Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Phone Question on Cable/Traditional

The Daring Dufas wrote:
"It could be an interesting twist to giving more
control of the network over to FEMA for emergencies."

Well, FEMA is part of Homeland Security now so I
suppose they can do whatever in the hell they want
to do. They got lots of guns.

But not much sense. Here's a story worth re-telling.

In February, 2002 (about 4 months after 9-11, when the National Guard was
helping patrol the airports), an elderly gentleman tried to run airport
security at the Phoenix airport. He was discovered trying to smuggle a
destructive device aboard an aircraft - a "Ninja-Star" type weapon. Further
investigation revealed that this desperado had been responsible for the
bringing down of some 32 aircraft with the loss of life of all aboard!

The man at the center of the intense investigation was Joe Foss, former
governor of South Dakota, retired brigadier general, for 10 years the host
of the TV program "American Sportsman," and former president of the American
Football League. He had just left a meeting of the Board of Directors of the
National Rifle Association (he was a former president of the NRA) and was
enroute the U.S. Military Academy at West Point to deliver a guest lecture
on patriotism.

The "Ninja-Star" he was carrying? Perhaps this quote will help:

---
Rank and organization: Captain, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Marine Fighting
Squadron 121, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing. Place and date: Over Guadalcanal, 9
October to 19 November 1942, 15 and 23 January 1943. Entered service at:
South Dakota. Born: 17 April 1915, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Citation

For outstanding heroism and courage above and beyond the call of duty as
Executive Officer of Marine Fighting Squadron 121, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing,
at Guadalcanal. Engaging in almost daily combat with the enemy from 9
October to 19 November 1942, Captain Foss personally shot down 23 Japanese
planes and damaged others so severely that their destruction was extremely
probable....

---
When told he could board the aircraft only if he discarded the Medal of
Honor given him by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, he is said to have
responded: "You've done ****ed with the wrong Marine, sonny."

Joe Foss passed away in early 2003 and is buried in Arlington National
Cemetery.

The only way this episode could be more ironic would be if it had happened
at Joe's home airport in Sioux Falls, SD. The airport is named "Joe Foss
Field."

I was at that same Sky Harbor airport last February. While waiting in line
to board a flight back to Houston, a diminutive TSA agentess tapped me on
the shoulder and said: "Excuse me sir, can I get you to do me a big favor?"

I looked down at her and said: "I can't. I'm married... But thanks for the
offer."

It went downhill from there.