Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default Ordering Gravel

benick wrote:
I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage
mostly to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to
order. A friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and
that I should order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....

In Maine, a better material to use is "reclaim." This is ground
material taken up when roads are resurfaced. It packs much better than
crushed rock. The problem with crushed rock is that it gets picked up
by the plow blade, and in the snow being plowed, so that each spring you
need to regrade. It's a never ending cycle. Spread gravel out in the
spring, plow it to where you don't want it all winter, and spread it
back to where you want it again in the spring. Reclaim stays put unless
the plow operator digs into it.