Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Ordering Gravel

"Boden" wrote in message
benick wrote:
I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage
mostly to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to
order. A friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and
that I should order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....

In Maine, a better material to use is "reclaim." This is ground material
taken up when roads are resurfaced. It packs much better than crushed
rock. The problem with crushed rock is that it gets picked up by the plow
blade, and in the snow being plowed, so that each spring you need to
regrade. It's a never ending cycle. Spread gravel out in the spring,
plow it to where you don't want it all winter, and spread it back to where
you want it again in the spring. Reclaim stays put unless the plow
operator digs into it.

The area in question has already been scraped off as the driveway and garage
are new. I just want to extend the turnaround back about 8 feet to the
stonewall for snow storage ,15 feet wide. It is only about 8-10 inches of
fill to be level with turaround with a slight slope toward the
ditch...Thanks for all the info everyone...Atleast I won't sound totally
stupid when I call them which was what I was shooting for...LOL...Thanks
again....