Rob

Default Soldering Galvinized Gutter

I need to replace a section of my galvinized roof gutter. I was told
that the best way to join the galvinized gutter sections is to solder
the pieces together. I have soldered copper pipe a lot in the past, but
never galvinized steel. Is the process essentially the same as pipe? Do
I need to use flux (spelling) and do I use the same type of solder?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Rob
DanG

Yes to all of the questions.

Here are a few disclaimers:
Tinners use large, heavy soldering irons, not torches.
Tinners use bar solder - same stuff, just allows larger quantity
quicker.
Tinners usually use liquid flux with a brush.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Rob" wrote in message
I need to replace a section of my galvinized roof gutter. I was
told that the best way to join the galvinized gutter sections is
to solder the pieces together. I have soldered copper pipe a lot
in the past, but never galvinized steel. Is the process
essentially the same as pipe? Do I need to use flux (spelling)
and do I use the same type of solder?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Rob

Goedjn

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:52:09 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

Yes to all of the questions.

Here are a few disclaimers:
Tinners use large, heavy soldering irons, not torches.
Tinners use bar solder - same stuff, just allows larger quantity
quicker.
Tinners usually use liquid flux with a brush.

And stay upwind of it, because zink fumes can make you
pretty sick, in the short term.
Heathcliff

Rob wrote:
I need to replace a section of my galvinized roof gutter. I was told
that the best way to join the galvinized gutter sections is to solder
the pieces together. I have soldered copper pipe a lot in the past, but
never galvinized steel. Is the process essentially the same as pipe? Do
I need to use flux (spelling) and do I use the same type of solder?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Rob

One difference between copper pipe and gutter is that the gutter is
often in contact with a wood surface (fascia board) and in close
proximity to asphalt (or even wood) shingles. So the fire hazard is
more of a concern if you are working with a torch. If that's a concern
for you, you might consider alternatives such as outdoor caulk or
epoxy. My aluminum gutters are caulked at the seams and have been fine
for the last 10 years.

George E. Cawthon

Rob wrote:
I need to replace a section of my galvinized roof gutter. I was told
that the best way to join the galvinized gutter sections is to solder
the pieces together. I have soldered copper pipe a lot in the past, but
never galvinized steel. Is the process essentially the same as pipe? Do
I need to use flux (spelling) and do I use the same type of solder?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Rob

Sheet material is thin so the temp changes quickly
and is more difficult for someone who hasn't done
it before. In addition, thin material like
gutters is likely to distort considerably with the
heat. You need a liquid flux (acid flux) and
paint in on with a brush. Don't know what type of
solder you used in the past. I use the old
standard lead solder (60/40 or whatever) solid for
metals, resin core for electrical stuff.

Personally, I would join the sections with an
appropriate sealer of some sort (I would probably
silicone caulk for gutters and flashing. But if
you have enough sections and you are a faster
learner, you may be pretty good at soldering them
by the time you finish.