Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Default MCB ordering

I know it is best practice to shove the higher rated MCBs/RCBOs up towards
the supply side of the bus bar.

However, for new 32A circuits, do people generally re-jig the ordering to
maintain this, or just bung a new one on the end after all the 6A ones?
There would be about 6 to move and it would complicate the existing wiring,
as there is not much slack.

I presume that DIN rail bus bar is perfectly capable of maintaining the full
100A right to the end (it's a 16 way type), and the circuit is unlikely to
be loaded to any extent, so I'm not worried about the tiny potential for any
significant voltage drop. I'm just worried that the inspector will have some
potential set of personal Hitlerite rules that aren't in the regs and I
don't particularly want to argue the toss.

So, do I bother rejigging the low rating MCBs?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
I know it is best practice to shove the higher rated MCBs/RCBOs up towards
the supply side of the bus bar.

However, for new 32A circuits, do people generally re-jig the ordering to
maintain this, or just bung a new one on the end after all the 6A ones?
There would be about 6 to move and it would complicate the existing wiring,
as there is not much slack.

I presume that DIN rail bus bar is perfectly capable of maintaining the full
100A right to the end (it's a 16 way type), and the circuit is unlikely to
be loaded to any extent, so I'm not worried about the tiny potential for any
significant voltage drop. I'm just worried that the inspector will have some
potential set of personal Hitlerite rules that aren't in the regs and I
don't particularly want to argue the toss.

So, do I bother rejigging the low rating MCBs?

Christian.

You should arrange them so that in morse code they spell 'fail me n u
die'

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I would not bother rejigging the MCBs unless you expect to use a high load.
My downstairs lighting draws more current than the ring main that feeds the
bedrooms but I still have the 32 amp MCB before the 6 amp one. It would
probably be more effective the other way around.

The only thing an inspector in Hitler mode may pick up on is that the
neutrals are not in the correct place in the bus bar. ie MCB 1 should have
its neutrals in screw terminal 1 on the neutral bus bar etc. or be tagged
with labels to show their position.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 14:35:21 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I know it is best practice to shove the higher rated MCBs/RCBOs up towards
the supply side of the bus bar.

However, for new 32A circuits, do people generally re-jig the ordering to
maintain this, or just bung a new one on the end after all the 6A ones?
There would be about 6 to move and it would complicate the existing wiring,
as there is not much slack.

I presume that DIN rail bus bar is perfectly capable of maintaining the full
100A right to the end (it's a 16 way type), and the circuit is unlikely to
be loaded to any extent, so I'm not worried about the tiny potential for any
significant voltage drop. I'm just worried that the inspector will have some
potential set of personal Hitlerite rules that aren't in the regs and I
don't particularly want to argue the toss.

So, do I bother rejigging the low rating MCBs?

Christian.

I used a 20W consumer unit and added in a couple of spare 32A, 16A and
6A MCBs to avoid the need to move them later. MCBs aren't hugely
expensive, are they?

The other way is to put in blanks at certain places and fit MCBs
later. However, that means dropping the bus bar out to add an MCB.

More to the point to avoid confusion is to leave spaces in the neutral
and earth blocks for new wiring so that the circuit neutrals and
earths terminate in the right places

--

..andy