Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PC antivirus software question

HeyBub wrote:
Chris wrote:
I didn't start it. Someone - it may have been you - began touting the
superiority of Linux when the original subject had nothing to do
with Ubuntu or some other incarnation of Linux. Many Linux users are
like that - proposing Linux as better than fish. "I use Windows."
(get Linux!). "I need an AV program for XP." (get Linux). "I have a
flat!" (get Linux). "Isn't it a shame about famine in Sudan?" (get
Linux). "I have giant festering, fungating boils all over my body.
My dog, too!" (get Linux).

Nonsense! You took a jocular suggestion (ever heard of emoticons?) as
an attack to the value of your MS stock. What a pathetic little
person!

I've heard of emoticons, but I've never used one. Emoticons are for
inarticulate ****ers.

Not if your "software" performs badly or not better than other
software that come with no invoice and no strangling user agreements.

Don't like me using Linux and other free software? Sue me.

I prefer you used Linux. As I said before, there is some validity to the
claim that Linux was developed to siphon off the malcontents into their own
little padded room so we normal folk wouldn't have to be bothered by them.
This scheme has not worked as well as hoped.

Well, now I feel sorry for you. My apologies if I have been too hard on
you, little man. Cheer up! You are the best and are always right! And
what a coherent and ironclad logic you show in your posts. AAAAmazing!
Good bye now! Go to mommy, dear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/15/2008 1:29 PM Kurt Ullman spake thus:

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

I've heard of emoticons, but I've never used one. Emoticons are for
inarticulate ****ers.

Generally they are *FOR* inarticulate ****ers. Those who can't pick
up on the subtlties and get bent out of shape thinking you are
whoofing on them when you are actually supporting them. I use them
because it is easier than explaining things later.

I'm with 'Bub here; smileys are for those with poor reading
comprehension skills and who lack critical thinking ability. Let 'em
just be perplexed.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have here another philosopher, or may be a shill?
Hard to tell: Let's just be perplexed about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:25:49 -0500, rose wrote:

"Dan Espen" wrote:

Yes. Linux installs have gotten easier and easier.
If you can install XP, you'll find installing Linux is even easier
(without all the reboots).

If you can't install XP, you can run Linux without even doing a
proper install. There are "live CDs". Just put the CD in the drive
and
reboot. You don't install anything it just runs Linux.
If you have a machine that can boot from USB there are versions that
run from a USB device.

How do you deal with Windows problems? Same technique works with
Linux.

For many people, it's not an either or type choice. Many people
run both. They set up their machines for dual boot. If you've got
to get something done and you can't figure out how to do it, boot into
the other OS. Many people claim they switch back and forth and
eventually
find they don't need Windows after a while. For some it goes the
other
way.

If you have any curiosity burn a live CD and see how far you get.
It won't hurt anything.

I think what surprises most people is the massive amount of
free software available. The "Add/Remove Programs" feature
really works. In Windows, all it's good for is removing
stuff. With Linux there are thousands of free applications to
install and have fun with.

Dan, are you saying that installing and working with Linux is do-able
for someone at the novice (not newbie) level?

This is a step by step of the installation of current Mandriva Linux. My
personal favorite distro. I used to dual boot but no longer find anything
that I would use Windows for.

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfec...8-spring-gnome

My wife still uses Windows only because she plays games online that are
only ported to Windows.

I hate Windows and am not fond of IE. I had to go back to IE after
upgrading Firefox screwed my computer up. I had been using it for years.
But every damn thing I have to install for windows eats up so much
resources. And I really don't know what I Need to install and what I can
skip. I also tried Thunderbird but wasn't crazy about it either. I use
OE.

Can I somehow install Linux over windows--I don't know what a dual boot
is. I will do a bit of research.

You can select the end of your hard drive or add a slave hard drive to
install Linux on and keep windows either way. If you choose this choice
defrag windows twice before installing Linux. Allow at least 10 Gb for
Linux just to check out it's operation.

rose

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 07:49:13 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

RLM wrote:

Basically the computer has to have the house fall on it to ruin it
but the software will work if I can salvage just the hard drive. I
don't use it as
a windows server so I don't need virus software because we both know
the true key is a unique password that protects /, and a proper
firewall. (c;\=

Isn't that right Dan?

Just keep on truckin', dude. I wish you well.

Ignore the fact that the most destructive virus in the history of computing
involved Unix (Linux) operating systems.

"Back in the day" when anyone that could operate the keyboard was the new
administrator like Windows has worked for years for most folks.
Is that what you're talking about?

If you had working knowledge of both current systems, I might listen.

Now all I can say is, I could teach it to you but I can't learn it for you.

I've used both systems and have both running on different boxes in the house.
Have a laptop that is still dual boot.

Wife uses Windows and maintains it well.
We have used Knoppix Linux to remove a bug though. It runs from a CD.

I'm doing great! Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:50:16 -0400, RLM wrote:

You can select the end of your hard drive or add a slave hard drive to
install Linux on and keep windows either way. If you choose this choice
defrag windows twice before installing Linux. Allow at least 10 Gb for
Linux just to check out it's operation.

I also prefer the second drive option. Makes it extremely easy for the
newbie to identify which drive is which. Specially when the second drive
is a 40gb while the primary is a 160.

My preference is PCLinuxOS. But like Mandriva it too uses a very simple
to use Control Center for configuring the computer. I always get remarks
from people who never thought they could have so much flexibility in how
their systems looked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:50:16 -0400, RLM wrote:

You can select the end of your hard drive or add a slave hard drive to
install Linux on and keep windows either way. If you choose this choice
defrag windows twice before installing Linux. Allow at least 10 Gb for
Linux just to check out it's operation.

I also prefer the second drive option. Makes it extremely easy for the
newbie to identify which drive is which. Specially when the second drive
is a 40gb while the primary is a 160.

My preference is PCLinuxOS. But like Mandriva it too uses a very simple
to use Control Center for configuring the computer. I always get remarks
from people who never thought they could have so much flexibility in how
their systems looked.

I always like those that trash Linux while in the same breath complain about
Virus, Adware, Malware, Blue Screen, and all the holes that come with
MicroCrap!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi there!

I think you guys should check out http://www.opswat.com/ there are 2 or 3 products that may be a match, I think that OESIS Framework at http://www.opswat.com/products/oesis-framework provides a single interface to many antivirus packages. Another option is I think Metascan at http://www.opswat.com/products/metascan which is more for ISV, I also found that many antivirus engines certified by OPSWAT at http://www.opswat.com/certified

I hope this helps.
Regards,

Brian
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi there!

I think you guys should check out
http://www.op

SPAM ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 15, 12:43*am, Red Green wrote:
wrote .
com:

Hi there!

spam snip

I hope this helps.
Regards,

Brian
I think you guys
I think that
Another option is I think

Hey Brian:

Who the **** are you that I should care what you think?

The bigger question is, WHY is someone responding to a post that is
over THREE yrs old??????

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 15, 10:04*am, Red Green wrote:
Ron wrote :

On Sep 15, 12:43 am, Red Green wrote:
wrote
innews:a231766b-4b9c-4fe8-89c6-d9386b51f

.
com:

Hi there!

spam snip

I hope this helps.
Regards,

Brian
I think you guys
I think that
Another option is I think

Hey Brian:

Who the **** are you that I should care what you think?

The bigger question is, WHY is someone responding to a post that is
over THREE yrs old??????

2014 already! How time flies.
Need to submit 401k papers.

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: PC antivirus software question
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:02:10 -0700 (PDT)

The OP that the idiot was responding to is from '08.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...n&dmode=source

avg antivirus 7.5 crack [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 26th 08 04:46 PM
AVG antivirus new edition [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 5th 08 11:24 AM
OT Antivirus software nospambob Woodworking 146 June 2nd 05 04:27 PM
AGV AntiVirus R. Wink Woodworking 24 January 6th 05 11:03 PM
AVG Antivirus R. Wink Metalworking 7 January 3rd 05 09:31 PM