, or vise grips, every thing else misses the mark in some
way. While some designs are interesting, most don't have the
appearance of being able to survive industrial usage, or careless
workshops. Don't think I'd trade my Optivisor for any of the current
offerings. My only complaint is that after 20 years or so, the
headbands get a little nasty. But they might go 30 years in an air
conditioned shop.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have 4 of Made-in-China 10X loupes. They were $1 each at a flea
market and find them helpful removing splinters, examining, soldered
joint inspection, PC components, etc. The quality is good enough for
me, but I'm not cutting diamonds either. I have a lighted lamp and
find it useful for sharpening and fine work, but natural light is
best. You will find you will need more light as you age. Try reading
glasses too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 18:14:21 -0500, Phisherman
wrote:

I have 4 of Made-in-China 10X loupes. They were $1 each at a flea
market and find them helpful removing splinters, examining, soldered
joint inspection, PC components, etc. The quality is good enough for
me, but I'm not cutting diamonds either. I have a lighted lamp and
find it useful for sharpening and fine work, but natural light is
best. You will find you will need more light as you age. Try reading
glasses too.

Ha-ha. I've been on reading glasses for 20 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:48:19 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

[...]

I stopped into a local optical shop that was listed on the Optivisor
websight. They had one unit in stock and 2 extra lenses (3X, 5X, &
7X). I don't have a major project right now, but it seems to work
pretty darn well.

Thanks