Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Default Air Conditioner

I want my house to get cooler. The air conditioner I have puts out
air thats 60 degrees F or 15C at the floor register. My house never
gets colder than 75F or 24C. If I run the air conditioner all day
long it never gets colder. I have lots of windows in the house which I
have blinds on to stop the sunlight. Is there anything I can do to
have a colder house? My air conditioner is 3 years old, is there any
maintenance I need to do?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

k wrote:
I want my house to get cooler. The air conditioner I have puts out
air thats 60 degrees F or 15C at the floor register. My house never
gets colder than 75F or 24C. If I run the air conditioner all day
long it never gets colder. I have lots of windows in the house which I
have blinds on to stop the sunlight. Is there anything I can do to
have a colder house? My air conditioner is 3 years old, is there any
maintenance I need to do?

The unit is undersized for the heat load, apparently.

Check the filters are clean; sounds otherwise like in fine shape for the
unit itself.

The things you can do are insulate and fix air leaks, etc.

Many utility companies have services to evaluate and some still have
cost share programs as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 10:44*am, k wrote:
I want my house to get cooler. *The air conditioner I have puts out
air thats 60 degrees F or 15C at the floor register. *My house never
gets colder than 75F or 24C. *If I run the air conditioner all day
long it never gets colder. I have lots of windows in the house which I
have blinds on to stop the sunlight. *Is there anything I can do to
have a colder house? * My air conditioner is 3 years old, is there any
maintenance I need to do?

How hot is it outside?

- If it's 80, you might have an issue. If it's 115, maybe not.

What is your insulation status?

- You can cover the windows, but empty walls are going to make the AC
work really hard.

When was the last time you had the unit professionally checked?

- After three years, it might be worth a service call.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:44:47 -0700 (PDT), k
wrote:

I want my house to get cooler. The air conditioner I have puts out
air thats 60 degrees F or 15C at the floor register. My house never
gets colder than 75F or 24C. If I run the air conditioner all day
long it never gets colder. I have lots of windows in the house which I
have blinds on to stop the sunlight. Is there anything I can do to
have a colder house? My air conditioner is 3 years old, is there any
maintenance I need to do?

Did it ever work better?

Is it hot near your ceiling? What is above the ceiling? An attic
that is burning hot? Even though heat rises, a hot ceiling will still
make the floor below it hot, and maybe the floor below that one. You
may need a lot more insulation between a non-finished attic and the
rooms you live in. How much do you have now. A thermostatically
controlled fan in the roof does a lot of good for me, or in the gable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 7:44*am, k wrote:
I want my house to get cooler. *The air conditioner I have puts out
air thats 60 degrees F or 15C at the floor register. *My house never
gets colder than 75F or 24C. *If I run the air conditioner all day
long it never gets colder. I have lots of windows in the house which I
have blinds on to stop the sunlight. *Is there anything I can do to
have a colder house? * My air conditioner is 3 years old, is there any
maintenance I need to do?

75F seems about right, how much colder do you want it?

If it runs all day the humdity control must be pretty good.

What is that the thermostat setting? How hot outside?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I want my house to get cooler. .. I have lots of windows in the house
which I
have blinds on to stop the sunlight. Is there anything I can do to
have a colder house?

Consider hanging roll-down OUTDOOR blinds (bamboo or white plastic strips)
on the OUTSIDE of your sun facing windows to keep the heat out.
They re cheap..only $ 10-15 at Lowes
Interior blinds won't stop the heat, the sun has already come thru the glass
and heated the air inside the home.

These have made a great difference in the heat load in our home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:44:47 -0700, k wrote:

I want my house to get cooler. The air conditioner I have puts out air
thats 60 degrees F or 15C at the floor register. My house never gets
colder than 75F or 24C. If I run the air conditioner all day long it
never gets colder. I have lots of windows in the house which I have
blinds on to stop the sunlight. Is there anything I can do to have a
colder house? My air conditioner is 3 years old, is there any
maintenance I need to do?

This may not have any effect on your specific situation:

In my house it turned out to be return air to the central furnace A/C
unit. They called it air starved. Seems the heat exchanger for the AC
in the furnace is based on a volume of air passing over the cooling
coils. Not air pressure, but volume of air.

To get the volume of air, that meant the air returns through out the
house had to be unblocked (major furniture moving.) Plus a large air
return added to basement. The furnace blower motor was powerful enough,
but it still needed help with large air returns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in

I want my house to get cooler. .. I have lots of windows in the
house which I
have blinds on to stop the sunlight. Is there anything I can do to
have a colder house?

Consider hanging roll-down OUTDOOR blinds (bamboo or white plastic
strips) on the OUTSIDE of your sun facing windows to keep the heat
out. They re cheap..only $ 10-15 at Lowes
Interior blinds won't stop the heat, the sun has already come thru the
glass and heated the air inside the home.

These have made a great difference in the heat load in our home.

Been doing that for years with the rollups on the outside on house
windows that get sun beat. People thought it was weird seeing those
rollups on the outside. I'd explain exactly what you said above. I'd see
that ["Gee, if that doesn't make sense."] look on their face.

You can get them even cheaper at WalMart when they have them.

Just have to make sure you get them rolled up when you get those high
wind thunderstorms. I've lost a few but, as said, they're cheap and
expendable considering the payback.
Posted to alt.home.repair

To state the obvious. You either have too much heat coming in, or too little
heat removal. The others have given you good ideas. Look to
weatherstripping, window covers, attic fan.

The other thing to do, is to call an AC service company for a clean and
check. As others have suggested, air flow, etc. The other two which come to
mind are low freon, or needs cleaning. A good service company can fix both
of those.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"k" wrote in message
I want my house to get cooler. The air conditioner I have puts out
air thats 60 degrees F or 15C at the floor register. My house never
gets colder than 75F or 24C. If I run the air conditioner all day
long it never gets colder. I have lots of windows in the house which I
have blinds on to stop the sunlight. Is there anything I can do to
have a colder house? My air conditioner is 3 years old, is there any
maintenance I need to do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:51:21 -0500, dpb wrote:

k wrote:
I want my house to get cooler. The air conditioner I have puts out
air thats 60 degrees F or 15C at the floor register. My house never
gets colder than 75F or 24C. If I run the air conditioner all day
long it never gets colder. I have lots of windows in the house which I
have blinds on to stop the sunlight. Is there anything I can do to
have a colder house? My air conditioner is 3 years old, is there any
maintenance I need to do?

The unit is undersized for the heat load, apparently.

Check the filters are clean; sounds otherwise like in fine shape for the
unit itself.

The things you can do are insulate and fix air leaks, etc.

Many utility companies have services to evaluate and some still have
cost share programs as well.

60 degrees seems too high. Others have given good ideas, but it seems to me
that your AC is either over or under charged. It sounds like my unit and
the AC guy had to take out a few pounds of Freon (yes, Freon, it was that
old).

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Freon is a brand name for refrigerant. Like Sunnoco is a brand name for
gasoline. It may have been Isotron, Genetron, Forane, or some other brand.
I'm not even sure if the Freon brand is still available.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
Freon (yes, Freon, it was that
old).

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:41:45 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Freon is a brand name for refrigerant. Like Sunnoco is a brand name for
gasoline. It may have been Isotron, Genetron, Forane, or some other brand.
I'm not even sure if the Freon brand is still available.

okay, R-22 mr moron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for demonstraing your maturity/ lack of.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:41:45 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Freon is a brand name for refrigerant. Like Sunnoco is a brand name for
gasoline. It may have been Isotron, Genetron, Forane, or some other brand.
I'm not even sure if the Freon brand is still available.

okay, R-22 mr moron

air conditioner [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 29th 07 08:45 PM
air conditioner neg Home Repair 2 January 7th 07 10:36 PM
Air Conditioner fan Walter Home Repair 1 September 25th 06 11:05 PM
Air Conditioner Samuel Home Repair 14 May 13th 06 12:06 AM
110 vs 220 VAC air conditioner HvacTech2 Home Repair 64 July 17th 04 06:36 PM