No Spam

Default Chasing Mosquitos out of the garage (shop)

Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into
the house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar
products. I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless
absolutely necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

Duane Bozarth

No Spam wrote:

Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into
the house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar
products. I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless
absolutely necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Well, in this case you have one of three options--

1) install screens or equivalent on all openings into the shop area,
2) spray the area well
3) use DEET or an equivalent.

W/ the prevalence of West Nile, I'd strongly recommend 1) or 3) ...
Andy

The propane-powered 'Mosquito magnet' works well, though it is
expensive... But I think it's the single best way to "kick mosquito
butt" without spraying chemicals on your skin. Or build a bat house -
if you can get some bats to move in, it's an excellent, safe way to
make a significant dent in your mosquito population. Of course, if you
have buckets or tires or anything else full of water that could be
emptied, that would reduce mosquito breeding area and eventually sort
of kick their butt. Deet is probably safer than West Nile or EEE, but
at high concentrations it does disolve some kinds of plastic, so be
sure to watch that.
You could try some of the stuff you spray on your clothes (containing
permethrin), which is supposed to last 6 weeks or so. I used some for
hiking, and it worked pretty well - not perfect, but much better than
nothing. It is plant-based and 'natural', but that doesn't necessarily
make it healthy - cyanide and hemlock are both made in plants also. As
long as you don't spray it on yourself, though, it should be fine on
your clothes.
Good luck,
Andy

David

No Spam wrote:

Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into
the house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar
products. I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless
absolutely necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

With West Nile disease a fact of life, I think I'd get over my distaste
of applying a repellant.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/west...entUpdates.htm

Dave
brianlanning

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Just do what I did: grow thicker skin. :-D I'm not sure if I just
have thick skin, or if it's my weird skin condition, but mosquitos just
don't seem to like me. When I was a teenager, I used to get bitten all
the time. Now, I can go for a walk on a humid summer evening and get
maybe only one or two bites, which are minor and don't seem to itch.
If my wife or kids are with me, they'll get dozens without a repellant
and I won't get any at all. Maybe it's the mosquitos here in illinois.
The ones in florida seem to be more aggressive. But even they prefer
my wife to me.

brian

wildbill

Seems like I remember reading that the American Indians would rub
rancid bear fat on themselves. Also seem to remember them using garlic
and/or wild-onions.

Personally, I prefer "Cutter's" over OFF and the bear fat.

Bill W

Leon

"No Spam" wrote in message
Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into the
house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar products.
I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless absolutely
necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

The easiest step is to wear LIGHT colored clothing. Mosquito's are
attracted to dark clothing.

no(SPAM)vasys

Leon wrote:
"No Spam" wrote in message

snip

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

The easiest step is to wear LIGHT colored clothing. Mosquito's are
attracted to dark clothing.

Actually they home in on carbon dioxide.

The original poster can try Avon's "Skin-So-Soft" hand cream. It works
well as a repellent. See:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogl e+Search

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
D Steck

If you really want something that works - a buddy of mine sells this system.
I've been to his house and in the pool - he has no mosquito's.

www.mosquitomister.com

"No Spam" wrote in message
Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into the
house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar products.
I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless absolutely
necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

B a r r y

No Spam wrote:

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Put up some bat houses.

Wood Butcher

In rural Mexico when sleeping they have a small fan blowing on
them. It seems the skeeters can't land on you if there is a breeze
blowing on you.

If you are outside you may need a bunch of fans.
In the shop 1 or 2 ought to do it.

Art

"No Spam" wrote in message
Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into
the house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar
products. I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless
absolutely necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
No Spam wrote:

Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into
the house.

From what I understand (and in my experience) mosquitos don't fly when
it's windy. Or they do but they're blown away. Either way it's a good
thing.

Run a fan to move the air around the space. Works for me in the shop and
back yard plus in the bedroom when that incessant whine around your ear
just as you're falling asleep gets you to slapping yourself in the dark.
(A perfect straight line for a SWMBO joke here but I just don't have the
energy at the moment. Anyone?)
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Bob N

Try Bounce Fabric softener sheets. Works like a charm. Rub exposed skin
with one or just simply pin to your clothes or place in pocket leaving it
hanging out like a hanky. Can even hang a few around the area you are in.
Efficient and very cost effective.

Try it... you will be most surprised.

"No Spam" wrote in message
Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into
the house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar
products. I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless
absolutely necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

Leon

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message

Actually they home in on carbon dioxide.

The original poster can try Avon's "Skin-So-Soft" hand cream. It works
well as a repellent. See:

Yeah but I can confirm that if I am outside, mosquito's seldom bother me but
let my wife step out and she gets attacked setting right next to me.
And yes the Avon products work well for her.

Joseph Crowe

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, No Spam wrote:

Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into the
house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar products. I
just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless absolutely necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

If you had access to DDT, a wrongly banned product, you could
eliminate the mosquito problem with no negative side effects. You might
consider some insect repellent. There are some other interesting
sounds intrigueing. Good question. By the way, where are you located?

Thanks!

--
Joseph Crowe

Leon

"Bob N" wrote in message
Try Bounce Fabric softener sheets. Works like a charm. Rub exposed skin
with one or just simply pin to your clothes or place in pocket leaving it
hanging out like a hanky. Can even hang a few around the area you are in.
Efficient and very cost effective.

Try it... you will be most surprised.

Is that legal in California? :~)

David

Leon wrote:
"Bob N" wrote in message

Try Bounce Fabric softener sheets. Works like a charm. Rub exposed skin
with one or just simply pin to your clothes or place in pocket leaving it
hanging out like a hanky. Can even hang a few around the area you are in.
Efficient and very cost effective.

Try it... you will be most surprised.

Is that legal in California? :~)

Probably not. there's a rumor going around that breathing will be
banned next...

Dave
Duane Bozarth

Leon wrote:

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message

Actually they home in on carbon dioxide.

The original poster can try Avon's "Skin-So-Soft" hand cream. It works
well as a repellent. See:

Yeah but I can confirm that if I am outside, mosquito's seldom bother me but
let my wife step out and she gets attacked setting right next to me.
And yes the Avon products work well for her.

The problem is w/ West Nile it only takes the one..."Toughing it out"
ain't all it used to be.
BobS

I haven't read all the posts you received on this but one trick you may want
to try is "Bounce" - the sheets that you place in your dryer. When I was
working out west I used to spend the weekends hiking the Sawtooth mountains
and there were plenty of mosquitoes and other free-loaders that would take a
bit when they could.

We would wipe any exposed skin with one of those sheets and then wrap one
around each ankle under the sock. Worked like a charm and didn't need any
messy, oily sprays.

Now other products may be the same but I tried a local "house-brand" and it
did not work. I've heard others say the same thing so whatever is in Bounce
is what keeps the critters away.

Bob S.

"No Spam" wrote in message
Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into the
house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar products.
I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless absolutely
necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

Limey Lurker

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

With some very pointy shoes?

John DeBoo

No Spam wrote:
Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into
the house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar
products. I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless
absolutely necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

Heh, God created Mosquito's to make Flies look better!

Upscale

"Steve DeMars" wrote in message
AVON Skin So Soft . . . safe and it works . . . I live in Louisiana, alot

of
fisherman here use it on the bayous . . .

No mosquitoes and soft skin too. Is that why Louisiana men attract women so
easily.

Sam

No Spam wrote:
Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into
the house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar
products. I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless
absolutely necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

Socks, shoes, pants.

David

Sam wrote:

No Spam wrote:

Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into
the house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar
products. I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless
absolutely necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

Socks, shoes, pants.

Unless he dons a Hazmat suit, the *******s will just go for his face,
neck, arms, whatever he left exposed. If there any worse mosquitos than
the ones I dealt with in MO, lord help the afflicted.

Dave

Upscale

"David" wrote in message
Unless he dons a Hazmat suit, the *******s will just go for his face,
neck, arms, whatever he left exposed. If there any worse mosquitos than
the ones I dealt with in MO, lord help the afflicted.

We Canadians have a sure cure for your mosquitoes problem. Spend a few weeks
in our Northern forests where horseflies as big as sparrows go after you and
then you'll laugh the next time a swarm of mosquitoes eye your exposed skin.

no(SPAM)vasys

Upscale wrote:
"Steve DeMars" wrote in message

AVON Skin So Soft . . . safe and it works . . . I live in Louisiana, alot

of

fisherman here use it on the bayous . . .

No mosquitoes and soft skin too. Is that why Louisiana men attract women so
easily.

No, that's why fishermen attract so many Louisianians.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Robatoy

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"Steve DeMars" wrote in message
AVON Skin So Soft . . . safe and it works . . . I live in Louisiana, alot

of
fisherman here use it on the bayous . . .

No mosquitoes and soft skin too. Is that why Louisiana men attract women so
easily.

AVON Skin So Soft has yet another use. It cleans old (motorcycle
drive-chain) grease off your hands better than some of the 'speciality'
cleaners such as Swarfega and some of those citrus cleaners.

From Shovel Head to pecker head in one motion of a lotion. A quick rinse
and your good to go to macramee class. Yessirreee, from pot-belly to
potpourri.... (WTF *is* 'pourri'??.... never mind..*you* DAGS it...)

(note: my spell checker refuses to acknowledge the existence of both
'pecker' and 'macramee')

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

No Spam wrote:
Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into
the house.

You need to find where the little *******s are hiding. We've had a lot of rain
the last couple of months and the mosquitoes can be fierce. I bought a Mosquito
Magnet and didn't catch a single mosquito with it. What I've had excellent luck
with is Cutter's... not the repellent... the stuff you hook up to a garden hose
and spray the bushes with. Go out and spray all the plants and under the decks,
etc. Mosquitoes like to hang out in low areas. Spray the **** out of them. Do
it again a few days after it rains or when you start to notice them again. When
you've thinned the herd around your house, you should find the garage habitable
again.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Edwin Pawlowski

"No Spam" wrote in message
Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into the
house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar products.
I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless absolutely
necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

I've had good luck burning one of the "Off" brand lanterns with repellant.
Of course you have to keep in mind there is now an open flame in the shop.
I can put it right by the door and it makes a good barrier.

jo4hn

No Spam wrote:

Last night, all the mosquitos biting at my ankles chased me back into
the house.

Any suggestions on how to repel them other than Off! or similar
products. I just don't like putting chemicals on my skin unless
absolutely necessary.

How can I kick some mosquito butt?

Thanks!

Hey! I LIKE mosquitos.
NeedleDick (the bug fuc*er)

[Always a high class guy...]
TWS

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 01:15:49 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

You need to find where the little *******s are hiding. We've had a lot of rain
the last couple of months and the mosquitoes can be fierce. I bought a Mosquito
Magnet and didn't catch a single mosquito with it. What I've had excellent luck
with is Cutter's... not the repellent... the stuff you hook up to a garden hose
and spray the bushes with. Go out and spray all the plants and under the decks,
etc. Mosquitoes like to hang out in low areas. Spray the **** out of them. Do
it again a few days after it rains or when you start to notice them again. When
you've thinned the herd around your house, you should find the garage habitable
again.

Mortimer, I think you are in the RTP area also? I live in Chapel Hill
and like you, I had no luck with the Mosquito Magnet - tried it for
about nine months and I think I trapped about 20 mosquitoes. Our
local breed just isn't interested. Fortunately the unit had a one
year warranty and I got my money back on it.

I have tried the Cutter's and it seemed to work but also seemed
expensive (about 1/2 bottle per application plus the time to do it).
It was effective but only for a few days. Maybe I should have done
multiple passes to get the population down to a manageable level. I
have looked into the misters that another poster had mentioned - it
uses the same chemical (Pyrethrum) as the Cutter's. If you recommend
the Cutter's maybe I'll try that approach again, just more thoroughly
this time...

TWS
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

TWS wrote:
Mortimer, I think you are in the RTP area also? I live in Chapel Hill
and like you, I had no luck with the Mosquito Magnet - tried it for
about nine months and I think I trapped about 20 mosquitoes. Our
local breed just isn't interested. Fortunately the unit had a one
year warranty and I got my money back on it.

Through total disgust, I just ate the money on mine. I guess I'll use it for
target practice. And you're not far off: I'm in Charlotte.

I have tried the Cutter's and it seemed to work but also seemed
expensive (about 1/2 bottle per application plus the time to do it).
It was effective but only for a few days. Maybe I should have done
multiple passes to get the population down to a manageable level. I
have looked into the misters that another poster had mentioned - it
uses the same chemical (Pyrethrum) as the Cutter's. If you recommend
the Cutter's maybe I'll try that approach again, just more thoroughly
this time...

Cutter's isn't perfect but it sure gets me some relief at least until the next
series of heavy rains. Then the little beggars regenerate. But every time I
spray, there is a remarkable reduction in their numbers. Just remember to hit
the low areas the heaviest.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Duane Bozarth

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

... I bought a Mosquito Magnet and didn't catch a single mosquito with it. ...

Wasn't there a CDC or other study that pretty much debunked the whole
concept??

B a r r y

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

... I bought a Mosquito Magnet and didn't catch a single mosquito with it. ...

Wasn't there a CDC or other study that pretty much debunked the whole
concept??

My neighbor has one, and it's pretty useless.

I think bats are quite a bit more effective.

vdubbs

B a r r y wrote:
Duane Bozarth wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

... I bought a Mosquito Magnet and didn't catch a single mosquito with it. ...

Wasn't there a CDC or other study that pretty much debunked the whole
concept??

My neighbor has one, and it's pretty useless.

I think bats are quite a bit more effective.

Yep, and we woodworkers can build them a great house as well!

Sounds like a new project in the works!!

Sam

B a r r y wrote:
I think bats are quite a bit more effective.

Those are serious misquitoes when you have to use a bat on them. Sam

Dave Hinz

On 26 Aug 2005 13:33:46 -0700, Sam wrote:

B a r r y wrote:
I think bats are quite a bit more effective.

Those are serious misquitoes when you have to use a bat on them. Sam

Never been to Wisconsin, have you Sam...
Sam

B a r r y wrote:
I think bats are quite a bit more effective.

Those are serious misquitoes when you have to use a bat on them. Sam

Never been to Wisconsin, have you Sam...

Yes. I lived outside Nelson, Wis. on the edge of the Nelson Bottoms,
where the Chippewa River joins the Mississippi. Misquitoes 24 hrs. a
day from May to October. At night the woods actually hummed. We bought
the large cans of OFF by the case, you couldn't go outside without it.
Sam
( We found a tennis racket worked good, as you could get 2 or 3 at a
time. Usually it just stunned them and then you had to run them over
with the car or finish them off with an axe. )