Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cats vs. motion sensors

I have had a Slomin's security system in my home for a few years and
have been satisfied. However, my fiancee just moved in with her three
cats. Now the motion sensor goes off when they use the stairway (at
least.. that's what I have witnessed for right now.. who knows where
else they will trip it off..)

I called Slomins and they just said disarm the motion sensor.. Well..
that defeates the purpose of home security, doesn't it? They acted
like there was nothing else they could do.

I read about Intelligent Pet Sensors, that are able to tell the
difference between an animal or a burgler.. However, that's all sales-
pitch. I have also read stuff from people saying they are a big
disappointment.

What do people with pets do in the case of having a home security
system.. Do they just not use motion sensors and use window and door
sensors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 3:34*pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

I'm looking for some action.

What's the over-under on "kill the cats" responses to this post?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:
[...]

Thanks for bringing that up.

Our cat used up his ninth life over a month ago and we're not planning
on getting another pet.

I just transferred my wris****ch from its usual location on my left
wrist onto my right wrist. That'll remind me to turn the motion
detectors in our home's security system back on when I get home tonight.

They've been swiched OFF for the 5 plus years that cat was our
non-paying tenant. G

The wris****ch trick works quite well for me when there's something I
need to remember to do later that day. Every time I go to check the time
I look at my left wrist, see nothing there, and remember why.

Another trick which helps combat my age related CRS* is to put my car
keys in our office fridge when I leave some food there I want to bring
home with me at the end of the workday. No wsy will I leave the parking
lot without that food.

Jeff

* CRS: Can't remember ****."

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 2:34*pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

Its no sales pitch Ive had 6 dogs since the 70s, now 3, all big
79-95lb and never 1 false alarm except for a helium balloons, you cant
put a pet sensor like on stairs or where ever they get up like on a
couch or table. You need quality sensors mine are dual mode hard wire.
All it is is a sensor that is blocked below usualy 3ft, the sensors
height. I have 3 sensors and dogs roam free under them, sure a burglar
can crawl, his face will be an easy meal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 4:09*pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Chris wrote:
[...]

The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.- Hide quoted text -

CRS is why they added calendar functions and alarm clocks to cell
phones.

Scotch tape on your cars keys also acts as a reminder. Tough to start
a car when the key is taped to another one!

If I switched my watch from one wrist to the other, I'd probably spend
half the night looking for my watch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 2:34*pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

The sensor has to be Pet Alley upgradeable, mine was from Honywell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 2:34*pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

You need to replace the sensors with narrow vertical beam sensors (or
sensors with adjustable vertical spread) and aim them better. I have
several sensors like this and we have a dog that never sets them off.
The trick is to aim them vertically so that all motion underneath is
ignored, so only people set it off. Stairs are tricky if your current
sensor is at the staircase bottom, you may have to set the aim so that
only the top stair is covered but at a height taller than a cat. This
will still allow the cat to ascend the staircase but a human being
would set it off at the top. Or install a dedicated sensor for just
the stairs and aim it down the staircase from the top taller than the
damn cats, (your alarm panel should have some spare inputs). And re-
point the old bottom staircase sensor into the room away from the
staircase. Sorry to hear your future wife has cats, but thats the way
it goes sometimes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 3:51*pm, RickH wrote:
On Oct 24, 2:34*pm, Chris wrote:

[...]

it goes sometimes.- Hide quoted text -

Check out smarthome.com for a good sensor selection and information on
animals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:34:02 -0700 (PDT), Chris
wrote:

[...]

If it is a directional sensor maybe you can experiment in pointing it
where the cats can't go or get a different sensor. Cats seem to claim
every availalble area in a home and can jump several feet up. Good
luck with the three cats, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:

[...]

The best solution is to get sensors designed with pets in mind.

According to the guy who installed our system, those sensors work by
not seeing anything less than three or so feet from the floor. He said
we could accomplish that by putting some black tape over the bottom
edge of the sensor.

Warning: That advice is 20 years old.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

My systen has a IR sensor with a narrow beam. Adjusted it to hit objects 3'
or higher off the floor. One false alarm in many years. One cat was tearing
up a bread wrapper and set it off. Three cats, no problem. (With the alsrm
One of them called 911 one time. That was a problem. Took 911 off speed
dial...

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:09:23 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Chris wrote:
I have had a Slomin's security system in my home for a few years and
have been satisfied. However, my fiancee just moved in with her three
cats. Now the motion sensor goes off when they use the stairway (at
least.. that's what I have witnessed for right now.. who knows where
else they will trip it off..)

I called Slomins and they just said disarm the motion sensor.. Well..
that defeates the purpose of home security, doesn't it? They acted

Only partly. Presumably, the alarm went off when the burglar entered
the door.

like there was nothing else they could do.

What do you expect from a company that does free installaiton, iiuc?

I read about Intelligent Pet Sensors, that are able to tell the
difference between an animal or a burgler.. However, that's all sales-
pitch. I have also read stuff from people saying they are a big
disappointment.

What do people with pets do in the case of having a home security
system.. Do they just not use motion sensors and use window and door
sensors?

Aim the sensors high enough that the pets don't trigger them. If it's
the stairs, turn the sensor sideways away from the stairs. If you
have to alarm the stairs they sell flat things that go under the
carpeting, although that requires running a wire.

This is not to say that one can always succeed. I wanted to alarm my
bedroom window, even when the window was open. So the alarm would go
off when a burglar started to come in. Unfortunately the occasional
wind would blow the curtains and that would set off the alarm. I got
a dual tech sensor, that was both infra red and ultra sonic, and
requited both to trigger, and it would go off in the wind too. I was
supposed to put weights on the curtain, so the wind wouldn't make it
flap, but I forgot. It's good to know I was senile 20 years ago also.

And I'm an amateur, having only done one house, the one I'm in. Maybe
a pro could have made it work the way I wanted it. I still leave the
window open all spring summer and most of fall. 25 years and no one
has come in.

Thanks for bringing that up.

Another trick which helps combat my age related CRS* is to put my car
keys in our office fridge when I leave some food there I want to bring
home with me at the end of the workday. No wsy will I leave the parking
lot without that food.

May I borrow your car? The keys are in the fridge, right?

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:51:04 -0700 (PDT), RickH
wrote:

You need to replace the sensors with narrow vertical beam sensors (or
sensors with adjustable vertical spread) and aim them better. I have
several sensors like this and we have a dog that never sets them off.
The trick is to aim them vertically so that all motion underneath is
ignored, so only people set it off. Stairs are tricky if your current
sensor is at the staircase bottom, you may have to set the aim so that
only the top stair is covered but at a height taller than a cat. This
will still allow the cat to ascend the staircase but a human being
would set it off at the top. Or install a dedicated sensor for just
the stairs and aim it down the staircase from the top taller than the
damn cats, (your alarm panel should have some spare inputs). And re-

You don't actually need spare inputs. If you have normally open
sensors, you put them all in parallel. If you have normally closed,
you put them all in series. And on all good panels, and many others,
you can use both open and closed at the same time, the open in
parallel and the closed in series. (Many panels require a 27? ohm
resistor if you only have normally closed sensors. By making the
normal resistance neither zero nor infinite, it can consider either
zero or infinite to be alarm conditions. Quite clever those guys are.)

I don't know how it works with Slomin, where iiuc the equipment is
provided free, and they may keep secret what each connection is for.

OTOH, their unwillingness to help the OP means that, it seems to me,
he's free to learn about their equipment from them or any other
source. Otherwise he'd be forced to change providers, which will cost
them all the money they make from him (Unless he had to sign a
contract for a certain term, but that term couldn't be more than a
year or two.) So maybe they'll tell you what each screw is for if
you ask, and you can tell where the sensors are connected anyhow. You
can find out if they are NO, or NC (normally closed) with an ohmmeter.
Don't forget that sensors like IR also have a 12volt power supply to
them, and thus they have 4 wires.. Window and door switches usually
only have 2 wires.

The advantage of separate inputs is that the control panel can show
what zone had the alarm condition. But I went 20 years with only one
zone. Since I never actually had a burglary or an alarm I didn't
trigger myself, I never had any occasion to wonder what zone or what
sensor had triggered an alarm.

point the old bottom staircase sensor into the room away from the
staircase. Sorry to hear your future wife has cats, but thats the way
it goes sometimes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:26:09 -0700, "Big Al"
wrote:

My systen has a IR sensor with a narrow beam. Adjusted it to hit objects 3'
or higher off the floor. One false alarm in many years. One cat was tearing
up a bread wrapper and set it off. Three cats, no problem. (With the alsrm
One of them called 911 one time. That was a problem. Took 911 off speed
dial...

Al

So who do you have on speed dial?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

luck with the three cats, though. *- Hide quoted text -

We had that problem in a townhouse apartment. My wife crawled up the
stairs while I adjusted the sensor. I had some fun with this.

Jimmie.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message

What do people with pets do in the case of having a home security
system.. Do they just not use motion sensors and use window and door
sensors?

You may be able to blind part of the motion sensor that sees the area where
the cats are. Put some strips of electrical tape, maybe 1/2" wide, either
horizontal or (more likely) vertically on the sensor, putting the tape
between the sensor itself & the area where the cats are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 24 Oct 2008 12:34:02p, Chris told us...

I have had a Slomin's security system in my home for a few years and
have been satisfied. However, my fiancee just moved in with her three
cats. Now the motion sensor goes off when they use the stairway (at
least.. that's what I have witnessed for right now.. who knows where
else they will trip it off..)

I called Slomins and they just said disarm the motion sensor.. Well..
that defeates the purpose of home security, doesn't it? They acted
like there was nothing else they could do.

I read about Intelligent Pet Sensors, that are able to tell the
difference between an animal or a burgler.. However, that's all sales-
pitch. I have also read stuff from people saying they are a big
disappointment.

They work, as least ours does.

What do people with pets do in the case of having a home security
system.. Do they just not use motion sensors and use window and door
sensors?

We have five cats. Our sensors are activated by both motion and body heat.
Unless the cats come within approximately 1.5 to 2 feet of the sensor, they
cannot set off the alarm. Since the sensors are mounted at ceiling level,
this is literally impossible. At the same time, they easily sense a body
as small as a 5 year old child. After installation, we had extensive
testing done.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 10(X)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: United Nations Day
Countdown till Veteran's Day
2wks 3dys 2hrs 3mins
'We are Microsoft. Resistance Is
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 5:18*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Chris wrote:
[...]

Arlington, TX- Hide quoted text -

Tape might work, many have beam patterns like motion sensor lights,
[same sensors?] that fan down and have a lens for low, med low, and
horizontal, you cover all but the top lens that is horizontal, mine
had a add on plate that blocked the angled beam
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Chris wrote:

What do people with pets do in the case of having a home security
system.. Do they just not use motion sensors and use window and door
sensors?

They leave home security to the pets:

http://www.the-rogers.net/jokes/Beware%20Of%20Dog.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

In some cases, you can mask off parts of the sensor pattern with tape, like
black masking tape. You can take the case front off the sensor, and add the tape
where it doesn't show. It may not work, but it doesn't cost much to try.
Sometimes, removing the front of the case may be tricky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

doors and windows is the best way to go, with a motion strategically placed
inside incase. pet proof motions work great for dogs, not so great for cats
that can jump up and get close to motion. if you can find a place where the
motion is pointing where the cat can not get on something and get closer to
the motion then it will work well. otherwise look out for cats and motions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message

[...]

All I've been able to do is make sure no one walks on my ceilings. The
rest of the volume belongs to the cats.

Since we don't need to lock our doors yet it's not a big problem.

Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boden" wrote in message
Bob wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message

[...]

I'm with you. The day I have to lock my doors is the day I sell the house. I
just don't get security systems. Try moving to someplace safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message ...

I'm with you. The day I have to lock my doors is the day I sell the house. I
just don't get security systems. Try moving to someplace safe.

There anren't many places in the US where it is considered "safe" to not lock
doors. There are plenty where it is considered stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...
Chris wrote:
[...]

It goes something like this for me ............ now why the hell did I put
my watch on my right hand, and I'll ponder it a while before remembering.
Then I'll say where did I put my keys so I wouldn't forget where I put them?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 1:34*pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

I put a motion sensor light on my barn to save power, and to avoid
tripping on a step that goes to the door. Now the light goes on and
off all night long from my 12 barn cats going in an out to get some
cat food or whatever else they do in there. So, once again I turn off
the switch all the time. I even aimed the sensor high so it would not
be activated from movement at ground level. That did nothing to solve
the problem. I think motion sensors are useless with pets, and even
if I didn't have cats, wild animals like coons turn the light on too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What do people with pets do in the case of having a home security
system.. Do they just not use motion sensors and use window and door
sensors?

I recently had a new system installed by ADT. They claim the motion
sensors don't notice animals under 40 pounds. So far so good with
three small dogs and two cats running around the house.

Steve B.