Posted to alt.home.repair
MacD[_2_] MacD[_2_] is offline

Default Question about garage door size...

In article ,
says...

I have an existing garage door on a small one car garage that I use
more for storage than anything else. It's an old garage with a wooden
door on it currently.

Question is, I measured the size of the actual wooden door itself and
it comes out to 94" (7' 8") width and 78" (6' 5") in height. When I
look at garage doors in the weekly circular the closest I see listed
is a standard size of 8' x 7'. When they quote these sizes, are they
quoting what it will be with the hardware or the door itself?

If it's the door itself, I'm assuming I'll have to contact a garage
door specialty place for a custom size?

You need an 8' x 6 1/2' door. It's a fairly common size for an older
garage, I install a couple a year. They are readily available at lumber yards,
but will have to be ordered at a Home Depot, for instance. It will overhang the
sides a bit, but this shouldn't be a problem.

--
MacD