Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Driving eye bolts

metspitzer wrote:
I am going to have to install 8 or 10. 3/8 or 1/2 for a roof tarp.
It there a way to drive them with a battery drill.
I am thinking about at least drilling the hole a little smaller than
the screw.

Definitely drill pilot holes first. You will have problems with
getting the eyes to drive, and with splitting wood if you don't.

Your drill may not have enough torque to drive a 3/8" or 1/2" diameter
eye bolt even with a pilot hole. However, if you chuck up a heavy J-
bolt in your drill, you can hook the eye and maybe turn it in. The J
bolt should be as large as possible to fill the eye on the eye bolt
for best results.