Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Ordering Gravel

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"benick" wrote in message
. ..
I've got to order some gravel to expand my turnaround by the garage mostly
to have more space to push snow (Maine) and I'm not sure what to order. A
friend said gravel is sold by the size of the rocks in it and that I
should order 2 inch...Is this true??? Thanks for any help.....

It is sold by size, but I have no idea what is best for you. As the guys at
the gravel place what will work best for you situation.

If what you have, works, take a paper cup of it to the gravel place, and
say 'I need more like this'. Note that you can't just dump it on the
ground- it won't stay there. Ground needs to be scraped and sloped
appropriately, and maybe compacted. A border helps, even just that
plastic garden edging stuff. If you have to get a Big Yellow Machine in
there, the driver will likely know the size usually used locally. You
may need multiple layers of different sizes, if you want it pretty and
pothole-free. Tamping and wetting-down after installation will help
smooth it out and reduce the amount the plow or snowblower picks up.

--
aem sends...