Dan

Default Any way to improve cell phone reception?

My wife & I are in the process of moving & are living on opposite sides
of the continent for awhile. To lower phone bills, we got a cell plan
that gives us unlimited minutes to one another (Cingular). My phone (a
Motorola V180) gets great reception around town, but naturally, I have
found it gets lousy reception from my home, where I generally am when we
talk. 0 to 2 bars, usually 1. So I'm wondering if there's any way to
inprove reception, like an external antenna, even a clip lead attached
to the antenna connection inside (which I have not tried yet). Phone
has a stub antenna about 1 inch long. Suggestions appreciated.

Dan
NSM

"Dan" wrote in message

My wife & I are in the process of moving & are living on opposite sides
of the continent for awhile. To lower phone bills, we got a cell plan
that gives us unlimited minutes to one another (Cingular). My phone (a
Motorola V180) gets great reception around town, but naturally, I have
found it gets lousy reception from my home, where I generally am when we
talk. 0 to 2 bars, usually 1. So I'm wondering if there's any way to
inprove reception, like an external antenna, even a clip lead attached
to the antenna connection inside (which I have not tried yet). Phone
has a stub antenna about 1 inch long. Suggestions appreciated.

FWIW. Figure out where the closest tower is and build a yagi antenna
(http://www.clarc.org/Articles/uhf.htm) to point to that. Couple that to a
small vertical whip and see how well that works. You can often make a test
yagi out of the old TV antenna ribbon and see how it works. YMMV.

Dan

NSM wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the reply. At least one company offers a solution along
these lines, but a repeater incorporating an amplifier rather than a
"passive" arrangement, which they claim is not feasible due to the low
signal levels (but then, they WOULD say that, wouldn't they?). Around
700 bucks. Yeeesh. They do offer a $100 800 mhz yagi (my freq), but
unfortunately no adapter for my particular phone. I'd have to do some
surgery. A final option appears to be a magnet mount vertical whip with
a ground plane (square of sheet metal), about $50 w/o cable, still faced
with attaching it to the phone. Might be worth a go. I'll check out
the article you suggest, futzing around with a cheap yagi might be fun,
once I solve the no-jack problem

Dan

Dan
NSM

"Dan" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply. At least one company offers a solution along
these lines, but a repeater incorporating an amplifier rather than a
"passive" arrangement, which they claim is not feasible due to the low
signal levels (but then, they WOULD say that, wouldn't they?). Around
700 bucks. Yeeesh. They do offer a $100 800 mhz yagi (my freq), but
unfortunately no adapter for my particular phone. I'd have to do some
surgery. A final option appears to be a magnet mount vertical whip with
a ground plane (square of sheet metal), about $50 w/o cable, still faced
with attaching it to the phone. Might be worth a go. I'll check out
the article you suggest, futzing around with a cheap yagi might be fun,
once I solve the no-jack problem.

The secret of all these things is to try something and then see if you can
improve it. For a vertical, all you need in a piece of heavy copper wire or
small tube. You could also try a Radio Shack telescoping antenna.

I also remember people selling those passive boosters (for as low as 1 cent)
that you stick in the battery compartment but they seem to have died out -
guess they didn't work.

As for an 800 MHz amp, try the library for a copy of the Radio Amateur
handbook which may have a design. But always do the easy things first.

Stephen Sank

I think those stick-on passive "boosters" work great. No help on reception, but if you stick 3
or 4 layers of them on, it keeps the battery from rattling arround.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"NSM" wrote in message newsojse.64563$9A2.58628@edtnps89...

"Dan" wrote in message

[...]

Tony Marsillo

Dan,
I have an LG VX4500 phone that gets poor or no signal in my basement. I
bought a replacement telescoping antenna for my phone on e-bay. It has
improved my signal in the basement some what. It will not go from 1 bar to
two, but I have found that I can complete my calls more often with the
antenna up than with the OEM stub. Here is the link to the one I bought, I
think they sell them for other phones.

Tony Marsillo
Nutmeg Repair
"Dan" wrote in message
My wife & I are in the process of moving & are living on opposite sides of
the continent for awhile. To lower phone bills, we got a cell plan that
gives us unlimited minutes to one another (Cingular). My phone (a
Motorola V180) gets great reception around town, but naturally, I have
found it gets lousy reception from my home, where I generally am when we
talk. 0 to 2 bars, usually 1. So I'm wondering if there's any way to
inprove reception, like an external antenna, even a clip lead attached to
the antenna connection inside (which I have not tried yet). Phone has a
stub antenna about 1 inch long. Suggestions appreciated.

Dan

Dan

Tony Marsillo wrote:
Dan,
I have an LG VX4500 phone that gets poor or no signal in my basement. I
bought a replacement telescoping antenna for my phone on e-bay. It has
improved my signal in the basement some what. It will not go from 1 bar to
two, but I have found that I can complete my calls more often with the
antenna up than with the OEM stub. Here is the link to the one I bought, I
think they sell them for other phones.

3 bucks?!? What, you think I'm MADE of MONEY??? ;-)

Looks like it could be worth a shot, I'll see if they have one for my
phone...
kenmooresbc

hack the mothers phones should be free
http://www.cellphonehacks.com/
--

http://www.geocities.com/vintagejapmotorcycleshop/
Dan wrote in message
Tony Marsillo wrote:
Dan,
I have an LG VX4500 phone that gets poor or no signal in my basement. I
bought a replacement telescoping antenna for my phone on e-bay. It has
improved my signal in the basement some what. It will not go from 1 bar

two, but I have found that I can complete my calls more often with the
antenna up than with the OEM stub. Here is the link to the one I bought,

think they sell them for other phones.

&rd=1

Cell phone scanners Blue Home Repair 28 May 31st 05 04:10 PM
a cell phone question RB Electronics Repair 5 March 9th 05 07:09 AM
How Realtors are using their cell phone Travis Jordan Home Ownership 3 February 18th 05 12:55 AM
SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Woodworking 0 October 25th 04 01:45 PM
Cell phone signal question WbSearch Electronics Repair 9 August 12th 04 03:39 AM