Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advice on a good name brand water heater

I'm going to replace my water heater soon. its a 40 gallon gas, its 30
years old and doing great but getting worried about it because of the
age. its a hotpoint.

I would like to install a whole house water filter on the inlet side
of this new water heater. is this recommended or not for the water
pressure? I've recently upgraded all the appliances to whirlpool but
not sure if whirlpool is good or crap for a water heater.

the house is 2400sq ft L shape with 3 family members 2 full bathrooms
and dishwasher on a slab.

Posted to alt.home.repair

flir67 wrote:
I'm going to replace my water heater soon. its a 40 gallon gas, its 30
years old and doing great but getting worried about it because of the
age. its a hotpoint.

I would like to install a whole house water filter on the inlet side
of this new water heater. is this recommended or not for the water
pressure? I've recently upgraded all the appliances to whirlpool but
not sure if whirlpool is good or crap for a water heater.

the house is 2400sq ft L shape with 3 family members 2 full bathrooms
and dishwasher on a slab.

Why filter hot water? You don't drink or cook with it.

Hot water does what it does (wash - humans, pets, dishes, clothes) then goes
down the drain.

Further, that your existing heater has lasted 30 years speaks well of the
water in your area. That is, your water source contains very little debris,
chemicals, or other noxious substances. I doubt your water quality will
improve much by being filtered.

As to choice of brands, I think the major brands are virtually
interchangable. Water heaters have improved in efficiency during these
years, so you should see a significant saving in energy costs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 7:18*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
flir67 wrote:
[...]

Have they improved in efficency, show me I dont see it. I see bs
advertising and labels but certified EF ratings are different. EF-
Energy Factor is tank efficency and what I see is 55-65 EF tanks sold
everywhere where on a 55 EF tank 45c of every dollar is wasted heating
water. A whole house sediment filter should reduce some scale but why
not filter all inside house water it might help the inline clothes
washer filters from being clogged, if you get clogged sink strainers
there is debris in the water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 8:58*am, ransley wrote:
On Nov 10, 7:18*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

flir67 wrote:
[...]

there is debris in the water.- Hide quoted text -

I replaced mine about 8 years ago. Went with an average model State,
from HD, nothing special. It was a good deal at the time. Of course
now with the recent increase in energy prices, you should factor in
how much you could save with a high efficiency heater vs the increased
upfront cost.

About 4 years after buying it, the thermocouple failed. I called up
State, it was under warranty, and they sent me a new one for free, no
shipping, had it in 2 days. Since then it's been fine. I check the
anode every couple years and last check it was about half gone.
Within a couple years, I'll replace the anode and see if that gets me
longer tank life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 9:44*am, Claude Hopper
wrote:
flir67 wrote:
I'm going to replace my water heater soon. its a 40 gallon gas, its 30
years old and doing great but getting worried about it because of the
age. its a hotpoint.

I would like to install a whole house water filter on the inlet side
of this new water heater. is this recommended or not for the water
pressure? I've recently upgraded all the appliances to whirlpool but
not sure if whirlpool is good or crap for a water heater.

the house is 2400sq ft L shape with 3 family members 2 full bathrooms
and dishwasher on a slab.

If you have gas I would go with a tankless gas unit. Why maintain 40
gallons of hot water 24 hours a day when a tankless only runs when you
actually use hot water.

--
Claude Hopper * * * * *

? * * * ? * * * ¥

Maybe because the tankless typically costs a lot more upfront, may
require an increased size gas line to support, and isn't without it's
own drawbacks, like many units not responding and turning on to small
water flow?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 05:58:37 -0800, ransley wrote:

On Nov 10, 7:18Â*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
flir67 wrote:
[...]

I'm with you Ransley. Hot, softened water uses less soap, leaves clothes
and bed linen, towels, softer(more fluff) when dried Beside the fact that
you would need a "licensed plumber" to bypass the hot water tank and
isolate it from the incoming water supply. Damn expensive when the water
tank is on the other side of the house from the input of the softener as
mine is.

I chose to by salt. It's cheap and worthy of wars being fought over it.
A true essential.

Or get Joe the labourer to install it and hope it's done right when you
go to sell your home.

1. Anything worth doing the first time deserves to be done right, at that
time.
2. A true professional does the job right the first time and makes it
look easy.
3. Doing things over, is twice the expense and a waste of time.

Just three of my little axioms.

_________m___o¿~___m__________________m___^¿^___ m_______

Registered Linux user 297687

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 7:18 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
flir67 wrote:
[...]

I agree about the water softener. But the OP said "filter" not "soften."

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I think filtered water is better than not filtered water. not sure of
where the inline pipe is in the house as we are on a slab and wall to
wall carpet, built 1979. so I would like to filter the hot water and
not use a softener at this point. the water heater is in the laundry
room and not the attic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RLM" wrote in message

On Nov 10, 7:18 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
flir67 wrote:
[...]

Well softening is essentially filtering because it removes the minerals.

There is very good reasons to soften hot water. Mainly you don't have to
drain your water heater every 6 months. Your shower stays cleaner and the
fixtures don't get mineral deposits. You do drink it if you use hot water to
cook with. (like I do). And of course there is the clothes. You can use less
detergent and they do come out softer

Soft water is dirt cheap too after installation.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 7:18 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
flir67 wrote:
[...]

thanks I think I'll do water filtering then..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 7:18 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
flir67 wrote:
[...]

If you do go with a water softener make sure you have a separate hose for
the yard and if you're on a low sodium diet you should have a water filter
for drinking water that removes the residual salt.

Watering plants with softened water is not a good idea because the residual
salt builds up in the soil. It's a very small amount but it builds up over
the years.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Nov 10, 7:18 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
flir67 wrote:
[...]

Even more of a reason to forgo the expense of re-plumbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 2:29*am, flir67 wrote:
I'm going to replace my water heater soon. its a 40 gallon gas, its 30
years old and doing great but getting worried about it because of the
age. its a hotpoint.

I would like to install a whole house water filter on the inlet side
of this new water heater. is this recommended or not for the water
pressure? I've recently upgraded all the appliances to whirlpool but
not sure if whirlpool is good or crap for a water heater.

the house is 2400sq ft L shape with 3 family members 2 full bathrooms
and dishwasher on a slab.

Ao Smith is a brand that makes quality home and commercial use, and
has condensing Energy Star tanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

retired54 wrote:
I agree about the water softener. But the OP said "filter" not
"soften."

Well softening is essentially filtering because it removes the
minerals.

But filtering is not softening, else the carbon-granule thingies would be
called 'softeners' instead of 'filters.'

There is very good reasons to soften hot water. Mainly you don't have
to drain your water heater every 6 months. Your shower stays cleaner
and the fixtures don't get mineral deposits. You do drink it if you
use hot water to cook with. (like I do). And of course there is the
clothes. You can use less detergent and they do come out softer

Soft water is dirt cheap too after installation.

But the OP wasn't talking about 'softening' (though that may be what he
meant). He specifically said 'filter.'

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
retired54 wrote:
I agree about the water softener. But the OP said "filter" not
"soften."

Well softening is essentially filtering because it removes the
minerals.

But filtering is not softening, else the carbon-granule thingies would be
called 'softeners' instead of 'filters.'

There is very good reasons to soften hot water. Mainly you don't have
to drain your water heater every 6 months. Your shower stays cleaner
and the fixtures don't get mineral deposits. You do drink it if you
use hot water to cook with. (like I do). And of course there is the
clothes. You can use less detergent and they do come out softer

Soft water is dirt cheap too after installation.

But the OP wasn't talking about 'softening' (though that may be what he
meant). He specifically said 'filter.'

Well like I said softening is filtering. On mine it runs through a carbon
"filter" first. The end result is the same as filtering. I'd MUCH rather use
a water softener. MUCH cheaper. Those filters are expensive to replace.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

what does everyone think of buying a water heater and putting brass
ballvalve's on it before install? anyone every do this?

and a curved anondized stick ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 11:37*pm, flir67 wrote:
what does everyone think of buying a water heater and putting brass
ballvalve's on it before install? anyone every do this?

It can be a good idea to replace the cheap drain valve with a good
quality one, to prevent future problems. For that application, I'd
use a gate type valve though. I'm not too keen on using a valve on
hot water where if you turn it a 1/4 turn it goes from off to full on.

and a curved anondized stick ?

I guess you mean replace the one it comes with so that it's easier to
replace due to overhead clearance? I wouldn't do that. Anodes
aren't cheap and most people never replace or check them at all. If
you do check it, which is probably a good idea, and it needs to be
replaced, there won't be much of it left, so you should be able to
easily break or cut it to get out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DAGS on "Whirlpool water heater", you'll get A LOT of complaints. I
put a new "EnergySmart, FlameLock" gas heater in two years ago, it's
worked flawlessly until last weekend. Then, itstill made hot water,
but I had to restart the pilot after every batch; I got the error code
"upper sensor failure", whih I think refers to a thermocouple. IDAGS,
and found A LOT of the same complaint. and refernces to non-standard
replacement parts (left-hand threads). I fiddled with mine without
really doing anything, but it
's back to working.

Google is your friend.

-Zz

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:29:21 -0800 (PST), flir67
wrote:

I'm going to replace my water heater soon. its a 40 gallon gas, its 30
years old and doing great but getting worried about it because of the
age. its a hotpoint.

I would like to install a whole house water filter on the inlet side
of this new water heater. is this recommended or not for the water
pressure? I've recently upgraded all the appliances to whirlpool but
not sure if whirlpool is good or crap for a water heater.

the house is 2400sq ft L shape with 3 family members 2 full bathrooms
and dishwasher on a slab.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:36:43 -0800, Zz Yzx
wrote:

DAGS on "Whirlpool water heater", you'll get A LOT of complaints. I
put a new "EnergySmart, FlameLock" gas heater in two years ago, it's
worked flawlessly until last weekend. Then, itstill made hot water,
but I had to restart the pilot after every batch; I got the error code
"upper sensor failure", whih I think refers to a thermocouple. IDAGS,
and found A LOT of the same complaint. and refernces to non-standard
replacement parts (left-hand threads). I fiddled with mine without
really doing anything, but it
's back to working.

Google is your friend.

-Zz

THAT said, numerous sources revealed in the Google search indicated
that most major water heater brands are all made by 1 or 2
manufacturers, which slap a different brand name on and distrubute
them nation-wide.

-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

true, theirs only a few I've found so far. they include A.O. Smith and
rheem.

on consumer reports, ao smith had tons on complaints about failing
water heaters and rheem had less. might go with a rheem manufactered
unit.

I'm trying to stay away from the electronic gas water heaters, I just
don't see the logical in it.

a good r16 40,000 btu 40 gallon unit would be great. finding one is so
far hard to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 3:55*pm, flir67 wrote:
true, theirs only a few I've found so far. they include A.O. Smith and
rheem.

on consumer reports, ao smith had tons on complaints about failing
water heaters and rheem had less. might go with a rheem manufactered
unit.

I'm trying to stay away from the electronic gas water heaters, I just
don't see the logical in it.

a good r16 40,000 btu 40 gallon unit would be great. finding one is so
far hard to do.

with a 18 inch circumferance.... 20 inch is too big for the space