Posted to alt.home.repair
flir67 flir67 is offline

Default Need advice on a good name brand water heater

Why filter hot water? You don't drink or cook with it.

Hot water does what it does (wash - humans, pets, dishes, clothes) then goes
down the drain.

Further, that your existing heater has lasted 30 years speaks well of the
water in your area. That is, your water source contains very little debris,
chemicals, or other noxious substances. I doubt your water quality will
improve much by being filtered.

As to choice of brands, I think the major brands are virtually
interchangable. Water heaters have improved in efficiency during these
years, so you should see a significant saving in energy costs.

Have they improved in efficency, show me I dont see it. I see bs
advertising and labels but certified EF ratings are different. *EF-
Energy Factor is tank efficency and what I see is 55-65 EF tanks sold
everywhere where on a 55 EF tank 45c of every dollar is wasted heating
water. A whole house sediment filter should reduce some scale but why
not filter all inside house water it might help the inline clothes
washer filters from being clogged, if you get clogged sink strainers
there is debris in the water.

I'm with you Ransley. Hot, softened water uses less soap, leaves clothes
and bed linen, towels, softer(more fluff) when dried *Beside the fact that
you would need a "licensed plumber" to bypass the hot water tank and
isolate it from the incoming water supply. Damn expensive when the water
tank is on the other side of the house from the input of the softener as
mine is.

I chose to by salt. It's cheap and worthy of wars being fought over it.
A true essential.

Or get Joe the labourer to install it and hope it's done right when you
go to sell your home.

1. Anything worth doing the first time deserves to be done right, at that
time.
*2. A true professional does the job right the first time and makes it
*look easy.
3. Doing things over, is twice the expense and a waste of time.

Just three of my little axioms.

Registered Linux user 297687

I think filtered water is better than not filtered water. not sure of
where the inline pipe is in the house as we are on a slab and wall to
wall carpet, built 1979. so I would like to filter the hot water and
not use a softener at this point. the water heater is in the laundry
room and not the attic.