Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Driving eye bolts

On Oct 28, 3:59*pm, (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:
Spread or cut open an extra eye bolt and use 3/8 or 1/2 inch corded
drill. I drove 250 bolts in a fence in a little under one hour.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/CARWRECK

Use Jerry's suggestion, fastest, easiest to implement AND it will
work (although the J bolt idea will work as well)

I've driven 100's of 3/8" screw eyes & eye bolts into wooden
laboratory specimens...we used them to attach shackles for lifting by
crane.

For 3/8 screw eyes through a shear wall top plate & into end of wall
studs we drilled 5/16 pilot. Otherwise we couldn't drive them even
with a variable speed 1/2" Milwaukee hole shooter with a side
handle.......drill would stall, so we switched to a rather large pilot
hole to reduce driving torque.

We later switched to eye bolts because they had longer threaded
sections were way cheaper in large quantity than screw eyes but YMMV.
Eye bolts worked fine for our application but were harder to engage
but the huge cost difference was worth it.

Since you've only got a few to install ...... I'd use screw eyes and
install with the large screwdriver or ratchet extension bar.......too
easy to get wrapped around the axle with a powerful corded drill by
the time you perfect the technique

BTDT

Hint: If you choose the power install technique, turn the screw eye
in at least on full turn by hand and the PULL back slightly on the
drill motor when driving.....this will keep the "driving hook" engaged
& prevent injury.

The J bolt will engage more cleanly than a "spread" screw eye but we
used the "spread" screw eye tool for years before switching to a J
bolt.

Be careful. No broken fingers on my lab crew but we got close a
couple times.

chhers
Bob