Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Recommendations for magnifying lenses for fine work

Square Peg wrote in
news
On 8 Dec 2008 20:52:36 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Square Peg wrote in
m:

On 8 Dec 2008 12:47:42 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

on Ebay,you can find binocular clip-on magnifiers that have
magnification ranges of 1.75X to 3X,for around $10. they are easy to
use,if you don't wear glasses,they come with a frame with no lenses
for you to clip on the magnifier.the magnifier flips up out of the
way when you don't need it,and you can look around it,too.

Do you have any of these? What magnification is best for general
household work?

I have one that is 2.25X,it's focal length is about 8-10 inches,and I
use it all the time. I'm 56 and my close focus is shot.
I've also seen them at Woodcraft.(a woodworker's supply store)
I got mine off Ebay.

So 2X-2.5X is enough magnification for you?

for most things. I work on electronics with them.
Got them clipped on my bifocals.(getting old sucks...)

I'm just a bit older than
you, so my near vision is probably a bit worse.

It sounds like you don't have to keep it exactly at the right distance
to have it stay in focus.

Yes,it's nice.

BTW,I used to buy a similar,headband-type binoc magnifier at Home
Depot(~$20),but it was more unwieldy than the clip-on I use now.
Being able to look around the clip-on's lens is the advantage there.

Good point.

If you can score one for $10 off Ebay like I did($5 bid,$5 ship..),it's
well worth trying.

I think they're made in China and only cost the guy $2 in 1000 quantities.
that's capitalism.... 8-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik