Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

Default Recommendations for magnifying lenses for fine work

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 23:37:37 -0800, Square Peg wrote:

Any recommendations for magnifying lenses for very fine work?

I've used those lighted magnifying desk lamps with some success, but
they are only good for desk work. I am wondering if some sort of loupe
like jewelers or dentists use might be worth buying.

My dentist told me that dental loupes cost $1,000 or more. That's a bit
more than I was planning on spending.

How much magnification is needed or useful? According to Wikipedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loupe, jewelers use 10X magnification to
inspect diamonds for blemishes, but dentists only use 2X-5X, so
something in that range ought to be good enough for removing slivers and
soldering. ;-)

This article says that good jeweler's loupes are triplets -- three
lenses combined so as to correct (or minimize) distortion. I am guessing
that this is not important for general use.
http://jewelry.about.com/od/jewelrya...l/ss/loupe.htm

This article has a lot of detailed information about optical magnifiers
in general.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-c...agnifiers.html

Here are some products I found online. Any recommendations or
suggestions?

This company offers mini-loupes in 4X, 6X, and 8X powers for just $3.50
each and a headband to hold them for just $5:

I couldn't find the 4X loupe.

http://www.seeitbigger.com/Carson_Lo...d_p/c-ml30.htm
http://www.seeitbigger.com/Carson_Ma...p/cdl-ml66.htm
http://www.seeitbigger.com/Carson_Ma...p/cdl-ml88.htm

This $40 headband magnifier had 4 lenses (1.2X, 1.8X, 2.5X, and 3.5X and
a small headlight. I can't tell if the lenses flip up.

Is 3.5X enough magnification?
http://www.nationaljewelerssupplies..../PROD/ETELP550

The same company offers this headband magnifier for $60. These lenses
(2X, 2.5X, 3X) do flip up, but it is not lighted.

http://www.nationaljewelerssupplies....NJS/PROD/AMmg3

Amazon is selling this set of 5 watchmaker's loupes for $13. Based on
the reviews, it's not clear if these are 2X, 3X, 5X, 7X and 10X or 1X,
2X, 3X, 4X, and 5X.

These are loose loupes (no headband), which I presume you wedge into
your eye. I've seen jewelers use them that way, so it must work, but I'm
thinking some sort of headband like the first entry would be easier to
use, especially for work taking more than a few minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmakers-Ey...ef=pd_sbs_op_5

This $45 product from Bausch & Lomb claims to have top quality optics.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bausch-l...gna-visor.html

The loupe is 10x. The clip on magnifiers on the glasses are from Harbor
Freight for a couple of bucks. The headband I have had for too long to
remember where it came from. I use all for electronic circuit work and
occasional focus on coins of interest. Somewhere I have a handheld
microscope that is battery operated to illuminate subject that I believe
is 30x from Radio Shack that uses pen light batteries. All together
possibly less than $20.

http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=s7001462.jpg