Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New garage door question(s)

I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/29/2007 7:37 PM havan'at'earthlink.net said the following:
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

My wooden one has lasted more than 23 years, but it's under an overhang.
:-) I would look for a vinyl or aluminum one. Both are light in weight.
Steel can rust and is heavier than the others.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

havan'at'earthlink.net wrote in message
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Any new door should last well over 10 years, even the mid line ones. .

I chose a steel door because it was insulated (I need that) and the finish
was guaranteed for many years. Wood can look good, but is more prone to
need paint, or to rod and just need more maintenance than the other
materials. I'm not familiar with vinyl on doors, but it should last for
many years, the color is solid so it won't scratch and does not dent easily.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

Hi,
Steel with foam core for insulation which is for cold and warm climate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

havan'at'earthlink.net wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

Attached garage?

Why should that matter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry Avant" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

havan'at'earthlink.net wrote in message
. ..
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

Attached garage?

Why should that matter?

Around here, there's been a rash of burglaries involving UNattached garages.
They literally kick in the bottom panels of lightweight garage doors and
make off with a lawnmower and other stuff. The cops figure they choose
UNattached garages because the homeowner is less likely to hear the noise.

A heavier door might be indicated for unattached garages, unless you store
your yard equipment in your living room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:37:12 -0700, havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:

I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

What's the size? I am the garage door master.

Size? It's a standard single door for a two car garage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Wood rots and needs painting.

Vinyl looks like vinyl.

That leaves steel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 6:37 pm, havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

I always regretted not getting a row of lights (windows) on my garage
doors, makes the garage brighter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
On Sep 29, 6:37 pm, havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

I always regretted not getting a row of lights (windows) on my garage
doors, makes the garage brighter.

Get shades. Else strange folk can look in and see your stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:47:12 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

RickH wrote:
On Sep 29, 6:37 pm, havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

I always regretted not getting a row of lights (windows) on my garage
doors, makes the garage brighter.

Get shades. Else strange folk can look in and see your stuff.

I greeted a stranger about a month ago, with a gun barrel, but it was
the front door.

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

RickH wrote:
On Sep 29, 6:37 pm, havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

I always regretted not getting a row of lights (windows) on my garage
doors, makes the garage brighter.

Get shades. Else strange folk can look in and see your stuff.

I greeted a stranger about a month ago, with a gun barrel, but it was
the front door.

--
Oren

Did he find that interesting? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

RickH wrote:

On Sep 29, 6:37 pm, havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:

I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

I always regretted not getting a row of lights (windows) on my garage
doors, makes the garage brighter.

Get shades. Else strange folk can look in and see your stuff.

I greeted a stranger about a month ago, with a gun barrel, but it was
the front door.

Was it a Jehovah's Witness?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:57:46 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

RickH wrote:
On Sep 29, 6:37 pm, havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

I always regretted not getting a row of lights (windows) on my garage
doors, makes the garage brighter.

Get shades. Else strange folk can look in and see your stuff.

I greeted a stranger about a month ago, with a gun barrel, but it was
the front door.

--
Oren

Did he find that interesting? :-)

Eye balls widened and the comment was - "never mind" :-)) !

His female partner made the comment.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:57:46 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

RickH wrote:
[...]

What was the reason for your metallic response? (And, I'm *not* about to be
critical about that. I'm just curious.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

RickH wrote:

On Sep 29, 6:37 pm, havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:

I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with
something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not
important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials
such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm
after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

I always regretted not getting a row of lights (windows) on my garage
doors, makes the garage brighter.

Get shades. Else strange folk can look in and see your stuff.

I greeted a stranger about a month ago, with a gun barrel, but it was
the front door.

Was it a Jehovah's Witness?

It don't matter. I enjoyed the facial expressions. They were
priceless.

These were gang bangers; scoping the area. Of course I'm armed and
dangerous

Sharp instruments git (sic) me cut!

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Eye balls widened and the comment was - "never mind" :-)) !

His female partner made the comment.

--
Oren

What was the reason for your metallic response? (And, I'm *not* about
to be critical about that. I'm just curious.)

Doesn't everyone?

Do you mean "isn't everyone?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:30:34 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I greeted a stranger about a month ago, with a gun barrel, but it was
the front door.

Did he find that interesting? :-)

Eye balls widened and the comment was - "never mind" :-)) !

His female partner made the comment.

What was the reason for your metallic response? (And, I'm *not* about to be
critical about that. I'm just curious.)

Call it a gut feeling, observations at the moment, training or
whatever.

Some years ago, two cops (Las Vegas) were shooting pool in the open
garage and two gang bangers decided to encroach and rob them. One was
shot dead, the other went to a hospital jail.

Let this stay here (in Vegas) :-)

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I greeted a stranger about a month ago, with a gun barrel, but it was
the front door.

Did he find that interesting? :-)

Eye balls widened and the comment was - "never mind" :-)) !

His female partner made the comment.

What was the reason for your metallic response? (And, I'm *not* about to
be
critical about that. I'm just curious.)

Call it a gut feeling, observations at the moment, training or
whatever.

Some years ago, two cops (Las Vegas) were shooting pool in the open
garage and two gang bangers decided to encroach and rob them. One was
shot dead, the other went to a hospital jail.

Let this stay here (in Vegas) :-)

--
Oren

Sounds like a good reason to me.