Posted to alt.home.repair
Square Peg Square Peg is offline

Default Recommendations for magnifying lenses for fine work

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:48:19 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Dec 9, 1:05*am, Square Peg wrote:

snip

Many online stores sell them. Amazon has several from about $30-$40.
The manufacturer's website is:http://www.doneganoptical.com/optivisor.php.

Do they come with more than one set of lenses with different
magnification? It wasn't clear from the description.

Order with a standard lens set, add others as needed.

Based on your ling experience with the Optivisor, how do you think
they would compare with these competitors:

Donegan has been selling these for so many years virtually unchanged,
you know they got it right when they designed them. Kind of like a
paper clip, or vise grips, every thing else misses the mark in some
way. While some designs are interesting, most don't have the
appearance of being able to survive industrial usage, or careless
workshops. Don't think I'd trade my Optivisor for any of the current
offerings. My only complaint is that after 20 years or so, the
headbands get a little nasty. But they might go 30 years in an air
conditioned shop.

I stopped into a local optical shop that was listed on the Optivisor
websight. They had one unit in stock and 2 extra lenses (3X, 5X, &
7X). I don't have a major project right now, but it seems to work
pretty darn well.

Thanks