Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Possible bad ground wire, please help

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 09:52:48 -0600, bud--
wrote:

metspitzer wrote:
On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 22:26:03 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 17:51:53 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

On Dec 1, 3:59 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

wrote:

I just recently moved into a house that had all the electrical service
updated. At first things seemed to work, lately this has changed. I
am getting small shocks more than i ever did, its stronger than a
static shock. When this happens, it drops the voltage enough to
restart my computer. At first I thought this was a computer issue
until I had it reset without laying a finger on it by getting a shock
from the cell phone charger. Any shock I receive in the room its in
will cause the computer to reset. What is causing this? Bad ground?
The wiring is in wrong?
any ideas will help, thank you for your time
Bill in SD
Assuming this is not a troll.....

It might help if you told us what you were doing or touching and what
you were standing on and wearing on your feet when you get those shocks.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

It happens when I touch anything in the room when a shock goes off,
cell phone charger, anything plugged in, sitting or standing doesn't
matter.. i just added in a battery backup to try and get around the
drops, no luck there. I do have a good volt meter, how would i use
this to check the ground in the basement ground system? I also do
not know what wiring was in this house before, but it all was ripped
out and replaced with new wiring and new circut breaker box from the
old style screw in breaker box.
Please explain what you mean when you write, "when a shock goes off"? Do
you hear a noise or do electric lights flicker when that description
applies?

Do you have to be touching just METAL parts of those "anythings" which
are plugged in? i.e. do you also get a shock when touching non-metalic
portions of them?

I don't think I'm going to be the only one here somewhat baffled by your
problem. If you feel a shock while touching something while sitting in a
nonconductive chair, there must be one heck of a high voltage present on
the things you touch.

Jeff
Static - Only option if that is the case, even with Euro power (220
50hz)

OP says......
When this happens, it drops the voltage enough to
restart my computer.

This is not static. If it happens to everything, then the service has
to be the cause.

The OP has no way of knowing the voltage drops. Static discharge could
cause a crash and reboot. Less likely touching other things in the room
would cause that. I would include static as a possible cause.

The OP hasn't said he had 2 contact points to get a shock, which would
be necessary for a power line problem. Could be he does have 2 contact
points and isn't describing them. Information provided is minimal.

I would think anything accessible with a cell phone charger would be
isolated from H-N-G.

Could be a troll.

Or a very strange problem.

One more question for the Op....You say you installed a UPS, and it
didn't stop the problem. A UPS would certainly stop the computer
from resetting no matter what is going on in your house. If your
computer is still rebooting on the UPS, the problem is with the
computer. The other things you describe sound very much like static.