Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Glue for sliding laminate into position

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a glue that would permit me to cover a plastic
laminate countertop by SLIDING a section of new laminate into position
over it?
I can't use contact cement because the layout of the countertop and
overhead shelving won't allow me to simply LAY the new section on top
of the old laminate.
Thanks...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 9:20*am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a glue that would permit me to cover a plastic
laminate countertop by SLIDING a section of new laminate into position
over it?
I can't use contact cement because the layout of the countertop and
overhead shelving won't allow me to simply LAY the new section on top
of the old laminate.

Use a layer of craft paper over the contact cement and a spacers to hold
the laminate off the cement until it is in place then remove them
working from one end to the other. *Be sure to have it in place first
and the one corner to the far other is important to avoid a bubble in
the middle.

--

DPB's comments will work just fine ...if you can execute it.

A very thin layer of epoxy would work as well.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a glue that would permit me to cover a plastic
laminate countertop by SLIDING a section of new laminate into position
over it?
I can't use contact cement because the layout of the countertop and
overhead shelving won't allow me to simply LAY the new section on top
of the old laminate.
Thanks...

Can't recommend a glue. However, when I used to install laminate, we would
cement both the laminate & surface which the laminate was being applied.
Then use 3/16" dowel rods placed about every 18" or so, so the laminate
wouldn't come in contact with the surface. Position the laminate, then
start removing the dowel rods from the center outward, one by one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toffee Monday" wrote in message

wrote in message
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a glue that would permit me to cover a plastic
laminate countertop by SLIDING a section of new laminate into position
over it?
I can't use contact cement because the layout of the countertop and
overhead shelving won't allow me to simply LAY the new section on top
of the old laminate.
Thanks...

Can't recommend a glue. However, when I used to install laminate, we would
cement both the laminate & surface which the laminate was being applied.
Then use 3/16" dowel rods placed about every 18" or so, so the laminate
wouldn't come in contact with the surface. Position the laminate, then
start removing the dowel rods from the center outward, one by one.

I tried paper once without success. Quite a bit of paper remained stuck to
the glue under the laminate. However the job turned out okay even with the
addition of paper. Paper may of worked better if I would have allowed more
dry time for the glue. Toffee's suggestion of using dowels works great.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pat wrote:
... Paper may of worked better if I would have allowed more
dry time for the glue. ...

That's the trick -- it does have to be dry to the touch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Pat wrote:
... Paper may of worked better if I would have allowed more dry time for
the glue. ...

That's the trick -- it does have to be dry to the touch.

--

I covered the countertop with sheets of newspaper. The newspaper stuck a
little. I was able to remove the paper in front but the back would tear

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in message
I covered the countertop with sheets of newspaper. The newspaper stuck a
little. I was able to remove the paper in front but the back would tear
when I pulled on it. I had little room in which to work. Quite a lot of
paper remained under the laminate when I finished. If I was ever to try
paper again I think I would try something stronger and thicker then
newspaper. Perhaps strips cut from a cardboard box. I definitely would
not use newspaper again. Dowels work well because there is only a small
surface to stick and the dowel is strong when pulled.

Waxed paper would be better. Best would be silicone coated paper, but not
easily found outside of industrial applications.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
I covered the countertop with sheets of newspaper. The newspaper stuck a
little. I was able to remove the paper in front but the back would tear
when I pulled on it. I had little room in which to work. Quite a lot of
paper remained under the laminate when I finished. If I was ever to try
paper again I think I would try something stronger and thicker then
newspaper. Perhaps strips cut from a cardboard box. I definitely would
not use newspaper again. Dowels work well because there is only a small
surface to stick and the dowel is strong when pulled.

Waxed paper would be better. Best would be silicone coated paper, but not
easily found outside of industrial applications.

Bakers parchment paper is silicone coated. In the baking aisle....
MikeB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toffee Monday wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a glue that would permit me to cover a plastic
laminate countertop by SLIDING a section of new laminate into position
over it?
I can't use contact cement because the layout of the countertop and
overhead shelving won't allow me to simply LAY the new section on top
of the old laminate.
Thanks...

Can't recommend a glue. However, when I used to install laminate, we would
cement both the laminate & surface which the laminate was being applied.
Then use 3/16" dowel rods placed about every 18" or so, so the laminate
wouldn't come in contact with the surface. Position the laminate, then
start removing the dowel rods from the center outward, one by one.

This was featured on one of the home shows recently. Don't recall what
size dowels they used, but
I don't see how one could miss using this method. Just use enough
dowels that the surfaces can't
make contact until perfectly aligned.