Posted to alt.home.repair
marlboroman marlboroman is offline

Default cats vs. motion sensors

On Oct 24, 1:34*pm, Chris wrote:
I have had a Slomin's security system in my home for a few years and
have been satisfied. However, my fiancee just moved in with her three
cats. Now the motion sensor goes off when they use the stairway (at
least.. that's what I have witnessed for right now.. who knows where
else they will trip it off..)

I called Slomins and they just said disarm the motion sensor.. Well..
that defeates the purpose of home security, doesn't it? They acted
like there was nothing else they could do.

I read about Intelligent Pet Sensors, that are able to tell the
difference between an animal or a burgler.. However, that's all sales-
pitch. I have also read stuff from people saying they are a big
disappointment.

What do people with pets do in the case of having a home security
system.. Do they just not use motion sensors and use window and door
sensors?

I put a motion sensor light on my barn to save power, and to avoid
tripping on a step that goes to the door. Now the light goes on and
off all night long from my 12 barn cats going in an out to get some
cat food or whatever else they do in there. So, once again I turn off
the switch all the time. I even aimed the sensor high so it would not
be activated from movement at ground level. That did nothing to solve
the problem. I think motion sensors are useless with pets, and even
if I didn't have cats, wild animals like coons turn the light on too.