Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question re cutting door down to size

I have some hollow core doors that are 80" in height that I need to cut
down to 78 3/4". They seem to have a 2" frame on the top and bottom. I
am going to install by-pass roller hardware on the top so I think I
should only remove wood from the bottom. Do you think I will degrade
the integrity of the door if that much is removed from one end.

Thanks for your assistance.

michael

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 13, 6:29 pm, Michael Lindbeck wrote:
I have some hollow core doors that are 80" in height that I need to cut
down to 78 3/4". They seem to have a 2" frame on the top and bottom. I
am going to install by-pass roller hardware on the top so I think I
should only remove wood from the bottom. Do you think I will degrade
the integrity of the door if that much is removed from one end.

Thanks for your assistance.

michael

Sigh.

I apologize for the multiple posts. I posted the question and never
saw it appear in the newsgroup; so I changed something in my newsreader
configuration and tried again. I tried again... Then, the third try
worked. Then, the first two appeared hours later. Confusing. I
though I had something setup wrong. Sorry.

michael
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Lindbeck" wrote

I have some hollow core doors that are 80" in height that I need
to cut
down to 78 3/4". They seem to have a 2" frame on the top and bottom. I
am going to install by-pass roller hardware on the top so I think I
should only remove wood from the bottom. Do you think I will degrade
the integrity of the door if that much is removed from one end.

I apologize for the multiple posts. I posted the question and never saw
it appear in the newsgroup; so I changed something in my newsreader
configuration and tried again. I tried again... Then, the third try
worked. Then, the first two appeared hours later. Confusing. I though
I had something setup wrong. Sorry.

It happens Michael, don't worry about it (grin).

On the door, we have similar. You may be happier just getting another door
and the reason is if yours are like ours, the thin veneer wood covering will
splinter if you try to cut it down.

That said, if you want to try it, by all means work from the direction you
list and be prepared to have to add a new thin wood at the bottom up inside,
basically 'moving up' the wood that is there now or replacing with a new
piece. That piece now is probably only 1 inch or so thick even if it seems
more before you open the door up. So you cant just take it out and leave
the bottom 'floppy' or it will get damaged fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 1:30 pm, Michael Lindbeck
wrote:

I apologize for the multiple posts. I posted the question and never
saw it appear in the newsgroup; so I changed something in my newsreader
configuration and tried again. I tried again... Then, the third try
worked. Then, the first two appeared hours later. Confusing. I
though I had something setup wrong. Sorry.

michael

Fair enough. No harm, no foul. Cutting the door down is easy and
shouldn't take you more than about an hour working at a careful pace
and doing it for the first time. Use a razor knife to score deeply on
your cut line, then use a staightedge as a guide for your circular
saw. Strip the veneer from both sides of the off-cut bottom piece - I
may not have mentioned it's better to just cut one end. You will have
to use a block of wood or some such to push the cardboard honeycomb
door innards out of the way so you can slip in the stripped off-cut
piece. Use a chisel and plane to clean up the inside faces of the
door skins and the outside of the off-cut so you'll get a nice fit.
Glue and clamp the Franken-wood piece back into the cavity of the cut
down door. After the glue's set up, use a block plane to trim the/
bevel the edges and you're good to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:29:54 -0700, Michael Lindbeck
wrote:

I have some hollow core doors that are 80" in height that I need to cut
down to 78 3/4". They seem to have a 2" frame on the top and bottom. I
am going to install by-pass roller hardware on the top so I think I
should only remove wood from the bottom. Do you think I will degrade
the integrity of the door if that much is removed from one end.

Thanks for your assistance.

michael

Although hollow-core doors obviously don't need the strength as solid
doors, I would be concerned if more than 40% of any rail was removed.
Obviously I can't see your door nor how it was made, but generally the
bottom rail has more extra beef than other rails.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Lindbeck wrote in
:

I have some hollow core doors that are 80" in height that I need
to cut
down to 78 3/4". They seem to have a 2" frame on the top and bottom.
I am going to install by-pass roller hardware on the top so I think I
should only remove wood from the bottom. Do you think I will degrade
the integrity of the door if that much is removed from one end.

Thanks for your assistance.

michael

Drill a third hole look at the hole from the your first or second posting.

just funnin' with ya...