Posted to alt.home.repair
retired54 retired54 is offline

Default Need advice on a good name brand water heater

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
retired54 wrote:
I agree about the water softener. But the OP said "filter" not
"soften."

Well softening is essentially filtering because it removes the
minerals.

But filtering is not softening, else the carbon-granule thingies would be
called 'softeners' instead of 'filters.'

There is very good reasons to soften hot water. Mainly you don't have
to drain your water heater every 6 months. Your shower stays cleaner
and the fixtures don't get mineral deposits. You do drink it if you
use hot water to cook with. (like I do). And of course there is the
clothes. You can use less detergent and they do come out softer

Soft water is dirt cheap too after installation.

But the OP wasn't talking about 'softening' (though that may be what he
meant). He specifically said 'filter.'

Well like I said softening is filtering. On mine it runs through a carbon
"filter" first. The end result is the same as filtering. I'd MUCH rather use
a water softener. MUCH cheaper. Those filters are expensive to replace.

Olddog