Heathcliff

Default Soldering Galvinized Gutter

Rob wrote:
I need to replace a section of my galvinized roof gutter. I was told
that the best way to join the galvinized gutter sections is to solder
the pieces together. I have soldered copper pipe a lot in the past, but
never galvinized steel. Is the process essentially the same as pipe? Do
I need to use flux (spelling) and do I use the same type of solder?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Rob

One difference between copper pipe and gutter is that the gutter is
often in contact with a wood surface (fascia board) and in close
proximity to asphalt (or even wood) shingles. So the fire hazard is
more of a concern if you are working with a torch. If that's a concern
for you, you might consider alternatives such as outdoor caulk or
epoxy. My aluminum gutters are caulked at the seams and have been fine
for the last 10 years.