Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DSL problem

Trying to troubleshoot what I thought was a basic problem. A DSL
modem installed in a construction trailer not working. There is a 6
pair outdoor phone cable feeding the trailer from the main building. 5
phones work perfectly fine in the trailer. For some reason I can't get
the DSL "happy" light to light up on the modem in the trailer. I
tested the modem inside the main building just before it leaves the
building and it worked fine. I swapped pairs on the outdoor cable, but
no help.
I know distance is not an issue because I tested that too. I "looped"
back the DSL line back down to where it comes in main telephone room
( basically doubling the distance) and it works fine. So I'm thinking
this is more of an inteference issue. Any ideas where to start? The
trailer is next to an MRI facility, not sure if that matters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
no help.
I know distance is not an issue because I tested that too. I "looped"
back the DSL line back down to where it comes in main telephone room
( basically doubling the distance) and it works fine. So I'm thinking
this is more of an inteference issue. Any ideas where to start? The
trailer is next to an MRI facility, not sure if that matters.- Hide quoted text -

might be a main filter in the main building.......

thats my guess
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
no help.
I know distance is not an issue because I tested that too. I "looped"
back the DSL line back down to where it comes in main telephone room
( basically doubling the distance) and it works fine. So I'm thinking
this is more of an inteference issue. Any ideas where to start? The
trailer is next to an MRI facility, not sure if that matters.- Hide quoted text -

might be a main filter in the main building.......

thats my guess

No this is a straight foward dedicated DSL modem, no phone lines.
There is no filter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
no help.
I know distance is not an issue because I tested that too. I "looped"
back the DSL line back down to where it comes in main telephone room
( basically doubling the distance) and it works fine. So I'm thinking
this is more of an inteference issue. Any ideas where to start? The
trailer is next to an MRI facility, not sure if that matters.- Hide quoted text -

might be a main filter in the main building.......

thats my guess

No this is a straight foward dedicated DSL modem, no phone lines.
There is no filter.- Hide quoted text -

the modem plugs into a phone line.

connect a phone at the construction trailer, do you get a dial tone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
no help.
I know distance is not an issue because I tested that too. I "looped"
back the DSL line back down to where it comes in main telephone room
( basically doubling the distance) and it works fine. So I'm thinking
this is more of an inteference issue. Any ideas where to start? The
trailer is next to an MRI facility, not sure if that matters.- Hide quoted text -
might be a main filter in the main building.......
thats my guess
No this is a straight foward dedicated DSL modem, no phone lines.
There is no filter.- Hide quoted text -

the modem plugs into a phone line.

connect a phone at the construction trailer, do you get a dial tone?

they've got dsl now without phone line. *i think that's what he has.
works at the demarc and doesn't work at the trailor. *prob got the wrong
pair.- Hide quoted text -

This is a single pair modem. As I said it works right before it leaves
the building. I tried all 6 pairs going to the trailer ( 5 phones
work out there now, and I confirmed all pairs are good).
I googled this topic and they say it might be something electrical
interfering. One site suggested shutting off electrical breakers
except the outlet powering the modem and go from there. It could be a
reversed polarity outlet. I'm really stumped. The trailer is only 100
feet away from the main building.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
Trying to troubleshoot what I thought was a basic problem. A DSL
modem installed in a construction trailer not working. There is a 6
pair outdoor phone cable feeding the trailer from the main building. 5
phones work perfectly fine in the trailer. For some reason I can't get
the DSL "happy" light to light up on the modem in the trailer. I
tested the modem inside the main building just before it leaves the
building and it worked fine. I swapped pairs on the outdoor cable, but
no help.
I know distance is not an issue because I tested that too. I "looped"
back the DSL line back down to where it comes in main telephone room
( basically doubling the distance) and it works fine. So I'm thinking
this is more of an inteference issue. Any ideas where to start? The
trailer is next to an MRI facility, not sure if that matters.

What is distance from main bldg to trailer ?? Could you leave
modem in main bldg and extend the Ethernet cable to the trailer ??

or wireless WiFi ??

Not the best, but could be workarounds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
[...]

I think you are on the right trail with interference idea. Bringing it
back in on the other pair and having it work fine means the cable is
okay. (The cable twist cuts down the interference.) Is there a good
ground connection on the power out in the trailer? Can you string a
couple extension cords from the building during off hours and try
different power? Could be the MRI unit- those throw off EM and RF like
mad. Ever seen how funny the video looks when a TV station tries to roll
tape in the room when it is running? Just for giggles, I'd try a long
extension cord and a long cat5 cable, and see if the modem and computer
work in the cab of your truck as far as you can get from the MRI building.

You could always line the trailer with expanded mesh or even chicken
wire, and make it into a Faraday cage... :^/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
[...]

Uhh, it is CAT5 or better wire, right?
Replace one at the 50' point & see if it'll work there. I'm betting on
something wrong with the wires. REgular phone cable will never work
over 100'.

You said the modem was in the building and you're running 6 pairs 100'?
Why? Better to have the modem in the trailer. Assuming you really mean
"modem". What is your "modem"? Why do you think 100' isn't too far
away? What kind if wire is used to/from the modem in/out? Are you using
the shielded type wires? Are you ignoring the ground pins or using
them? Etc..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
[...]

them? �Etc..- Hide quoted text -

do the lights light up flash etc on the modem in the trailer, like
they do in the building?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uhh, it is CAT5 or better wire, right?
Replace one at the 50' point & see if it'll work there. *I'm betting on
something wrong with the wires. *REgular phone cable will never work
over 100'.

Like I said, I did a loopback test of over 900 feet of regular 100
pair Cat 3 riser cable: From where it comes into the main building in
Ma Bells' frame closet, 450 feet away to the communicaton closet right
before it leaves the building to go out to the trailer, then looped
back 450 feet to Ma Bells frame again. It works. Distance is not the
issue.

You said the modem was in the building and you're running 6 pairs 100'?
Why? *Better to have the modem in the trailer. *Assuming you really mean
"modem". *What is your "modem"? *Why do you think 100' isn't too far
away? *What kind if wire is used to/from the modem in/out? Are you using
the shielded type wires? *Are you ignoring the ground pins or using
them? *Etc..- Hide quoted text -

The outdoor cable is called "Alpath". It is basically a rigid 6 pair
outdoor cable in thick jacket filled with silicone.
The modem I am trying to get working is in the trailer. It looks
basically like a broadband modem with wireless capability.
What I said was I tried out the modem box in the main building and it
works.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 19:35:15 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

do the lights light up flash etc on the modem in the trailer, like
they do in the building?

Very good question. He should have told us without your asking.

I once knew what each light meant. I've forgotten but other people
know.

Mike, you also didn't answer the question Hallerb asked first. Can
you connect a phone to that pair and get a dial tone. Can you do this
in the main office and not in the trailer? Or do you have DSL
without dialtone?.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

do the lights light up flash etc on the modem in the trailer, like
they do in the building?

Very good question. *He should have told us without your asking. *

I once knew what each light meant. I've forgotten but other people
know.

Mike, you also didn't answer the question Hallerb asked first. *Can
you connect a phone to that pair and get a dial tone. *Can you do this
in the main office and not in the trailer? * *Or do you have DSL
without dialtone?.

I thought I did answer that, see 4th post down. This is a
straightfoward dedicated DSL, no dial tone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Update: Well I tried turning off all breakers in the trailer, I also
tried reversing the plug. No help.
I asked one of the MRI physicists if anything might intefere with the
DSL in the 1400 KHz range. He said no.
I still had an old DSL modem that was previously thought to be
defective by the contractor. I plugged it in and it worked. Now
everything is fine.
The only explanation is that these 2 modems are made by different
manufacturers and there are probably different tolerance levels
between the 2 involving interference.
Thanks for everyones help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uhh, it is CAT5 or better wire, right?
Replace one at the 50' point & see if it'll work there. I'm betting
on something wrong with the wires. REgular phone cable will never
work over 100'.

Like I said, I did a loopback test of over 900 feet of regular 100
pair Cat 3 riser cable: From where it comes into the main building in
Ma Bells' frame closet, 450 feet away to the communicaton closet right
before it leaves the building to go out to the trailer, then looped
back 450 feet to Ma Bells frame again. It works. Distance is not the
issue.

Sounds like you have the situaiton in hand so all should be well now.
Just for the heck of it though a single loopback test isn't proof that
it's not distance related if it's the wrong type wiring. It only means
that one pair by itself works OK. And CAT3 cable explains a lot,
actually.
IMO if you have more problems later, which is likely what happened
that they originally said that modem was defunct, you need to look into
all the suggestions that have been made to you. When it quits working
again and if you come back here, try to include the missing details as
well as anything else relevant you can think of. Many people had good
suggestions and questions which you seemed to ignore. You have wiring
problems.

Best of luck,

You said the modem was in the building and you're running 6 pairs
100'? Why? Better to have the modem in the trailer. Assuming you
really mean "modem". What is your "modem"? Why do you think 100'
isn't too far away? What kind if wire is used to/from the modem
in/out? Are you using the shielded type wires? Are you ignoring the
ground pins or using them? Etc..- Hide quoted text -

The outdoor cable is called "Alpath". It is basically a rigid 6 pair
outdoor cable in thick jacket filled with silicone.
The modem I am trying to get working is in the trailer. It looks
basically like a broadband modem with wireless capability.
What I said was I tried out the modem box in the main building and it
works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Bob wrote:

they've got dsl now without phone line.

Oh, but is DOES come over a "phone line". It just has no dial tone.

That is called "Stand Alone DSL".

It is delivered over the exact, same pair that runs to that station -
with NO dial tone on it.

Troubleshooting "dry" DSL is a royal PITA. I often would "layer" C.O.
dial tone (talk line) on the pair during repair. Otherwise, waiting for
the DSL tester to train-up (sync) at each test point in the circuit was
time consuming and frustrating. With dial tone, it's MUCH easier: No
dial tone? The pair is open or seriously faulted somewhere.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
Bob wrote:

they've got dsl now without phone line.

Oh, but is DOES come over a "phone line". It just has no dial tone.

then its not a phone line, its a "dsl line".

That is called "Stand Alone DSL".

yea, like I said dsl without the phone line.

no ****, we thought it came from mars.

Troubleshooting "dry" DSL is a royal PITA. I often would "layer" C.O.
dial tone (talk line) on the pair during repair. Otherwise, waiting for
the DSL tester to train-up (sync) at each test point in the circuit was
time consuming and frustrating. With dial tone, it's MUCH easier: No
dial tone? The pair is open or seriously faulted somewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Update: now the old modem, the one that worked for a while, stopped
working.
Then I remebered that theAlpath cable goes through a machine room
with these huge commercial lights ( like the kind you see lighting
Home Depot, Lowes that take a while to turn on). I shut off the
lights and both modems work now. So the fact that the phone cable
running close to these lights had something to do with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
Update: now the old modem, the one that worked for a while, stopped
working.
Then I remebered that theAlpath cable goes through a machine room
with these huge commercial lights ( like the kind you see lighting
Home Depot, Lowes that take a while to turn on). I shut off the
lights and both modems work now. So the fact that the phone cable
running close to these lights had something to do with it.

Can you hang a stick of EMT in the area of the lights, and run the cable
through that? Or maybe reroute the cable? Looks like your original hunch
was right, it was just the wrong suspect causing the interference. If
the lights are on the same mains power transformer can as the modems,
the interference could be coming through on the power side, as well. I
get static on all my am radios that use wall power when neighbor turns
on his damn security light.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:08:11 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

Update: Well I tried turning off all breakers in the trailer, I also
tried reversing the plug. No help.
I asked one of the MRI physicists if anything might intefere with the
DSL in the 1400 KHz range. He said no.
I still had an old DSL modem that was previously thought to be
defective by the contractor. I plugged it in and it worked. Now
everything is fine.
The only explanation is that these 2 modems are made by different
manufacturers and there are probably different tolerance levels
between the 2 involving interference.
Thanks for everyones help.

Thanks for posting back to let us know!

P&M
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 02:25:58 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

get static on all my am radios that use wall power when neighbor turns
on his damn security light.

aem sends....

I had that with my OWN security light, the one the HOA wanted on the
end of a section of townhouses.

First it only happened when the bulb was going bad, and later it was
all night. (Only on the weak AM stations, which I didn't seem to
actually listen to.)

Too high for my extension ladder to reach, when fnally the whole
fixture failed and they removed it, I saw that for some stupid reason
it had been set on ...I forget what they call it, but it's on at
half-brightness all the time, and goes to full brightenss if it sees
something. All I had to do was change the next one to be OFF when
it's off. If it comes on for a few minutes and the AM reception is
bad, that would just notify me there was someone outside or the wind
was blowing, which would be ok.

So look at his light and maybe he needs a new bulb, or maybe it's on
all night at half brightness, and yo can get him to change that.

P&M
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was told that the lights in the machine room are called metal halide
lamps. Not sure what kind of frequency they emit but it looks that is
the source of the problem.