Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Question on Laminate Flooring

I just spent quite a bit of time researching Pergo.

Many have commented that there is a clicking sound when walking on it,
and others have said it is too spongy.

Can anyone comment on this please?

Thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I just spent quite a bit of time researching Pergo.

Many have commented that there is a clicking sound when walking on it,
and others have said it is too spongy.

Can anyone comment on this please?

Thanks.

Kate

Spongy is usually a sloppy install or uneven floor. Clicking may be
possible as it is a hard surface material and the right type of shoe
material can make noise on any floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 3:35*am, Kate wrote:
I just spent quite a bit of time researching Pergo.

Many have commented that there is a clicking sound when walking on it,
and others have said it is too spongy.

Can anyone comment on this please?

Thanks.

Kate

I have none of those issues, being a bit soft is a bonus to keep from
getting sore feet compared to walking on tile all day. But I will say
maple pergo I have is so smooth any dirt shows immediatly and I have a
few holes from dropping things in the kitchen. There are tougher
floors that show less dirt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I just spent quite a bit of time researching Pergo.

Many have commented that there is a clicking sound when walking on it,
and others have said it is too spongy.

Can anyone comment on this please?

The floor itself doesn't "click" (or shouldn't). Perhaps commentators are
hearing the taps on ladies' high heels?

Spongy? Could be. Laminate is not attached to the substance beneath it
(i.e., concrete slab). If there are irregularities, such as laying laminate
over carpeting, you might get a bounce or a wiggle. But put down even
semi-properly, you won't see any bobbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:35:37 -0700, Kate wrote:

I just spent quite a bit of time researching Pergo.

Many have commented that there is a clicking sound when walking on it,
and others have said it is too spongy.

Can anyone comment on this please?

Thanks.

Kate

No bounce or wiggle or bobbing here. Dirt does not show appreciably. I
mop it up with Bruce laminate cleaner once a month, and I use a
Swiffer once a month. Takes no time for 5 rooms.
No dents in mine after 2 years, the usual water spills have caused
zero problems; if a water ring is left behind, I use a lightly
moistened paper towel and it's gone.
Mine is Pergo on moisture barrier on concrete. Installed by Lowe's
contracted personnel.
hth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I just spent quite a bit of time researching Pergo.

Many have commented that there is a clicking sound when walking on it,
and others have said it is too spongy.

Can anyone comment on this please?

Thanks.

Kate

Different strokes for different folks. Having seen a lot of Pergo floors
when I was house shopping 3 years ago, I didn't care for it. I detest
fake woodgrain, and the floors looked and felt like a giant countertop
to me. Wood is supposed to feel solid underfoot. The only engineered
floors I would even consider are the ones with a real wood top layer,
and them only if I couldn't afford 3/4 t&g hardwood. If that wasn't in
the budget I'd go with good vinyl for wet rooms, and the most
indestructible w/w carpet I could afford in the others.

But that is just me- YMMV, and probably will. I know plenty of people
that love their fake floors.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know what you are talking about. The only reason I am looking at
Pergo is that my brother has a high-end home and he has the real Mc coy
wooden floors.

Accidents happen, and his refrigerator leaked. It was a mess, as he had
to hire someone to come in and sand and treat the wood floor. He said
if he had to do it over, he would go with a laminate floor.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kate

aemeijers wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I know what you are talking about. The only reason I am looking at
Pergo is that my brother has a high-end home and he has the real Mc coy
wooden floors.

Accidents happen, and his refrigerator leaked. It was a mess, as he had
to hire someone to come in and sand and treat the wood floor. He said
if he had to do it over, he would go with a laminate floor.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kate

Ahh but read the warnings about laminate getting wet.
I know someome who had to replace part of a floor when a dishwasher
leaked. Google is your friend. Have you tried it?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 4:13*am, LouB wrote:
Kate wrote:
I know what you are talking about. *The only reason I am looking at
Pergo is that my brother has a high-end home and he has the real Mc coy
wooden floors.

Accidents happen, and his refrigerator leaked. *It was a mess, as he had
to hire someone to come in and sand and treat the wood floor. *He said
if he had to do it over, he would go with a laminate floor.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kate

Ahh but read the warnings about laminate getting wet.
I know someome who had to replace part of a floor when a dishwasher
leaked. *Google is your friend. *Have you tried it?

Lou

I'd also consider re-sale value. I'm not saying there aren't places
and uses for Pergo that make sense. But I would question the
judgement of someone who has a "high end home", telling you they would
have preferred to have used Pergo flooring. I've never seen a high
end home with Pergo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I know what you are talking about. The only reason I am looking at Pergo
is that my brother has a high-end home and he has the real Mc coy
wooden floors.

Accidents happen, and his refrigerator leaked. It was a mess, as he had
to hire someone to come in and sand and treat the wood floor. He said if
he had to do it over, he would go with a laminate floor.

If he'd had laminate, then he'd be replacing the floor. Also, the "real Mc
coy" is $3.79 a square foot at Lowe's, and $3 or less from the discount
places. How exactly is that "high-end"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Kate

Ahh but read the warnings about laminate getting wet.
I know someome who had to replace part of a floor when a dishwasher
leaked. Google is your friend. Have you tried it?

Some laminate is virtually impervious to water.

I took a strip and soaked it in a glass of tap water for a MONTH. Using a
micrometer, there was swelling of about 2% compared to the original, no
de-lamination, no detectable problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
LouB wrote:
Kate
Ahh but read the warnings about laminate getting wet.
I know someome who had to replace part of a floor when a dishwasher
leaked. Google is your friend. Have you tried it?

Some laminate is virtually impervious to water.

I took a strip and soaked it in a glass of tap water for a MONTH.
Using a micrometer, there was swelling of about 2% compared to the
original, no de-lamination, no detectable problem.

Curious. Brand?

Here ya go. I used the cheapest I could find - $0.78/sq ft.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat... ry;274600101

We also tried abusing the stuff: attacked it with a nail and wood rasp. No
damage. They should make bullet-proof vests out of this stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
LouB wrote:
Kate

Ahh but read the warnings about laminate getting wet.
I know someome who had to replace part of a floor when a dishwasher
leaked. Google is your friend. Have you tried it?

Some laminate is virtually impervious to water.

I took a strip and soaked it in a glass of tap water for a MONTH.
Using a micrometer, there was swelling of about 2% compared to the
original, no de-lamination, no detectable problem.

Might not be a valid test in my opinion. What *shows* is swelling at the
seams relative to the area away from the seams. You won't see that by
submerging an entire piece.

I have several pieces in the middle of my family room where the edges near
the seams have raised ever so slightly (never even had a spill there that
I'm aware of) and when the light catches that spot it looks like crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Brandt wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
LouB wrote:
Kate
Ahh but read the warnings about laminate getting wet.
I know someome who had to replace part of a floor when a dishwasher
leaked. Google is your friend. Have you tried it?

Some laminate is virtually impervious to water.

I took a strip and soaked it in a glass of tap water for a MONTH.
Using a micrometer, there was swelling of about 2% compared to the
original, no de-lamination, no detectable problem.

Might not be a valid test in my opinion. What *shows* is swelling at
the seams relative to the area away from the seams. You won't see
that by submerging an entire piece.

Well, it wasn't an entire plank - I used a hunk that had been trimmed away
for the test. And you're right: It may not have been a dispositive test. On
the other hand, had the strip swollen up toad with a urination problem, we'd
have reached a different probability.

I have several pieces in the middle of my family room where the edges
near the seams have raised ever so slightly (never even had a spill
there that I'm aware of) and when the light catches that spot it
looks like crap.

Yeah, and it's not like you could just sand it down...