Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Driving eye bolts

I am going to have to install 8 or 10. 3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

metspitzer wrote:
I am going to have to install 8 or 10. 3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Drill the pilot hole then just use a screwdriver or similar thru the eye
to turn them. W/ a little leverage they're no problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

there's an adapter that one can get to allow use of a drill for this
purpose. it's basically a pipe with a slot cut out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
I am going to have to install 8 or 10. 3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Definitely drill pilot holes first. You will have problems with
getting the eyes to drive, and with splitting wood if you don't.

Your drill may not have enough torque to drive a 3/8" or 1/2" diameter
eye bolt even with a pilot hole. However, if you chuck up a heavy J-
bolt in your drill, you can hook the eye and maybe turn it in. The J
bolt should be as large as possible to fill the eye on the eye bolt
for best results.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 28, 2:43*pm, metspitzer wrote:
I am going to have to install 8 or 10. *3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Just chuck up the biggest Allen wrench in your set in the drill and
use it for a driver. The hex can't slip and the right angle should be
just right to turn the eyebolt. You're welcome...

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Joe wrote:
On Oct 28, 2:43 pm, metspitzer wrote:
I am going to have to install 8 or 10. 3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Just chuck up the biggest Allen wrench in your set in the drill and
use it for a driver. The hex can't slip and the right angle should be
just right to turn the eyebolt. You're welcome...

Except it won't be in line w/ the shaft of the eyebolt but will be
offset going 'round 'n 'round...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:48:47 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Oct 28, 2:43*pm, metspitzer wrote:
I am going to have to install 8 or 10. *3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Just chuck up the biggest Allen wrench in your set in the drill and
use it for a driver. The hex can't slip and the right angle should be
just right to turn the eyebolt. You're welcome...

Joe

That would be a good idea too, but my allen wrenches are a foldable
pack.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

metspitzer wrote:
That would be a good idea too, but my allen wrenches are a foldable
pack.

Good thing 'cause I think you'd find it didn't work well at all in
practice...

The j-hook thing might work if you can find a stiff enough material one.

I'd think you could have them in w/ the manual drive thru the eye while
you're futzing around here...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:11:17 -0500, dpb wrote:

metspitzer wrote:
That would be a good idea too, but my allen wrenches are a foldable
pack.

Good thing 'cause I think you'd find it didn't work well at all in
practice...

The j-hook thing might work if you can find a stiff enough material one.

I'd think you could have them in w/ the manual drive thru the eye while
you're futzing around here...

Yeah, but then I would actually have to be doing something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
news
I am going to have to install 8 or 10. 3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Scroll down about 3/4:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US250%26sa%3DN

Posted to alt.home.repair

Spread or cut open an extra eye bolt and use 3/8 or 1/2 inch corded
drill. I drove 250 bolts in a fence in a little under one hour.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/CARWRECK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:58:42 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

"metspitzer" wrote in message
news
I am going to have to install 8 or 10. 3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Are you referring to eye bolts or screw eyes? You have written both.

Steve

And how would turning them be any different?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
On Oct 28, 2:43 pm, metspitzer wrote:
I am going to have to install 8 or 10. 3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller
than
the screw.

Just chuck up the biggest Allen wrench in your set in the drill and
use it for a driver. The hex can't slip and the right angle should
be
just right to turn the eyebolt. You're welcome...

Joe

The biggest Allen wrench I have is about 9 inches long and 3/4 inch
around.
(Used to remove cataletic converter plug) in the 70's)

Anyway, it won't fit into either my drill or the eye bolts,'

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"metspitzer" wrote in message
news
I am going to have to install 8 or 10. 3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Are you referring to eye bolts or screw eyes? You have written both.

Steve

And how would turning them be any different?

Eye bolts have machine threads so you have to use a nut with them. They
don't screw into wood very well. Screw eyes have screw threads that dig
into wood and do not require a nut.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com...198&click=2744

Buy something along these lines, and chuck the thread end into your drill.
Problem solved.

You may find that a screw driver through the eye gives you a lot better
leverage.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"metspitzer" wrote in message
news I am going to have to install 8 or 10. 3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 3:59*pm, (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:
Spread or cut open an extra eye bolt and use 3/8 or 1/2 inch corded
drill. I drove 250 bolts in a fence in a little under one hour.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/CARWRECK

Use Jerry's suggestion, fastest, easiest to implement AND it will
work (although the J bolt idea will work as well)

I've driven 100's of 3/8" screw eyes & eye bolts into wooden
laboratory specimens...we used them to attach shackles for lifting by
crane.

For 3/8 screw eyes through a shear wall top plate & into end of wall
studs we drilled 5/16 pilot. Otherwise we couldn't drive them even
with a variable speed 1/2" Milwaukee hole shooter with a side
handle.......drill would stall, so we switched to a rather large pilot
hole to reduce driving torque.

We later switched to eye bolts because they had longer threaded
sections were way cheaper in large quantity than screw eyes but YMMV.
Eye bolts worked fine for our application but were harder to engage
but the huge cost difference was worth it.

Since you've only got a few to install ...... I'd use screw eyes and
install with the large screwdriver or ratchet extension bar.......too
easy to get wrapped around the axle with a powerful corded drill by
the time you perfect the technique

BTDT

Hint: If you choose the power install technique, turn the screw eye
in at least on full turn by hand and the PULL back slightly on the
drill motor when driving.....this will keep the "driving hook" engaged
& prevent injury.

The J bolt will engage more cleanly than a "spread" screw eye but we
used the "spread" screw eye tool for years before switching to a J
bolt.

Be careful. No broken fingers on my lab crew but we got close a
couple times.

chhers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..

"Joe" wrote in message
On Oct 28, 2:43 pm, metspitzer wrote:
I am going to have to install 8 or 10. 3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Just chuck up the biggest Allen wrench in your set in the drill and
use it for a driver. The hex can't slip and the right angle should be
just right to turn the eyebolt. You're welcome...

Joe

The biggest Allen wrench I have is about 9 inches long and 3/4 inch
around.
(Used to remove cataletic converter plug) in the 70's)

Anyway, it won't fit into either my drill or the eye bolts,'

Bob-tx

Well god for you! That means that you are special and now you et to move to
the head of the class and you also get a gold star in your workbook for
today!

OT - Driving In France, new law! DavidM UK diy 60 August 2nd 08 04:52 PM
Driving blindfolded Phil Kangas Metalworking 14 January 23rd 05 10:34 AM
Driving Leds sungbeyo Electronics 0 December 9th 04 02:52 PM
Lag bolts vs. carriage bolts GonnyGump Woodworking 12 April 9th 04 02:52 AM