Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Possible bad ground wire, please help

I just recently moved into a house that had all the electrical service
updated. At first things seemed to work, lately this has changed. I
am getting small shocks more than i ever did, its stronger than a
static shock. When this happens, it drops the voltage enough to
restart my computer. At first I thought this was a computer issue
until I had it reset without laying a finger on it by getting a shock
from the cell phone charger. Any shock I receive in the room its in
will cause the computer to reset. What is causing this? Bad ground?
The wiring is in wrong?

any ideas will help, thank you for your time

Bill in SD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I just recently moved into a house that had all the electrical service
updated. At first things seemed to work, lately this has changed. I
am getting small shocks more than i ever did, its stronger than a
static shock. When this happens, it drops the voltage enough to
restart my computer. At first I thought this was a computer issue
until I had it reset without laying a finger on it by getting a shock
from the cell phone charger. Any shock I receive in the room its in
will cause the computer to reset. What is causing this? Bad ground?
The wiring is in wrong?

any ideas will help, thank you for your time

Bill in SD

There's just not enough information to guess at it. I would have the neutral
conductor feeding the building checked, as well as the circuit neutral
conductors in the panel, and check the integrity of the grounding system.
Get an outlet tester and see what it tells you

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I just recently moved into a house that had all the electrical service
updated. At first things seemed to work, lately this has changed. I
am getting small shocks more than i ever did, its stronger than a
static shock. When this happens, it drops the voltage enough to
restart my computer. At first I thought this was a computer issue
until I had it reset without laying a finger on it by getting a shock
from the cell phone charger. Any shock I receive in the room its in
will cause the computer to reset. What is causing this? Bad ground?
The wiring is in wrong?

Reverse polarity comes to mind. Something shorting to something ungrounded
is a possibility. The fact that the service was upgraded may be a clue. Is
this a very old house with knob and tube wiring? You need to start opening
up receptacles and your circuit breaker panel and check to make sure that
everything is wired correctly. I assume that there are no problems with
your computer or a power strip.

Many years ago I had a customer complain to me that he kept getting shocks
in his master bathroom when he touched the medicine cabinet. When I first
checked it there was no problem. I checked it again before I left and there
was 120 volts. The problem turned out to be in the other bathroom. The
Romex feed into that switch box had the ground disconnected and the BX cable
that went to the light in that bathroom was shorted to the armor. When
someone turned on that switch everything became hot, but the breaker did not
trip because the feed wire ground was disconnected. I guess someone figured
that was causing the breaker to trip and it was an easy fix to just
disconnect it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 3:59 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
I just recently moved into a house that had all the electrical service
updated. At first things seemed to work, lately this has changed. I
am getting small shocks more than i ever did, its stronger than a
static shock. When this happens, it drops the voltage enough to
restart my computer. At first I thought this was a computer issue
until I had it reset without laying a finger on it by getting a shock
from the cell phone charger. Any shock I receive in the room its in
will cause the computer to reset. What is causing this? Bad ground?
The wiring is in wrong?

any ideas will help, thank you for your time

Bill in SD

Assuming this is not a troll.....

It might help if you told us what you were doing or touching and what
you were standing on and wearing on your feet when you get those shocks.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

It happens when I touch anything in the room when a shock goes off,
cell phone charger, anything plugged in, sitting or standing doesn't
matter.. i just added in a battery backup to try and get around the
drops, no luck there. I do have a good volt meter, how would i use
this to check the ground in the basement ground system? I also do
not know what wiring was in this house before, but it all was ripped
out and replaced with new wiring and new circut breaker box from the
old style screw in breaker box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I think that you should call in an expert. You have an electrical hazard
and you are asking how to use a voltmeter. Get a pro before one of those
shocks goes through your heart muscle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Please explain what you mean when you write, "when a shock goes off"? Do
you hear a noise or do electric lights flicker when that description
applies?

Do you have to be touching just METAL parts of those "anythings" which
are plugged in? i.e. do you also get a shock when touching non-metalic
portions of them?

I don't think I'm going to be the only one here somewhat baffled by your
problem. If you feel a shock while touching something while sitting in a
nonconductive chair, there must be one heck of a high voltage present on
the things you touch.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Seconded.

The first thing you can do that will be free is call the power
company. They will check their connections and you can be prepared to
tighten the connections in your panel while the power company has the
power off.

The guy from the power company may point out something that is
obviously wrong. He will most likely be standing there watching you
anyway.

He is getting paid pretty good to be leaning on the wall watching you
too..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...

wrote:

[...]

Just how close to those high tension towers is your house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

try the voltmeter from watever you tough to a known good ground
(copper water pipe - cold, hard water if you have more than one, and
check for voltage.

if there is no reading above about 4 or 5, plug in a few teakettles in
the room and see if it gets better or worse. At this time of year,
with central heating running (at least here in Southern Ontario) the
RH drops like a stone.. I'm maintaining 30% and my house is pretty
tight.

If the shocking is less, it's most likely static. If it stays the same
or gets worse, it's likely a problem.

The thing with static is, YOU are the voltage source, relative to
ground, and the high voltage surge going back through whatever
electrical item you touch, CAN get back int some comouters and cause a
reset.

You didn't say if you ever get shocks from anything that is either
non-electric or not plugged in.

I DID have a real strange one years ago at our car club. It was a
converted chicken barn with steel siding and a partial concrete floor
re-enforced with fencewire mesh. We started getting shocks when we
touched the siding, and I got a REAL dandy when using my old 2 wire 8"
hand grinder and my knee hit an exposed chunk of re-enforcement wire.

Then I was hot on the trail. Found the CB radio sitting on top of the
fridge in the club room had fried it's power supply - and it was
pumping 115 volts out the ground grade of the antenna - which was also
fastened to a metal bracket screwed to the siding.

Pitched the CB and no mare shocks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 17:51:53 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

[...]

Static - Only option if that is the case, even with Euro power (220
50hz)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OP says......
When this happens, it drops the voltage enough to
restart my computer.

This is not static. If it happens to everything, then the service has
to be the cause.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 3:01*pm, wrote:
I just recently moved into a house that had all the electrical service
updated. *At first things seemed to work, lately this has changed. *I
am getting small shocks more than i ever did, its stronger than a
static shock. *When this happens, it drops the voltage enough to
restart my computer. *At first I thought this was a computer issue
until I had it reset without laying a finger on it by getting a shock
from the cell phone charger. *Any shock I receive in the room its in
will cause the computer to reset. *What is causing this? *Bad ground?
The wiring is in wrong?

* *any ideas will help, thank you for your time

* * * * * * Bill in SD

The electric co should come out fast and for free, find the guy that
did the upgrade, the city will have the permit on file and may send
the inspector to help. A new service should have no issues , the guy
that did the upgrade waranties his work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The OP has no way of knowing the voltage drops. Static discharge could
cause a crash and reboot. Less likely touching other things in the room
would cause that. I would include static as a possible cause.

The OP hasn't said he had 2 contact points to get a shock, which would
be necessary for a power line problem. Could be he does have 2 contact
points and isn't describing them. Information provided is minimal.

I would think anything accessible with a cell phone charger would be
isolated from H-N-G.

Could be a troll.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Or a very strange problem.

One more question for the Op....You say you installed a UPS, and it
didn't stop the problem. A UPS would certainly stop the computer
from resetting no matter what is going on in your house. If your
computer is still rebooting on the UPS, the problem is with the
computer. The other things you describe sound very much like static.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If he's drawing enough current to drop the voltage on his computer
to less than the required 87 volts or whatever the switcher requires
to run, he wouldn't be standing, much less typing on a computer.

Do his lights dim too?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Troll. notice the lack of a comeback by the OP

Could be dead from trolling newsgroups for answers instead of calling an
electrician...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 10:24*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 18:27:39 -0500, metspitzer

* try the voltmeter from ...

Modern volt meters are not a good choice. All you need is to pick
up some induction and you get a reading, even on a totally deal line.
An old analog volt meter may help, but I have to agree with many of
the others, this is time to get a pro, or at least someone
knowledgeable working on it and not the average homeowner as there are
too many possible little known dangerous situations.