Posted to alt.home.repair
Xao Xao is offline

Default Question about garage door size...

I have an existing garage door on a small one car garage that I use
more for storage than anything else. It's an old garage with a wooden
door on it currently.

Question is, I measured the size of the actual wooden door itself and
it comes out to 94" (7' 8") width and 78" (6' 5") in height. When I
look at garage doors in the weekly circular the closest I see listed
is a standard size of 8' x 7'. When they quote these sizes, are they
quoting what it will be with the hardware or the door itself?

If it's the door itself, I'm assuming I'll have to contact a garage
door specialty place for a custom size?

Thanks for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's an old garage with a wooden door on it currently.
Question is, I measured the size of the actual wooden door itself and
it comes out to 94" (7' 8") width and 78" (6' 5") in height.. I see listed
is a standard size of 8' x 7'. When they quote these sizes, are they
quoting what it will be with the hardware or the door itself?

Thats the size of the door itself. Standard "roll up" doors don't fit
INSIDE the opening, they go on the inside of the garage, AGAINST the
opening, therefore there would be a 2" overlap on either SIDE of your
opening and about 6" ABOVE your opening. A narrow piece of weatherstrip all
around seals the edges against weather. The hardware holds in it place.
This is a simple job for an installer as long as you have the overhead and
side clearance inside the garage.

Go look at a neighbors 'overhead' door and see how they work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

If you are in the market for a door and have a Wayne Dalton dealer near you
be sure to check them out for pricing. They make great doors and despite
early problems with their Idrive opener, the current ones are terrific and
fit right above the door instead of in the middle of the ceiling. We had 3
installed last year and they are working great and you don't have to install
the extra safety eyes at the base of the opening if you go with a non pinch
WD doors.