Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing Galvinized Pipes with C-PVC Pipe?

Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath
tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another
spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with
C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. He
further states copper is way too expensive these days.
Want do you think?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 6:42*am, "Tom" wrote:
Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath
tub. *A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another
spot. * The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with
C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. *He
further states copper is way too expensive these days.
Want do you think?

Thanks

CPVC ok just not PVC , A hint, get foam pipe insulation the one that
has glued edges and the plastic tape that is removed to seal the
insulation, not HD stuff. Copper transmits and looses heat CPVC will
save you money in less heat loss also be sure to insulate the pipe. Be
sure he sands, primes all joints.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom" wrote in message ...
Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath
tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another
spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with
C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. He
further states copper is way too expensive these days.
Want do you think?

that's what I did 25 years ago and no problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Both the copper and newer plastic pipes work quite well. Builders use
the plastic stuff because it's so easy to install that even a Mexican
can do it. If you use copper, please insulate the hot water pipes.
Personally, I use copper because that's what my house was made with
and I don't want a mix of copper and plastic. Copper is more
expensive yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

CPVC ok just not PVC , A hint, get foam pipe insulation the one that
has glued edges and the plastic tape that is removed to seal the
insulation, not HD stuff. Copper transmits and looses heat CPVC will
save you money in less heat loss also be sure to insulate the pipe. Be
sure he sands, primes all joints.

The plumber came from Angies List and he has an award rating there. I'll
inquire intot the sanding and priming all joints.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zzyzzx" wrote in message
Both the copper and newer plastic pipes work quite well. Builders use
the plastic stuff because it's so easy to install that even a Mexican
can do it. If you use copper, please insulate the hot water pipes.
Personally, I use copper because that's what my house was made with
and I don't want a mix of copper and plastic. Copper is more
expensive yes.

He said the cost of copper has gone up x4 over the past couple of years.
I'll be removing galvinized and replacing w/ C-PVC. I don't plan to be in
the house more than 5 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

that's what I did 25 years ago and no problems.

25 years? great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 6:35*am, "Tom" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

that's what I did 25 years ago and no problems.

25 years? *great.

Same here but it has been a bit longer. One advantage of cpvc over
copper is the ease of making changes/additions. A hacksaw (or tubing
cutter), a bottle of glue, a bottle of cleaner/solvent and few cheap
fittings will get a new run installed in minutes.

Odd that he didnt' suggest PEX. That stuff is more expensive than cpvc
but is flexible to make runs through walls.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 8:33*am, "Tom" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

CPVC ok just not PVC , A hint, get foam pipe insulation the one that
has glued edges and the plastic tape that is removed to seal the
insulation, not HD stuff. Copper transmits and looses heat CPVC will
save you money in less heat loss also be sure to insulate the pipe. Be
sure he sands, primes all joints.

The plumber came from Angies List and he has an award rating there. * I'll
inquire intot the sanding and priming all joints.

What is the reward rating for , not being drunk and wearing pants that
show butt crack?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 9:24*am, zzyzzx wrote:
Both the copper and newer plastic pipes work quite well. *Builders use
the plastic stuff because it's so easy to install that even a Mexican
can do it. *If you use copper, please insulate the hot water pipes.
Personally, I use copper because that's what my house was made with
and I don't want a mix of copper and plastic.

Is that an aesthetic decision or is there another reason you don't
want to mix the two?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Tom,

my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor
bath tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in
another spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the
bathroom with C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o
problems. He further states copper is way too expensive these days.
Want do you think?

My in-laws had galvanized pipe in their house also. They asked me to fix a
leaky faucet one day. I thought it was a seal or something, but when I
unscrewed the valve the whole faucet housing cracked away. So, I tried
unbolting the faucet but the rusted pipe in the wall broke away instead.
That meant replacing the pipe in the wall. When I tried to unthread the
pipe in the basement, the fitting crumbled away. So, I tried to unscrew the
next segment of pipe and it literally split lengthwise down the full length
of the pipe! Even when I got back to a solid piece of pipe it had so much
corrosion inside there was only a small 1/16 inch hole in the middle. Since
half the pipe in the house had fallen apart in my hands and the other half
was clogged with corrosion, I just replumbed the entire house with CPVC.

Go with the CPVC. I've been using it for years for a variety of projects
and have never had a problem with it. I used it to plumb our entire house,
as well as replumbing my in-laws house. It won't corrode the way galvanized
does.

Copper is expensive these days, and it takes a bit of skill to sweat the
joints properly. And there's always a small risk of accidently starting a
fire with the torch. Copper can also develop pinhole leaks with acidic
water.

PEX is becoming more popular but it usually requires special tools to
install and isn't as widely available. Any mom and pop hardware store
carries CPVC which will be important the next time you need to make a
repair or addition late at night or on a weekend. Last I checked, PEX was
one of the pricier options too.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Aug 5, 6:42 am, "Tom" wrote:
Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor
bath tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in
another spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the
bathroom with C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years
w/o problems. He further states copper is way too expensive these
days.
Want do you think?

Thanks

CPVC ok just not PVC , A hint, get foam pipe insulation the one that
has glued edges and the plastic tape that is removed to seal the
insulation, not HD stuff. Copper transmits and looses heat CPVC will
save you money in less heat loss also be sure to insulate the pipe. Be
sure he sands, primes all joints.

Hint #2: Forget the pipe insulation with glued edges, yak, yak, yak. Find a
toy called "Pool Noodle" at Walmart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 07:42:26 -0400, "Tom" wrote:

Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath
tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another
spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with
C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. He
further states copper is way too expensive these days.

My House is nearly 30 years old, the cpvc has been fine so far.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

If you go with PEX be sure to have your plumber do a home run (also know as
the "star" configuration) from your source, for each fixture with no "TEEs"
inside the walls. The old way of "daisy-chaining" leaves too many fittings
inside the walls and can reduce pressure when multiple fixtures are using
water at the same time.

"Tom" wrote in message ...

"zzyzzx" wrote in message
Both the copper and newer plastic pipes work quite well. Builders use
the plastic stuff because it's so easy to install that even a Mexican
can do it. If you use copper, please insulate the hot water pipes.
Personally, I use copper because that's what my house was made with
and I don't want a mix of copper and plastic. Copper is more
expensive yes.

He said the cost of copper has gone up x4 over the past couple of years.
I'll be removing galvinized and replacing w/ C-PVC. I don't plan to be in
the house more than 5 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Aug 5, 8:33 am, "Tom" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

What is the reward rating for , not being drunk and wearing pants that
show butt crack?

Check out Angies List and see for yourself.

Butt crack? he said it was $5.00 extra to display buttcrack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Hill" wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 07:42:26 -0400, "Tom" wrote:
My House is nearly 30 years old, the cpvc has been fine so far.

Sounds good to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cpvc is supposed to be good stuff. Pex appears to be the wave of the future,
though. Pex doesn't burst if it freezes, I'm told.

He's right, copper is too expensive.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus