donald girod

Default groundhog problem(?) [Was: Skunk Problem]

As long as you don't intend to raise vegetables you'll be fine. But they
will raise total hell with a garden. Tomatoes, green peppers, and potatoes
seem to be ignored, but green beans, peas, and the like will simply
disappear without a trace. If you have a dog, he will probably keep them at
bay.

They don't seem to destroy flowers as badly as vegetables.

The other danger is that they will make burrows where people walk. It is
perfectly possible to break a leg stepping into a chuckhole.

But if they aren't bothering you, don't bother them either. They can be
trapped in a live trap with some success but then you have the dilemma of
what to do with the trapped animal.

"frank at zk3.dec.com" "frank at zk3.dec.com" wrote in message
Well in my case it's a family of groundhogs (big ones too) living under
the garden shed, ohmaybe 25 yards from the house. As far as I can tell,
they aren't bothering anything-- I don't see signs of lawn damage or
anything. Presumably they forage in the woods out back. However, I
just bought the house and haven't moved in yet, so haven't really been
around to observe them.

Is there any reason I should be concerned? Otherwise I'll just let 'em

be.

--
Douglas Frank DigitalWhoopsCompaqImeanHP Co.
ZKO 110 Spit Brook Rd. These are my principles;

Tom Miller

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:57:02 -0400, "donald girod"
wrote:

| As long as you don't intend to raise vegetables you'll be fine. But they
| will raise total hell with a garden. Tomatoes, green peppers, and potatoes
| seem to be ignored, but green beans, peas, and the like will simply
| disappear without a trace. If you have a dog, he will probably keep them at
| bay.
|
| They don't seem to destroy flowers as badly as vegetables.

Well, our experience is that they pick and choose. Some of our flowers
they just mow down. Some they ignore. They seem to like the tender
annuals better than perennials.

| The other danger is that they will make burrows where people walk. It is
| perfectly possible to break a leg stepping into a chuckhole.
|
| But if they aren't bothering you, don't bother them either. They can be
| trapped in a live trap with some success but then you have the dilemma of
| what to do with the trapped animal.
|
| "frank at zk3.dec.com" "frank at zk3.dec.com" wrote in message
| Well in my case it's a family of groundhogs (big ones too) living under
| the garden shed, ohmaybe 25 yards from the house. As far as I can tell,
| they aren't bothering anything-- I don't see signs of lawn damage or
| anything. Presumably they forage in the woods out back. However, I
| just bought the house and haven't moved in yet, so haven't really been
| around to observe them.
|
| Is there any reason I should be concerned? Otherwise I'll just let 'em
| be.
|
| --
| Douglas Frank DigitalWhoopsCompaqImeanHP Co.
| ZKO 110 Spit Brook Rd. These are my principles;
| 603-884-0501 Nashua, NH USA 03062 if you object... I have others.

Tom Miller

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:15:09 GMT, "William Plummer"
wrote:

| The will demolish a vegetable garden and will take out many flowers as
| noted. I tried laying 2' wide fence material in the grass around my
| vertical fence (stopped digging under, but not climbing over), "Gopher
| Gasers" (started a fire!), and a Wrist Rocket (not accurate enough).
| Finally, an electric fence worked. Also, if you chase them for about 50',
| they finally stop and you can hit them with a shovel. But the are very hard
| to kill.

We've used mothballs, as previously suggested, and dried blood,
available at some garden centers (it's dried cow's blood and is
normally used as a weak fertilizer). Both work ... sort of. The dried
blood works the best, but you have to keep putting it around the
gardens every few days. If it rains, you have to reapply it. Moth
balls are less effective but last longer. They keep your neighbors
away too if you use enough.