Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ordering Gravel

I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage mostly
to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to order. A
friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and that I should
order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage mostly
to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to order. A
friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and that I
should order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....

It is sold by size, but I have no idea what is best for you. As the guys at
the gravel place what will work best for you situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage
mostly to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to
order. A friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and
that I should order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....

It is sold by size, but I have no idea what is best for you. As the guys
at the gravel place what will work best for you situation.

The soil you're spreading it on will be a factor, mebbe requiring two
layers - first a large aggregate, topped with something smaller. In my
county DOT provides free asphalt grindings whenever they mill a road being
prepared for resurfacing. They even deliver it!

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Gravel varies by region depending on the type of rocks and sand types that
are available because it is very expensive to ship any distance. Given that,
gravel is sold as washed which means that most of the fines are removed.
This type is good for drainage as around foundations, if used on driveways
the gravel tends to move around from driving on it. It is also sold as
"crusher run" which includes the stone dust and fines from the crusher, this
is a good base for driveways and roads as it packs down. In areas with sand
and gravel mixed, this is also available for driveway bases and comes in a
couple of qualities, around here it is called Granular A or Granular B, B is
mostly sand.

Next it sold by size, pea gravel is about 1/4 to 3/8" in diameter. Then
there is 3/4, 1", 2" and 6" stones. 2" and up is very difficult to move by
hand, power equipment is best.
Phone a couple of local aggregate suppliers and see what they recommend for
your needs.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage
mostly to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to
order. A friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and
that I should order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....

It is sold by size, but I have no idea what is best for you. As the guys
at the gravel place what will work best for you situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"benick" wrote in message
. ..
I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage mostly
to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to order. A
friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and that I
should order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....

It is sold by size, but I have no idea what is best for you. As the guys at
the gravel place what will work best for you situation.

If what you have, works, take a paper cup of it to the gravel place, and
say 'I need more like this'. Note that you can't just dump it on the
ground- it won't stay there. Ground needs to be scraped and sloped
appropriately, and maybe compacted. A border helps, even just that
plastic garden edging stuff. If you have to get a Big Yellow Machine in
there, the driver will likely know the size usually used locally. You
may need multiple layers of different sizes, if you want it pretty and
pothole-free. Tamping and wetting-down after installation will help
smooth it out and reduce the amount the plow or snowblower picks up.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

For a driveway he's going to want crushed stone, not river gravel.
Crushed stone is angular, so stays put. River gravel is smooth and
slippery, and often much more expensive too.

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage
mostly to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to
order. A friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and
that I should order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....

In Maine, a better material to use is "reclaim." This is ground
material taken up when roads are resurfaced. It packs much better than
crushed rock. The problem with crushed rock is that it gets picked up
by the plow blade, and in the snow being plowed, so that each spring you
need to regrade. It's a never ending cycle. Spread gravel out in the
spring, plow it to where you don't want it all winter, and spread it
back to where you want it again in the spring. Reclaim stays put unless
the plow operator digs into it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boden" wrote in message
benick wrote:
I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage
mostly to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to
order. A friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and
that I should order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....

In Maine, a better material to use is "reclaim." This is ground material
taken up when roads are resurfaced. It packs much better than crushed
rock. The problem with crushed rock is that it gets picked up by the plow
blade, and in the snow being plowed, so that each spring you need to
regrade. It's a never ending cycle. Spread gravel out in the spring,
plow it to where you don't want it all winter, and spread it back to where
you want it again in the spring. Reclaim stays put unless the plow
operator digs into it.

The area in question has already been scraped off as the driveway and garage
are new. I just want to extend the turnaround back about 8 feet to the
stonewall for snow storage ,15 feet wide. It is only about 8-10 inches of
fill to be level with turaround with a slight slope toward the
ditch...Thanks for all the info everyone...Atleast I won't sound totally
stupid when I call them which was what I was shooting for...LOL...Thanks
again....

Posted to alt.home.repair

my neighbor tired of muddy gravel he had a unique solution

he had the driveway dug out deep, paved with asphalt, a low cost
reclaimed kind. then covered with near a foot of gravel. 20 years
later no mud.

he liked the look of gravel its the ONLY non muddy gravel driveway I
have ever seen
Posted to alt.home.repair

two inch is a bit large for a residential drive. 3/4 or one inch is more
preferable. Unless you are starting a new spot, then a base of 2" covered
with AB3 (some call it crush and run) and then the 3/4 on top all that the
next year.

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage mostly
to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to order. A
friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and that I
should order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 1:05�am, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
two inch is a bit large for a residential drive. �3/4 or one inch is more
preferable. �Unless you are starting a new spot, then a base of 2" covered
with AB3 (some call it crush and run) and then the 3/4 on top all that the
next year.

"benick" wrote in message

. ..

I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage mostly
to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to order. A
friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and that I
should order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....- Hide quoted text -

2 inch diameter is tough to walk on, for a women in heels impossible.

3/4 much better choice for top surface

ordering hvlp couplers [email protected] Woodworking 0 April 22nd 08 01:37 PM
Ordering Grizzly from Busy Bee Warren Woodworking 14 February 27th 06 09:28 PM
MCB ordering Christian McArdle UK diy 3 February 6th 06 08:02 PM
OT- HUMOR - Ordering pizza in 2008 Glenna Rose Woodworking 6 February 3rd 05 06:27 AM
Online ordering of power tools? BigWallop UK diy 9 August 5th 03 01:53 PM