Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's the stuff the City government sprays to kill mosquitos?

Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a truck
to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day, there're less
mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any store? Some
parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they treated
the grass and tress with some magical stuff too.

Yong Huang
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Yong Huang wrote:
to spray ...
mosquitos. What is that ...

Probably Malathion or a mixture ...

It is a consumer-available insecticide, yes...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:52:27 -0700 (PDT), Yong Huang
wrote:

Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a truck
to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day, there're less

Is this a fogger, that sprays into the air rather than spraying the
ground?

mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any store? Some
parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they treated
the grass and tress with some magical stuff too.

There are products they use in Maryland, especially on Chincoteague,
right in the campground where we were sleeping, that they insist are
very safe, safer than older products, and afaik, they are.

Why not call the city and ask what they use? They'll almost surely
tell you, because they're spraying your neigbhborhood. If somehow
not, look at the trucks to get the department name, or ask the driver
where he parks, and go down there and ask around until you find out.
Maybe you'll see the drums and you can write down what is in them.

The driver might know what he uses also.

Yong Huang

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yong Huang posted for all of us...

Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a truck
to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day, there're less
mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any store? Some
parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they treated
the grass and tress with some magical stuff too.

Yong Huang

It's DDT - we used to play in the fog when I was a kid. Maybe that's why I'm
the way that I am? NAH
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
:

Yong Huang posted for all of us...

Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a
truck to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day, there're
less mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any store?
Some parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they
treated the grass and tress with some magical stuff too.

Yong Huang

It's DDT - we used to play in the fog when I was a kid. Maybe that's
why I'm the way that I am? NAH

That's it!!! That's the **** she used to wear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
:

Yong Huang posted for all of us...

Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a
truck to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day, there're
less mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any store?
Some parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they
treated the grass and tress with some magical stuff too.

Yong Huang

It's DDT - we used to play in the fog when I was a kid. Maybe that's
why I'm the way that I am? NAH

That's it!!! That's the **** she used to wear.

Well, so what? The mosquitos left her alone, didn't they?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yong Huang posted for all of us...

Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a truck
to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day, there're less
mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any store? Some
parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they treated
the grass and tress with some magical stuff too.

Yong Huang

Probably malathion
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health...mosquitoes.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:
Yong Huang posted for all of us...

Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a
truck to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day,
there're
less mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any
store?
Some parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they
treated the grass and tress with some magical stuff too.

Yong Huang

It's DDT - we used to play in the fog when I was a kid. Maybe
that's
why I'm the way that I am? NAH

One thing that can be said with great confidence is that it is _not_
DDT. DDT was banned in the US more than 30 years ago and even in the
Third World it's generally only legal for spraying the inside of
houses in areas that are prone to malaria.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a truck
to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day, there're less
mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any store? Some
parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they treated
the grass and tress with some magical stuff too.

Yong Huang

You can buy your own fogger that works with a small propane tank (the
same kind of propane you use for a plumbing tourch). I have one here
in Maryland and it works great. To feel safer, I use a mask and
gloves and shower right afterwards. I think I bought mine at a local
farm supply store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 8:52 pm, Yong Huang wrote:
Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a truck
to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day, there're less
mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any store? Some
parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they treated
the grass and trees with some magical stuff too.

Yong Huang

Thanks everybody. I got in touch with the city health department. The
lady told me they mainly use malathion and resmethrin, as some of you
said. I'll go to Home Depot and buy some.

Yong Huang
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Red Green wrote:

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
:

Yong Huang posted for all of us...

Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a
truck to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day,
there're less mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from
any store? Some parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I
think they treated the grass and tress with some magical stuff
too.

Yong Huang

It's DDT - we used to play in the fog when I was a kid. Maybe
that's why I'm the way that I am? NAH

That's it!!! That's the **** she used to wear.

Well, so what? The mosquitos left her alone, didn't they?

Yea but I thought it was because blood-suckers didn't prey on other
blood-suckers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paulaner posted for all of us...

wrote:

Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a truck
to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day, there're less
mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any store? Some
parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they treated
the grass and tress with some magical stuff too.

Yong Huang

You can buy your own fogger that works with a small propane tank (the
same kind of propane you use for a plumbing tourch). I have one here
in Maryland and it works great. To feel safer, I use a mask and
gloves and shower right afterwards. I think I bought mine at a local
farm supply store.

You should have gotten some horse suppositories while you were there!
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yong Huang wrote:
Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a truck
to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day, there're less
mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any store? Some
parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they treated
the grass and tress with some magical stuff too.

Yong Huang

Problem is - as you have seen - they have to KEEP spraying it.

If you use DDT (hard to get, but possible), it's with you forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:
Here in Houston sometimes around midnight, the City dispatches a
truck to spray some chemical in neighborhood. The next day,
there're
less mosquitos. What is that chemical? Can we buy it from any
store?
Some parks in the city have absolutely no mosquitos. I think they
treated the grass and tress with some magical stuff too.

Yong Huang

Problem is - as you have seen - they have to KEEP spraying it.

If you use DDT (hard to get, but possible), it's with you forever.

Would be nice if it really was--it persists in the environment but it
doesn't stay where you need it to be so you have to keep spraying DDT
too.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)