Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cats vs. motion sensors

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:34:02 -0700 (PDT), Chris
wrote:

I have had a Slomin's security system in my home for a few years and
have been satisfied. However, my fiancee just moved in with her three
cats. Now the motion sensor goes off when they use the stairway (at
least.. that's what I have witnessed for right now.. who knows where
else they will trip it off..)

I called Slomins and they just said disarm the motion sensor.. Well..
that defeates the purpose of home security, doesn't it? They acted
like there was nothing else they could do.

I read about Intelligent Pet Sensors, that are able to tell the
difference between an animal or a burgler.. However, that's all sales-
pitch. I have also read stuff from people saying they are a big
disappointment.

What do people with pets do in the case of having a home security
system.. Do they just not use motion sensors and use window and door
sensors?

If it is a directional sensor maybe you can experiment in pointing it
where the cats can't go or get a different sensor. Cats seem to claim
every availalble area in a home and can jump several feet up. Good
luck with the three cats, though.