Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Verizon FIOS a new failure....

Well we havent had verizon fios for 2 years, for voice and DSL, I
havent taken FIOS tv.

First a noisey router in their central office created bad noise on
some incoming calls, only took 6 weeks to get their network division
to finally fix it, after calling every day for a month and some heated
arguments with CSRs who claimed all was fine, must be my inside wiring
after verizon techs on site here reproduced the problem and noted in
the account it was NOT my inside wiring.

Today a new problem, whats that alarm tone? beeps very few minutes,
kinda like a smoke alarm

turns out to be the DSL box in the basement, has red battery failure
light up

called verizon obviously rebooting my computer, and all the rest the
automated system tries to make me try isnt going to fix this one.

entered my phone number like 4 times, finally got a rep who is sending
out a new battery if they arent on strike tomorrow

but he wonders if there was a power surge? sounded like he expects the
battery isnt going to fix it, and frankly i am too busy to wait around
for a tech. although all my experiences with them have proved to be
nice. the office people have a sucky attitude.

I asked how to turn off the alarm, sadly the only way to do that is
power everything off, shutting off my phone entirely

geez why didnt they put a alarm silence button somewhere? the noise is
annoying........

and if they go on strike it will be there forever..........

next stop see if I can get the battery pack apart, and replace the
cells, its really annoying

My old DSL worked fine sorry I EVER heard of FIOS, keep your copper
its more reliable
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 2:41�pm, " wrote:
[...]

typical rep had no idea of what he is doing, theres a alarm silence
button. If they go on strike I will go try and buy a battery, it looks
like a typical UPS battery
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Aug 10, 2:41�pm, " wrote:
[...]

But... according to our government and regulatory agencies, BIGGER IS
BETTER! Yup!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 10, 2:41?pm, " wrote:
[...]

Where DOES one buy batteries like that, in the civilian world? I have 2
ammo-box-sized UPS boxes sitting on the floor with batteries so flat,
the box won't even light up. (Worked when I bought them at a garage
sale, but when I got around to installing them 9-10 months later, nada.
Not even sure how to get the boxes open. Having nothing to lose, I
thought I would throw one pack on a trickle charger (outside in an
acid-proof pan, of course), and see if maybe I could pull a Lazarus on them.

Don't really wanna pay shipping to mail order batteries- that gets real
close to what I can buy new UPS boxes for at Sam's.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
news
wrote:
On Aug 10, 2:41?pm, " wrote:
[...]

Try this link. They have local dealers and warehouses nationwide. If the
batteries are not in stock they can usually get them in a day or two.
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/e...er_locator.asp It would be
best if you had the battery's original part number and specifications
(Volts, AH, dimensions).

Also you can try local electrical supply companies. Some of them are
battery distributors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 7:48�pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

news

batteries are not in stock they can usually get them in a day or two.http://www.interstatebatteries.com/e...cator.asp�It would be
best if you had the battery's original part number and specifications
(Volts, AH, dimensions).

Also you can try local electrical supply companies. �Some of them are
battery distributors.- Hide quoted text -

I wonder if I could get a much larger battery put it on a shelf and
use it instead of the original sized one?

FIOS MUST HAVE POWER, and the battery atr best is good for less than a
day.......

power outage with dead battery equals no phone service at all
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was a Verizon FiOS Network Technician up to 2 months ago when I left
the company. I was the guy who would fix network related problems or
the one who CSAs would pass along a trouble ticket to when they
couldn't fix your problem with the tools they had at their disposal.
They really don't have much to work with and are on a 12.5 minute call
average time limit. Unfortunately they will do whatever necessary to
get the customer off the phone in order to maintain their call times,
otherwise it affects their evaluations. That is the nature of the
beast at Verizon call centers and is one reason I didn't want to be
there anymore.

The FiOS TV & Internet service is truly superior to what the
competitors offer at this time. The unlimited bandwidth available to
the customer's house allows Internet speeds up to 50M up and down at
this time and easily can be upgraded soon. Several markets are
offering those speeds currently. The TV service has more HD channels
than DirectTV or will soon. The telephone service is the one weak spot
and that is when comparing to traditional copper lines that go back to
the Central Office. Even cable companies have batteries around the
neighborhood to provide backup power to your cable phone service, I
experienced this problem when we had a hurricane 5 years ago and lost
everything.

The FiOS service is passive and broadcast all the way to the house and
the Optical Network Terminal attached to your house is a little
computer that must be powered up to separate the three services from
the optical signal coming to you. When a power loss occurs the backup
battery is supposed to provide up to 8 hours of TELEPHONE backup time.
The TV and Internet service shut themselves off to save power for your
phone to operate in emergencies. It doesn't mean you can talk on it
for that period of time, just be able to send/receive calls. The
battery is a standard one you can buy at Radio Shack that is used for
RC cars I believe.

Verizon is replacing all copper lines with optical over the coming
years. If there is FiOS in your area you will be hard-pressed to order
copper phone service through them. It can be done but there are
special circumstances. The maintenance costs of the deteriorating
copper lines and batteries at the Central Office is tremendous and that
is what has driven the change to fiber.

Although I have Verizon Wireless phone service because of coverage and
the IN NETWORK service I am not sure I would get FiOS for myself. This
not because of the technology or reliability but because of the
corporate culture that I experienced. Passing the buck and
maltreatment of employees, not to mention how customers get treated
because of internal processes makes Verizon one company I want to
avoid. Keep in mind though I worked in a place where all I saw were
customer problems, and they were the worst problems. Many people are
perfectly satisfied and have never experienced anything to complain
about.

I guess my point is FiOS is here to stay. It is in the growing stage
at this point and technical problems will be ironed out. The biggest
drawback to FiOS is the juggernaut of Verizon's culture and antiquated
internal systems that make efficiency a dirty word.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bobmct wrote:
wrote:

On Aug 10, 2:41�pm, " wrote:

[...]

Bigger IS better. Their PACs write bigger checks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

two.http://www.interstatebatteries.com/e...locator.asp?It would
be
best if you had the battery's original part number and specifications
(Volts, AH, dimensions).

Also you can try local electrical supply companies. ?Some of them are
battery distributors.- Hide quoted text -

I wonder if I could get a much larger battery put it on a shelf and
use it instead of the original sized one?

FIOS MUST HAVE POWER, and the battery atr best is good for less than a
day.......

power outage with dead battery equals no phone service at all

Why not just by a UPS and then plug the ONT into that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman posted for all of us...

The biggest
drawback to FiOS is the juggernaut of Verizon's culture and antiquated
internal systems that make efficiency a dirty word

Having experienced Verizons "customer service" as a user in a commercial
setting and as having talked to other Verizon employees I must agree with this.
They are bringing their culture of incompetence from copper to fiber. I look at
it as cable = phone = incompetence. If they were not challenged by the cable
co's to provide services they would still be beating the copper wagon to death.
Cable had a better copper solution and they were using fiber for other purposes
so they switched gears. Personally I may switch to Fios for access/TV but I
will be the last copper customer on my local switch. I suspect that will be
long after I'm dead because there are older people that still have the old
black rotary phones.
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 9:19�am, Boden wrote:
bobmct wrote:
wrote:

On Aug 10, 2:41 pm, " wrote:

[...]

Bigger IS better. Their PACs write bigger checks.- Hide quoted text -

the ONTs power supply has the intergral built in UPS and I was told
dont daisy chain with another UPS.

its wednesday so far the replacement battery hasnt arrived. the alarm
silence button must reset about each 24 hours.

If no battery shows today a supervisor will get a earful of
unpleastaness.

Verizons CSR FIOS support sucks.

they kinda MAKE you convert to all fibre and its a one way conversion:
(

10 buck discount for all phones fibre and now a additional 10 buck
penalty if you dont convert.

so FIOS anything without phone is a extra 20 bucks a month. thats hat
friends said when they moved, so they got cable since they wanted to
keep a cpper phone line
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 8:34�am, "badgolferman"
the ONTs power supply has the intergral built in UPS and I was told
dont daisy chain with another UPS.

I don't believe this is true. �You have a power cord coming out and
going to the wall receptacle. �It is a powered unit with a BBU (battery
backup unit) inside. �There is no UPS within the ONT. �You were either
lied to or misunderstood.

The battery back is in the power supply for the ONT......

I just called no battery ordered.....

Esclated call and the rep hung up on me

Verizons its the network shoud say we have sucky service!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 2:18�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:

the ONTs power supply has the intergral built in UPS and I was told
dont daisy chain with another UPS.

Hook up a regular UPS. If you keep it a secret, nobody, including the unit
being powered, will ever know.

tech who installed system said a second UPS would damage ONT power
supply , they couldnt be daisy chained.

no mention of a $$ of battery was mentioned, heck I would of saved a
lot of time and hassle and just bought one at batteries plus 10
minutes away

I was upset but used no profanity, and wasnt screaming or anything
like that.

my problem is having ZERO FAITH in verizon. my business dpends on my
phone.

and given all this my phone isnt dependable and when it breaks no
one cares
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:55:45 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

As a consumer you have all the power to make a statement. Take your
money elsewhere, they'll notice.

lol!

I knew a guy that disputed his water bill and the company turned off
his water. He went for some period of time without a toilet.

I never found out if he _brought them to their knees_ :-/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 2:55�pm, "badgolferman"
my problem is having ZERO FAITH in verizon. my business dpends on my
phone.

and given all this my phone isnt dependable and when it breaks no
one cares

As a consumer you have all the power to make a statement. �Take your
money elsewhere, they'll notice.

verizon suckers you in with contracts. wierdly a battery arrived late
today, wonder if another one will show up tomorrow

theres going to be a BAD time if they try to charge me, cost was never
mentioned, and at the time of install I was told the battery would be
good for many years.

If I add another UPS ahead of theirs whats the worst that can happen?

Who cares if i damage their box? they could care less about the
customer.

Heck I am SO fired up I would stand on a street cxorner on weekends
with a sign VERIZON FIOS SUCKS!

That would likely get media attention and hurt their salers efforts.