Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone Question on Cable/Traditional

In article , LouB
wrote:

Mark my words, if he doesn't go to jail, he's at least in for some
significant legal expenses.

Nah, its Texas.

Texas tends to look at gun control as hitting what you aim at. So,
this particular case goes against their gun control laws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Yabut a cell phone system can be easily overloaded in a big emergency.

If you can't get through, emergency services isn't going to have
anyone to send to help you anyway. Best to wait until things calm down
if you can. If you can't, put your head between your legs and kiss
your ass goodbye...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 10:35*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
LouB wrote:
wrote:
LouB wrote:
Yabut a cell phone system can be easily overloaded in a big emergency..

If you can't get through, emergency services isn't going to have
anyone to send to help you anyway. Best to wait until things calm down
if you can. If you can't, put your head between your legs and kiss
your ass goodbye...

Not necessarily so. *Cell circuits get overload with a zillion "are you
OK" or "I am OK" calls having nothing to do with NEEDING help. *Regular
circuits do also.

Lou

A little programming could block 90% of trivial
calls allowing only 911 calls to go through. It
could be an interesting twist to giving more
control of the network over to FEMA for emergencies.
I know that at one time, the national phone system
could be basically taken over by the federal
government during The Cold War. If I'm not mistaken,
the feds have their own separate network now. All
that extra fiber that was run during The Internet
boom and bust hasn't gone to waste.

TDD

Define "trivial calls".

If emergency workers are trying to coordinate the efforts via cell-
phone, how would they do that?

You might respond by saying that "official" emergency workers would/
should have their own network, but what about the thousands of workers
from volunteer organizations that are helping out?

At any given disaster, there are innumerable people who chip in to
supplement the "official" workers - people whose skills and efforts
are really needed. If only 911 calls were allowed to go through, their
efforts would be extremely hampered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 12:07*am, Bert Byfield wrote:
I've got two land lines, one cable and one traditional phone company.
And I have a telephone that handles two phone lines. Can I plug the two
different types of phone lines into the same telephone?

depends... pick up the phone base and look where the cable goes into
it. if you see 4 gold pin connectors the answer is yes, if you see 2
the answer is no.. that simple.. I rewired my house a few years ago
with cat 5 cable, you learn alot....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
LouB wrote:
wrote:
LouB wrote:
[...]

How do wireless carriers control their network now?
How do the companies determine which phones can mow
access their networks. You know that any cell phone
is supposed to be allowed 911 access even if it's
not registered to a particular carrier. Do you have
any idea what a SIM card is? How about an ESN for a
cell phone? It would be no problem for a control
network to be setup for such a situation. Any volunteer
could call into a center, give their information,
get registered and go to work. Of course severe sanctions
would have to be imposed on the inevitable self serving
assholes who always seem to pop up in any situation.
Heck, texting takes up a lot less bandwidth and time
on the wireless networks. Reasonable texting could be
allowed for all the "Are You OK Dear" messages. My
cheap little cell phone can handle texting and it
would be now problem to alter the wireless networks
so that an emergency text message could be sent to
all cell phones as soon as they come up on the network.
"There is an area wide emergency for *****, please
restrict phone calls to those that are absolutely
necessary." This is all hypothetical but possible with
existing technology. I wonder if the wireless networks
are as clogged with verbal spam much like E-mail?
I wonder how much of the traffic is simple jabbering.
When cell phone access was expensive, I can guarantee
that there was a lot less unnecessary traffic.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
George wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
LouB wrote:
wrote:
LouB wrote:
Yabut a cell phone system can be easily overloaded in a big
emergency.

If you can't get through, emergency services isn't going to have
anyone to send to help you anyway. Best to wait until things calm down
if you can. If you can't, put your head between your legs and kiss
your ass goodbye...

Not necessarily so. Cell circuits get overload with a zillion "are
you OK" or "I am OK" calls having nothing to do with NEEDING help.
Regular circuits do also.

Lou

A little programming could block 90% of trivial
calls allowing only 911 calls to go through. It
could be an interesting twist to giving more
control of the network over to FEMA for emergencies.

And then there is the law of unintended consequences. Cell systems can
prioritize traffic but they don't. Lets say there is an emergency of
some sort and you are trapped. The all knowing and powerful FEMA
workers are yammering away on their prioritized phones and your phone
no longer works because it doesn't have the right priority.

911 calls are now allowed to any cell phone even
if it's not registered to a particular network.
Dang feller, you didn't get that?

TDD

But I was commenting on this:

"It could be an interesting twist to giving more
control of the network over to FEMA for emergencies."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
LouB wrote:
wrote:
LouB wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

During a EMERGENCY all calls but 911 ones will be blocked
automatically by phone programming when first activated.

emergency workers have unblocked phones that ignore the 911 rule only,
they can call anyone as needed

this elminates overloaded cell systems crashing.

the copper wired system is much more robust in a emergency.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
George wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
LouB wrote:
wrote:
LouB wrote:
[...]

Well, FEMA is part of Homeland Security now so I
suppose they can do whatever in the hell they want
to do. They got lots of guns.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Good points, all. But do you have a gun? Better, of course, is two
guns.

Wise people who own guns don't talk about them.

True.

And REALLY wise people don't talk about their personal business, confess, or
offer excuses.

You may recall the case of a woman shot with a .50 caliber bullet last week
while sitting in her RV at the Texas Motor Speedway. The shooter came
forward to apologize. Seems as if he was innocently target practicing some
2-1/2 miles away!

Mark my words, if he doesn't go to jail, he's at least in for some
significant legal expenses.

Anybody that can afford to plink with a .50 ought to have the brains to
have a big U-shaped dirt berm as a backstop.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
LouB wrote:
wrote:
LouB wrote:
[...]

There is a class of cell service that basically echoes the old 'flash
priority' on AUTOVON in the old days. It bumps civilian cell calls. As
to the wireline federal networks, they are mostly virtual networks at
this point, riding leased lines or the public switched lines. Try
dialing 10-10-FTS sometime. Yeah, the line between ATT Long Lines and
the Fed was rather fuzzy in the old days. Not so much anymore, but the
fed phone network is still basically a Bellcore creation.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
LouB wrote:
wrote:
LouB wrote:
[...]

From what I've read about the Cold War era AUTOVON
system is that it ceased to be used in the 1990's
replaced by DSN. I'm sure the feds have their own
pathways through the national network but there's
some really bizarre proprietary stuff me and thee
will never see that they use for secure communication.
I spent some time at a US Missile Defense Command
facility 20 years ago and there was a lot of secure
microwave, satellite and fiber optic communication
equipment there. Now, there's no telling what they
are using but it certainly takes up less space.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
"It could be an interesting twist to giving more
control of the network over to FEMA for emergencies."

Well, FEMA is part of Homeland Security now so I
suppose they can do whatever in the hell they want
to do. They got lots of guns.

But not much sense. Here's a story worth re-telling.

In February, 2002 (about 4 months after 9-11, when the National Guard was
helping patrol the airports), an elderly gentleman tried to run airport
security at the Phoenix airport. He was discovered trying to smuggle a
destructive device aboard an aircraft - a "Ninja-Star" type weapon. Further
investigation revealed that this desperado had been responsible for the
bringing down of some 32 aircraft with the loss of life of all aboard!

The man at the center of the intense investigation was Joe Foss, former
governor of South Dakota, retired brigadier general, for 10 years the host
of the TV program "American Sportsman," and former president of the American
Football League. He had just left a meeting of the Board of Directors of the
National Rifle Association (he was a former president of the NRA) and was
enroute the U.S. Military Academy at West Point to deliver a guest lecture
on patriotism.

The "Ninja-Star" he was carrying? Perhaps this quote will help:

---
Rank and organization: Captain, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Marine Fighting
Squadron 121, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing. Place and date: Over Guadalcanal, 9
October to 19 November 1942, 15 and 23 January 1943. Entered service at:
South Dakota. Born: 17 April 1915, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Citation

For outstanding heroism and courage above and beyond the call of duty as
Executive Officer of Marine Fighting Squadron 121, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing,
at Guadalcanal. Engaging in almost daily combat with the enemy from 9
October to 19 November 1942, Captain Foss personally shot down 23 Japanese
planes and damaged others so severely that their destruction was extremely
probable....

---
When told he could board the aircraft only if he discarded the Medal of
Honor given him by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, he is said to have
responded: "You've done ****ed with the wrong Marine, sonny."

Joe Foss passed away in early 2003 and is buried in Arlington National
Cemetery.

The only way this episode could be more ironic would be if it had happened
at Joe's home airport in Sioux Falls, SD. The airport is named "Joe Foss
Field."

--------------
I was at that same Sky Harbor airport last February. While waiting in line
to board a flight back to Houston, a diminutive TSA agentess tapped me on
the shoulder and said: "Excuse me sir, can I get you to do me a big favor?"

I looked down at her and said: "I can't. I'm married... But thanks for the
offer."

It went downhill from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

The last time I was on an airliner was 1989. If I
were to try to take a flight today I'm afraid I
would get into serious trouble. I would have lead
foil letters inside my briefcase spelling out,
"BLOW ME NAZI PIG!" I would have vacuum sealed packages
of dehydrated male bovine droppings labeled "Dehydrated
Terrorist" or "Dehydrated Nuclear Device". If they
have the X-ray body scanners, I would have lead foil
letters and an arrow pointing down inside my shirt
reading "EAT ME!" I suppose I would make the news and
The No Fly List.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 2:33�pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

just DONT see you old buddy jack getting on plane and yell HI JACK to
get his attention, or you will on the news that nite
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

just DONT see you old buddy jack getting on plane and yell HI JACK to
get his attention, or you will on the news that nite

If you can get away from the TSA and deal with the police, you'll be okay.

My squeeze was taking a flight from Houston to New Orleans to attend a trade
show. As you can imagine, lots of scurrying about with last minute details.

Anway, as she was going through the X-Ray security, the machine went "TILT"
over the pistol in her purse!

Immediately she was taken to a room in the basement, one bright overhead
light, drain hole in the middle of the floor, strange terminals and
protuberances on the walls.

Cops come in. "Tell us about the gun," they say.

"You'll find a concealed handgun license in my purse," she replies. They do.

"Go forth and sin no more," the cops say.

They wouldn't let her take her gun on the plane; her son had to go to the
airport and retrieve it from the constabulary.

But everybody on the TSA shift got a Gold Star beside their name that day.

---
I was pulled out of line while waiting to board for "Additional Random
Screening." The TSA droids had picked four of us at random: Me, a senior
white male, a senior black male, a young oriental woman, and a young
Hispanic fellow. While one agent was rummaging through the lady's computer,
I said (soto voice) to the Hispanic guy: "You look more like a terrorist
than the rest of us. Use caution!"

This incited the dander of one TSA lady. She nearly jumped me with the
retort: "There's no such thing as what a terrorist looks like!" To which I
calmly replied: "There certainly is. They are Middle Eastern males, with
beards, and named Achmed. Did you get your TSA training from a
correspondence school?"

It went downhill from there. Of course the TSA twits are at a disadvantage
when dealing with me. Neither of us have both oars in the water, true, but
I'm using a paddle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
[...]

She is lucky they let her have a relative retrieve the gun. Most places,
once a gun is in their hands, you never get it back, even if no law is
broken. Taken for elimination purposes, recovered stolen property,
whatever. And since the leftish folks think guns in civilian hands are
EVIL, none of the 'public interest' groups holds the local power
structure to account over it. Most individuals can't afford to hire a
lawyer over a $400-500 gun, so, there you go.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Careful, remember that sky marshals murdered a passenger who
was mentally disturbed when the poor guy had a panic attack.
The marshals made up all sorts of nonsense about him claiming
that he had a bomb so they shot him in the head. Funny thing,
none of the passengers heard any threats or saw what they
considered dangerous behavior. The mentally ill man panicked
and ran off the plane and was shot in the head when sky pricks
claimed he reached into his bag for the imaginary bomb. The TSA
is now on the lookout for imaginary bombs hidden in everyday
items like womens breasts. Damn, I'll never get on a passenger
plane again unless I'm in a straight jacket, hummm, I'd probably
still be killed if I fart, greenhouse gas ya know.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

snip

Don't mind me...just testing.