Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help with plans for steps for my 3 yr old - pls read

This prob is the wrong group, but my son was recently diagnosed with a
brain tumor (3 days after his 3rd birthday) and has had surgery and
just last week started his first round of chemo (this will be a long
process). His brain tumor is medulloblastoma which is a malignant
tumor that affects balance in addition to other areas. He needs
physical therapy but doesn't work well with the therapists and I would
like to make him what he needs at home. He needs steps that go up - a
bridge to walk across - and steps that go down again (he needs to pick
up puzzle pieces at one end and put them in the puzzle at the other
end. The steps in the therapy room are only about 3 inches deep (step
to step) and about one foot of step...and there's 8 up and 8 down.
Not sure if that's that important. I also need to make him a balance
beam (I think I can do that on my own - they want 80 for one at the
store!).

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

His carepage is at www.carepages.com and search for johnathondoerr if
you'd like to see it.

Teri
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 10:04*am, sweetsurprisesbyteri
wrote:
[...]

If you DAGS for stair stringer layout or stair stringer plans you'll
get lots of hits for how to calculate the cuts needed for stringers.
After that, you just need to add risers and treads. For the bridge,
look up instructions for framing a deck and take from there. In fact,
DAGS for deck plans and you'll probably find bits and pieces for the
entire project.

You said: "about 3 inches deep (step to step) and about one foot of
step...and there's 8 up and 8 down. Not sure if that's that important.
"

I assume you mean the rise (up and down) is 3" and the run (front to
back) is 12".

Well, it's important that you realize that with 8 up and 8 down
(assuming that number 8 is onto/off of the bridge) that means you've
got a run of 14' for the steps plus the length of the bridge. Have you
got room for a structure that big?

And I'll throw this out, even though you didn't ask. Please take it in
the caring spirit that it is offered:

I know you said he "doesn't work well with the therapists" but
sometimes patients also don't work well with family. Therapists are
(hopefully) trained to be somewhat emotionally detached - meaning that
when the patient starts complaining or gets depressed and wants to
give up, they may know some tactics that will get the patient back on
track - without the emotional baggage associated with not wanting to
get the patient "mad" at them. I may not be saying that correctly, but
what I mean is that the therapist doesn't have to live with the
patient so if things get tense, there's not going to be any guilt or
thoughts like "My son is going to hate me. Let's take the afternoon
off."

There's also something to be said for having to go someplace else for
the therapy. I see it as kind of like trying to work at home. Some
people can't do it because they get distracted by things around the
house (laundry, yardwork, etc) and neglect the work. By having the
structure of appointments with the therapist, you might be less likely
to take a break, let him sleep, shorten a sesion, etc.

Again, please don't be offended. I'm just tossing out some things to
think about, not saying that you shouldn't build the equipment or do
the therapy at home.

Best of luck to both you and your son.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I couldn't access the carepage because it requires a signup. That said,
my first impression
of what you intend to build seems like a very rigid plan as to the
number of steps and the
specific activity.......you could buy some rigid foam and just lay a
length on the floor for
a balance beam. My kids are adults and the grandkids older than your
boy, but the favorite
toy has always been something they could use their imagination with -
corrugated cartons,
a few blankets for tents, etc. Knowing how children that age want to do
"their thing", I
would focus on making his therapy a play activity......rather than
stairs, why not a series
of the beams that he would step up onto and then step down? That would
eliminate
heights and still get his coordination working. You could put together
a series of them
with just drilled holes and some dowels. Lay a piece of plywood across
and you have
a bridge ... rather than foam, you could build some boxy things from ply
and cover
them with something simple (and colorful) for protection and incentive
to build his
own stuff. You could rig some rails from pvc pipe to use along with
balance beam
or to use like parallel bars. Only therapy my children ever needed was
speech
therapy, around age 2 1/2..........the reward was a piece of candy and
it didn't take
long, fortunately.

Tough time for you and your little boy.....wish you the very best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sweetsurprisesbyteri" wrote

This prob is the wrong group, but my son was recently diagnosed with a
brain tumor (3 days after his 3rd birthday) and has had surgery and

So sorry to hear that Teri. For you question, this group is as close as any
since you ask how to build something.

like to make him what he needs at home. He needs steps that go up - a
bridge to walk across - and steps that go down again (he needs to pick
up puzzle pieces at one end and put them in the puzzle at the other
end. The steps in the therapy room are only about 3 inches deep (step
to step) and about one foot of step...and there's 8 up and 8 down.

Clarify for me? 3 inches up and 1 foot or so across? It's ok if not used
to building things with the words we use here, but with a 3YO I kinda
suspect you meant 3 inches up/down and 8-12 inches across. This would mean
the top of the structure is about 24 inches high (8 steps worth). Otherwise
you'd have a structure 8 feet tall if you meant 12 inches up/down!

Main problem is going to be 'where to put it'. You do not mention your
climate or house size but to make it 12 inches across where the foot goes,
and 16 of them plus a bit of a bridge, then room for a puzzle of some sort
at each end, you are gonna need a very big room. 24ft *minimum* but could
be along the wall of a big room? Best would be outdoors if your climate
allows for it. (Could actually be rather nice looking over a brook or
something like a plastic fish pond).

Worst case scenario, has to be inside and no way to get 24ft run. You'll
have to go with fewer than 8 steps then with 1x5 (or 1x6) inch boards. You
will not find a precut stringer for a 3 inch rise.

http://jself.com/stair/straight/Stringer.htm

That link shows what a stringer is and how to cut one. I think in your case
though, some 2x4 wood cut to supports (up/down legs) with another 2x4
longways to tie them all together firmly would work better and be easier.

Using 2x4, Cut 8 pieces (4 per step) at 1 inch less than the total rise of
the step. First set will be but 2 inches, next will be 5 inches, then ,
then 8, 11, 14, 17, 21, 24 (check my math, each should be 3 inches taller
than last set). Build the 2 bottom supports separately then nail or bolt a
2x4 (could be 1x2 for indoors but it's easier to just stick with one size
and get lots of the same wood), measuring carefully so a 10-12 inch board
piece fits snugly (this will be what he steps on, by your dimensions, 12
inches).
_____
_____| |

I'm no great artist here but the up/down are the 2x4 legs and the across
part is the 12 inch step (or 10 if you think it can be reduced to make it
all fit inside).

When you get to the 5th step, you may want to make a second stabilizer
across it all

(cant figure out how to draw that)

With the proper tools to cut the wood and a ruler, this is actually a pretty
easy project. Once you have the sides made (cheater stringer really), you
just stand them up then with evenly cut steps, nail them down to it. For
the longer center part, just make more of the taller 'legs' and nail more
'floor/stepping' wood.

To add rails, use more 2x4 along the outside to go high enough then angle
cut the top so you can run some railing / (less angled than that) or PVC
pipe might be stable enough if well anchored.

Sand the whole thing down then paint it bright colors appealing to a child
in a shiney paint.

Not sure if that's that important. I also need to make him a balance
beam (I think I can do that on my own - they want 80 for one at the
store!).

Railroad tie would be perfect. Use angle brackets to bolt this to the floor
or if that isnt a good idea, to some plywood and place it on carpet. The
plywood is to keep it from turning over. X|__ are the shape of the
brackets I am thinking of and the X is the railroad tie. Most garden stores
have them.

Hope this helps! Kinda fun to type up. How big is the biggest space you
have to use?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

cshenk wrote:
"sweetsurprisesbyteri" wrote

... I also need to make him a balance beam ...

Railroad tie would be perfect. ...

No, rr ties are treated and not particularly level/square for a kid w/
difficulty in balance and coordination. Not to mention the sheer heft,
that wouldn't be a good choice at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

sweetsurprisesbyteri wrote:
... The steps in the therapy room are only about 3 inches deep (step
to step) and about one foot of step...and there's 8 up and 8 down.
Not sure if that's that important. I also need to make him a balance
beam ...
Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Tough break for the kiddie and his folks--sorry to hear it.
Good luck w/ treatment and the rehab...

Others have already talked about the size problem but one would presume
it could be cut down some altho as somebody else noted, perhaps the
pro's know better or it may just be they have the resources and room.

For making something, albeit probably somewhat smaller, I'd suggest you
could make the stringers by cutting them out of 3/4" ply and then make
the stringers w/ 1X boards since a 3-yr old won't need much weight
support. It wouldn't be too difficult to do that w/ just a jigsaw or
handsaw and be lighter than 2X stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Best of luck to both you and your son.- Hide quoted text -

This is absolutely the VERY BEST advice you will ever receive and I
hope you take it for your son's sake. Nobody, no matter what their
age, likes to take therapy, and that includes your son. He's going to
have a lot of off and cranky days and you're going to think "Poor
little fellow is having such a hard time, I can't make him do this
today. I will seem so mean and uncaring and he's going to hate me."
The WORST thing you can do is take upon yourself his therapy. You are
not a trained therapist no matter what steps or bridges you build to
help. If you want your son to regain his balance and rebuild his life
is to take him to therapy each and every time they tell you to bring
him in. And no, I'm not connected with the healthcare field in any
fashion or form. I just know how cranky patients can be and how
parents/family wimp out and feel guilty if they 'force' them to do
something they don't like. Your intentions are good, but like I said
you're not a trained therapist and you are far too involved
emotionally to do the job.

PLEASE take him to his therapy no matter how much he protests, whines,
cries, kicks, and screams.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

PLEASE take him to his therapy no matter how much he protests, whines,
cries, kicks, and screams.

The issue of the therapist is a reasonable concern, but absolutely not
the right idea for all children.
As a nurse and a mom, I've seen lots of different behavior of young
children - not good/bad or
right/wrong, but just individual reactions. I have done fingersticks on
3 and 5 y/o, with good
preparation and NO TEARS, only to have them scream their heads off
during a non-invasive
physical exam with someone who took no time to prepare or explain. With
my own children,
I had two who would have gone anywhere, with anyone, at this age; the
other was much more
guarded (not shy or timid) - during a hospitalization, would not even
accept a glass of water
from strangers and yet gulped fluids as soon as I was allowed to "visit"
.. Vowed then and
there I would never, ever leave my child at hospital without me.

With a sick child undergoing chemo, there will probably be limits
to his activity and energy level, not to be wasted with crying sessions
or any other negative
experiences. Three y/o know who they like and who they do not - far
better to have a
familiar situation and setting and make use of enjoyable play as much as
can be made
possible. As for the structure of the therapy modules, the therapist
should have provided
information to get the required activity done with material available or
easily found at home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote

PLEASE take him to his therapy no matter how much he protests, whines,
cries, kicks, and screams.

The issue of the therapist is a reasonable concern, but absolutely not the
right idea for all children.
As a nurse and a mom, I've seen lots of different behavior of young
children - not good/bad or

That was my take as well. It's why I addressed only how one might build
such a structure.

With the right tools at hand (table saw) and 2 people, should take about 3
hours then sanding and painting. Don and I would be faster, but we do lots
of odd wood projects and have most of a decent woodshop in the garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry took so long to reply. As far as his therapy - it was their
recommendation to do it at home and the only steps we have are narrow
spiral. We could use the exercise stepper (single plastic step) and I
have been using that - she gave me a list of items I needed - a 4"
thick tumbling mat, a huge ball, a balance board, a balance beam
along with others. Because of his age and the treatment, they don't
want us at the therapy center any more than we need to be as his
counts will be dramatically impacted resulting in needing transfusions
every couple weeks, etc. They need me to keep his musle tone up and
gave me the instructions on what to do. They have a 1 acre play yard
and we live in TX so we can be outside most of the year. I am also
doign the foam blocks for inside - his treatment will be longer than 1
year and we're unsure how much he'll lose because of radiation. They
want him working daily on doing his therapy = but making it a game -
he has a brother thats only 16mo older so he "helps" me by
participating in the play. I called and there were only 4 steps up
and 4 steps down - I just couldn't rememb er.....

Thank you so much for all your replies and words of wisdom.

Teri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sweetsurprisesbyteri" wrote

Sorry took so long to reply.

Understandable Teri.

As far as his therapy - it was their
recommendation to do it at home and the only steps we have are narrow
spiral. We could use the exercise stepper (single plastic step) and I
have been using that - she gave me a list of items I needed - a 4"
thick tumbling mat, a huge ball, a balance board, a balance beam

(snips)

They need me to keep his musle tone up and
gave me the instructions on what to do. They have a 1 acre play yard
and we live in TX so we can be outside most of the year. I am also

Good, that helps alot.

participating in the play. I called and there were only 4 steps up
and 4 steps down - I just couldn't rememb er.....

Much easier to manage there. I think with only 4 steps, I'd just use
2ftx2ft 'stepping stones' which come in 3 inch depths and make some fairly
thick 'slipcovers' for them of blankets and such. These could be moved
about to provide variety which he needs to maintain interest. In dry
weather, can be used outside too.

You can probably find something like this in firm foam as well?