Posted to alt.home.repair
drb drb is offline

Default cell phone reception in a new house

This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me. I have a house
that is about 3 years old. I know there is foil lined walls and roof
(inside). As a result the cell phone reception in this house is very
poor except for maybe one or two spots. Any way to get better
coverage inside the house for the cell phone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"drb" wrote in message ...
This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me. I have a house
that is about 3 years old. I know there is foil lined walls and roof
(inside). As a result the cell phone reception in this house is very
poor except for maybe one or two spots. Any way to get better
coverage inside the house for the cell phone?

Use a repeater / booster. A bit pricey but very effective:

http://www.repeaterstore.com/product...dual-band.html

There are cheaper units which also make an improvement, but you will need to
research various products and pricing based on your specific circumstances.

Hope this helps you,

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:45:33 -0600, drb wrote:

This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me.

I see people going outside to make a cell phone call. I think the
best solution is to have a real (wired) phone.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

drb wrote:
This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me. I have a house
that is about 3 years old. I know there is foil lined walls and roof
(inside). As a result the cell phone reception in this house is very
poor except for maybe one or two spots. Any way to get better
coverage inside the house for the cell phone?

The least expensive I've seen:

http://www.calcellular.com/ext-antenna.html

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:45:33 -0600, drb wrote:

This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me. I have a house
that is about 3 years old. I know there is foil lined walls and roof
(inside). As a result the cell phone reception in this house is very
poor except for maybe one or two spots. Any way to get better
coverage inside the house for the cell phone?

Lot's of ways, from adding an external antenna to installing a short
range repeater. What is possible in your particular situation depends
on your phone and the frequency and technology used by your carrier.

Here's a place to start looking:

http://www.alternativewireless.com/i...ion/index.html

You may want to try a different brand/model phone first. I'm found
Motorola phones to have best weak signal performance. You're provider
may allow you to try different phones before you buy one.

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 22:01:12 -0500, "Smarty"
wrote:

"drb" wrote in message ...
This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me. I have a house
that is about 3 years old. I know there is foil lined walls and roof
(inside). As a result the cell phone reception in this house is very
poor except for maybe one or two spots. Any way to get better
coverage inside the house for the cell phone?

Use a repeater / booster. A bit pricey but very effective:

http://www.repeaterstore.com/product...dual-band.html

There are cheaper units which also make an improvement, but you will need to
research various products and pricing based on your specific circumstances.

Hope this helps you,

Smarty

A "passive repeater" works well if you have a relatively strong
signal. Basically 2 antennas - one inside and one outside, tied
together with co-ax.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 22:30:15 -0500, Paul Franklin
wrote:

[...]

That's if you can find a Motorola phone that works.My first (and last)
motorola was back for repair/exchange 6 times before they lost it and
replaced it with a new one. Daughter has a Razr or whatever they call
them just about a year old and the battery doen't last 7 hours on
standby.

I have been using, and satisfied with, Nokia phones for several years
before and since the Motorola. (these are GSM phones)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've come to dislike Motorola phones as well. I recently had to change
to a Motorola Z6c "world edition" to get added GSM capability, and while
it does generally work ok, I find I like it significantly less than the
LG VX8-something-or-other it replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me. I have a house
that is about 3 years old. I know there is foil lined walls and
roof
(inside). As a result the cell phone reception in this house is
very
poor except for maybe one or two spots. Any way to get better
coverage inside the house for the cell phone?

There are repeaters sold for the purpose--they don't work very well
and don't last very long and cost a ludicrous amount of money for what
they are, but they do exist.

Google "cellular repeater" and you'll find a number of brands.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

drb wrote:
This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me. I have a house
that is about 3 years old. I know there is foil lined walls and roof
(inside). As a result the cell phone reception in this house is very
poor except for maybe one or two spots. Any way to get better
coverage inside the house for the cell phone?

My house is much older but TV, radio and cell phone reception are all
poor due to all the signals coming from the other side of the hill I
live on. I go outside to use cell phone. No big deal as I still have
copper lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 9:45*pm, drb wrote:
Any way to get better
coverage inside the house for the cell phone?

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/Products.php?Type=B

I just mounted my old trucker antenna while waiting for Verizon to put
in a closer tower.
http://www.wilsonelectronics.com////...ductB.php?ID=1
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33oi650&s=4
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan Platt wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:41:11 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

There are repeaters sold for the purpose--they don't work very well
and don't last very long and cost a ludicrous amount of money for what
they are, but they do exist.

Google "cellular repeater" and you'll find a number of brands.

I just love when people spout opinion as fact.

I worked for a corporate cellular store. We installed one in our
office, and installed a number at our customers sites. All worked
flawlessly for at least the 7+ years I worked there, and as far as I
know, are still going strong (I haven't worked there in 5+ years, so
do the math).

I work at a number of locations that have them installed and they work
fine including the original installation of a similar age that you
mentioned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There are repeaters sold for the purpose--they don't work very well and
don't last very long and cost a ludicrous amount of money for what they
are, but they do exist.

Google "cellular repeater" and you'll find a number of brands.

I just love when people spout opinion as fact.

I worked for a corporate cellular store. We installed one in our
office, and installed a number at our customers sites. All worked
flawlessly for at least the 7+ years I worked there, and as far as I
know, are still going strong (I haven't worked there in 5+ years, so
do the math).

I work at a number of locations that have them installed and they work
fine including the original installation of a similar age that you
mentioned.

My experiences were also very favorable which is why I originally
recommended the repeater approach. Those of us who are ham radio operators
have used repeaters for decades with huge success to extend the range of
little walky-talky pocket radios.

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

drb wrote:
This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me. I have a house
that is about 3 years old. I know there is foil lined walls and roof
(inside). As a result the cell phone reception in this house is very
poor except for maybe one or two spots. Any way to get better
coverage inside the house for the cell phone?

I've seen them everywhere from $7 that looks like a piece of tape with gold
pen marks on it to a base station with antenna and wires for $270.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There are repeaters sold for the purpose--they don't work very well
and don't last very long and cost a ludicrous amount of money for what
they are, but they do exist.

Google "cellular repeater" and you'll find a number of brands.

I just love when people spout opinion as fact.

I worked for a corporate cellular store. We installed one in our
office, and installed a number at our customers sites. All worked
flawlessly for at least the 7+ years I worked there, and as far as I
know, are still going strong (I haven't worked there in 5+ years, so
do the math).

Do you have any experience with the passive
repeaters? It's the same basic technology
that has been used for many years to keep
radios working in tunnels, mines and any
type of structure that would tend to block
or severely attenuate wireless communication.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There are repeaters sold for the purpose--they don't work very well
and don't last very long and cost a ludicrous amount of money for what
they are, but they do exist.

Google "cellular repeater" and you'll find a number of brands.

I just love when people spout opinion as fact.

I worked for a corporate cellular store. We installed one in our
office, and installed a number at our customers sites. All worked
flawlessly for at least the 7+ years I worked there, and as far as I
know, are still going strong (I haven't worked there in 5+ years, so
do the math).

Do you have any experience with the passive
repeaters? It's the same basic technology
that has been used for many years to keep
radios working in tunnels, mines and any
type of structure that would tend to block
or severely attenuate wireless communication.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Is there cheap passive stuff that works?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Agreed, they work, but the price will make OP cry. We priced one for use
in a metal-skinned warehouse, and they STARTED around $700 for the
entry-level model. Has OP ever thought of just using a Real Telephone at
home?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 12:23*pm, gpsman wrote:
On Nov 28, 9:45*pm, drb wrote:

Any way to get better
coverage inside the house for the cell phone?

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/Products.php?Type=B

I just mounted my old trucker antenna while waiting for Verizon to put
in a closer tower.http://www.wilsonelectronics.com////...ic=33oi650&s=4
*-----

- gpsman

Did that help much?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
There are repeaters sold for the purpose--they don't work very well
and don't last very long and cost a ludicrous amount of money for what
they are, but they do exist.

Google "cellular repeater" and you'll find a number of brands.

I just love when people spout opinion as fact.

I worked for a corporate cellular store. We installed one in our
office, and installed a number at our customers sites. All worked
flawlessly for at least the 7+ years I worked there, and as far as I
know, are still going strong (I haven't worked there in 5+ years, so
do the math).

What is best and cheapest, I have ATT 3g and my city wont allow the
antennas needed so I often drop connection and go to non 3g at 1-2 bar
with a new phone. My city doesnt want the "eyesore" of more antennas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 9:45*pm, drb wrote:
This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me. *I have a house
that is about 3 years old. *I know there is foil lined walls and roof
(inside). *As a result the cell phone reception in this house is very
poor except for maybe one or two spots. * Any way to get better
coverage inside the house for the cell phone?

I would not blame it on the insulation. I have a well insulated
home with foil backed insulation all around and my crummy reception
inside is the same outside. Some times OK sometimes not. That said,
you could try hunting around your home to find what spot or spots are
best and worse or just follow the advice others have given you.

I have a cable based phone as well as my cell phone. The cable
phone is cheap and no cost long distance, and I have a pay as you go
cell phone, which I pay about $12.00 a year for. I don't use it much
except when traveling. As a side benefit, I have a backup in the
event one or the other goes out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What is best and cheapest, I have ATT 3g and my city wont allow the
antennas needed so I often drop connection and go to non 3g at 1-2 bar
with a new phone. My city doesnt want the "eyesore" of more antennas.- Hide quoted text -

theres a federal law permitting tv and satellite dish antennas, a yagi
cell antenna should fall in that law.

yagi cell antenna looks very close to a UHF tv antenna

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 10:14*am, " wrote:
What is best and cheapest, I have ATT 3g and my city wont allow the
antennas needed so I often drop connection and go to non 3g at 1-2 bar
with a new phone. My city doesnt want the "eyesore" of more antennas.- Hide quoted text -

theres a federal law permitting tv and satellite dish antennas, a yagi
cell antenna should fall in that law.

yagi cell antenna looks very close to a UHF tv antenna

Doesnt an antenna need some type of box or booster for cell phones.
How does this get hooked up and operate, a tv you plug into an
antenna, but a cell phone is being boosted so I would guess a reciever
is needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 1:35�pm, ransley wrote:
On Nov 30, 10:14�am, " wrote:

What is best and cheapest, I have ATT 3g and my city wont allow the
antennas needed so I often drop connection and go to non 3g at 1-2 bar
with a new phone. My city doesnt want the "eyesore" of more antennas.- Hide quoted text -

theres a federal law permitting tv and satellite dish antennas, a yagi
cell antenna should fall in that law.

yagi cell antenna looks very close to a UHF tv antenna

Doesnt an antenna need some type of box or booster for cell phones.
How does this get hooked up and operate, a tv you plug into an
antenna, but a cell phone is being boosted so I would guess a reciever
is needed.

all cell phones have built in antennas and most cell phones have a
jack covered with rubber plug to connect a external antenna.like this

I have done this in the past with great success.

although a booster a receiver with boosted output is nicer, it
elminates being tied to a cord.

ine friend had a home with no cell service, i took the antenna inside,
put in on the table, plugged it in and instant 5 bars she sat it on
top of a cabinet and never did mount it outdoors
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:43:49 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:
all cell phones have built in antennas and most cell phones have a
jack covered with rubber plug to connect a external antenna.like this

I have done this in the past with great success.

although a booster a receiver with boosted output is nicer, it
elminates being tied to a cord.

ine friend had a home with no cell service, i took the antenna inside,
put in on the table, plugged it in and instant 5 bars she sat it on
top of a cabinet and never did mount it outdoors

Could y'all tell me: where is the jack covered with a rubber plug on a
Nokia 6103?
tia

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
all cell phones have built in antennas and most cell phones have a
jack covered with rubber plug to connect a external antenna.like this

I have done this in the past with great success.

although a booster a receiver with boosted output is nicer, it
elminates being tied to a cord.

ine friend had a home with no cell service, i took the antenna inside,
put in on the table, plugged it in and instant 5 bars she sat it on
top of a cabinet and never did mount it outdoors

Could y'all tell me: where is the jack covered with a rubber plug on a
Nokia 6103?
tia

Quite possible the 6103 does not have

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
all cell phones have built in antennas and most cell phones have a
jack covered with rubber plug to connect a external antenna.like this

I have done this in the past with great success.

although a booster �a receiver with boosted output is nicer, it
elminates being tied to a cord.

ine friend had a home with no cell service, i took the antenna inside,
put in on the table, plugged it in and instant 5 bars she sat it on
top of a cabinet and never did mount it outdoors

Could y'all tell me: where is the jack covered with a rubber plug on a
Nokia 6103?
tia

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

the e bay seller has it listed. you can check the owners manual.

verizon knows nothing of these jacks
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
all cell phones have built in antennas and most cell phones have a
jack covered with rubber plug to connect a external antenna.like this

I have done this in the past with great success.

although a booster a receiver with boosted output is nicer, it
elminates being tied to a cord.

ine friend had a home with no cell service, i took the antenna inside,
put in on the table, plugged it in and instant 5 bars she sat it on
top of a cabinet and never did mount it outdoors

Could y'all tell me: where is the jack covered with a rubber plug on a
Nokia 6103?
tia

Howdy,

Does its antenna "post" unscrew...??

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

What is best and cheapest, I have ATT 3g and my city wont allow the
antennas needed so I often drop connection and go to non 3g at 1-2 bar
with a new phone. My city doesnt want the "eyesore" of more antennas.- Hide quoted text -

the answer to better in home cellphone coverage may be here soon..
see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtocell

Mark

cell phone ransley Home Repair 14 September 5th 08 11:47 PM
Improving Mobile Phone Reception in Car Steve Walker UK diy 0 January 27th 07 05:01 PM
Can I switch the sim in my damaged Cell Phone to a new Cell Phone? [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 September 30th 06 12:58 AM
Cell phone LOL!! Michael Kennedy Electronics Repair 12 October 7th 05 08:12 PM
Any way to improve cell phone reception? Dan Electronics Repair 7 June 20th 05 09:31 PM