Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default storage of firewood

Me again.

My firewood is stacked on a cement slab next to and partly under the
deck. Is this ok. How close to the brick house can the firewood be
stored?

Right now some pieces are only 2 inches away. The wood is 10 months
old, very dense and shows no rotting at all or insects at all. Just
like new except maybe the color is a fifth of a shade darker.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
news
Me again.

My firewood is stacked on a cement slab next to and partly under the
deck. Is this ok. How close to the brick house can the firewood be
stored?

Right now some pieces are only 2 inches away. The wood is 10 months
old, very dense and shows no rotting at all or insects at all. Just
like new except maybe the color is a fifth of a shade darker.

Thanks.

If it is brick you are OK. Just be sure it is a foot or more away from
wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 7:30*pm, mm wrote:
Me again.

My firewood is stacked on a cement slab next to and partly under the
deck. * Is this ok. *How close to the brick house can the firewood be
stored? * *

Right now some pieces are only 2 inches away. *The wood is 10 months
old, very dense and shows no rotting at all or insects at all. Just
like new except maybe the color is a fifth of a shade darker.

Thanks.

Bugs-termites live in wood, 2" is too cloose, brick or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:27:46 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Jul 25, 7:30*pm, mm wrote:
Me again.

My firewood is stacked on a cement slab next to and partly under the
deck. * Is this ok. *How close to the brick house can the firewood be
stored? * *

Right now some pieces are only 2 inches away. *The wood is 10 months
old, very dense and shows no rotting at all or insects at all. Just
like new except maybe the color is a fifth of a shade darker.

Thanks.

Bugs-termites live in wood, 2" is too cloose, brick or not.

I liked it when I only had one answer. So you're saying I need a
foot? 6 inches?
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

wrote:
On Jul 25, 7:30*pm, mm wrote:
Me again.

My firewood is stacked on a cement slab next to and partly under the
deck. * Is this ok. *How close to the brick house can the firewood be
stored? * *

Right now some pieces are only 2 inches away. *The wood is 10 months
old, very dense and shows no rotting at all or insects at all. Just
like new except maybe the color is a fifth of a shade darker.

Thanks.

Bugs-termites live in wood, 2" is too cloose, brick or not.

I liked it when I only had one answer. *So you're saying I need a
foot? *6 inches?

Check out this pic. Wonder if this guy has insect problems with the
way he has his wood stored?

http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/woodhouse.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
Me again.

My firewood is stacked on a cement slab next to and partly under the
deck. Is this ok. How close to the brick house can the firewood be
stored?

Right now some pieces are only 2 inches away. The wood is 10 months
old, very dense and shows no rotting at all or insects at all. Just
like new except maybe the color is a fifth of a shade darker.

Thanks.

Mine's been stacked like that for years without problem. Every now and
then when spraying around house for ants, etc. I'll also spray base of
stacked wood. You generally need damp conditions and route to soil to
get termites. Next door neighbor got them and now, fortunately, his
treatment killed all in the area. Before that, another neighbor offered
me wood stored on ground, away from his house, and it was termite
infested - no thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
On Jul 25, 7:30*pm, mm wrote:
Me again.

My firewood is stacked on a cement slab next to and partly under the
deck. * Is this ok. *How close to the brick house can the firewood be
stored? * *

Right now some pieces are only 2 inches away. *The wood is 10 months
old, very dense and shows no rotting at all or insects at all. Just
like new except maybe the color is a fifth of a shade darker.

Thanks.

Bugs-termites live in wood, 2" is too cloose, brick or not.

I liked it when I only had one answer. *So you're saying I need a
foot? *6 inches?

Check out this pic. Wonder if this guy has insect problems with the
way he has his wood stored?

http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/woodhouse.jpg

That's great. Thanks.

I had a friend who grew up on a small farm in Illinois, became a NYC
lawyer, read books on how to build your own summer home and built one
with short logs laid from outside to inside like in the picture.
Although bigger diameter and not as many.

Well, they kept shinking and he had to keep filling in with cement.

He did however do most of the work by himself and with friends and a
little with a paid crew, plus paying someone to blast out enough to
make the bottom of the house on a flat spot. And paying for one other
big thing. Plus I think his enormous windows (pretty much window in
one direction) came with installation maybe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jul 25, 7:30 pm, mm wrote:
Me again.

My firewood is stacked on a cement slab next to and partly under the
deck. Is this ok. How close to the brick house can the firewood be
stored?

Right now some pieces are only 2 inches away. The wood is 10 months
old, very dense and shows no rotting at all or insects at all. Just
like new except maybe the color is a fifth of a shade darker.

Thanks.

Bugs-termites live in wood, 2" is too cloose, brick or not.

I liked it when I only had one answer. So you're saying I need a
foot? 6 inches?

Check out this pic. Wonder if this guy has insect problems with the
way he has his wood stored?

http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/woodhouse.jpg

That looks like one of Mother Earth News' idea of a wonderful house. I went
to their farm back in '82 and most of the displays and homes were
nonfunctional.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:30:39 -0400, mm
wrote:

Me again.

My firewood is stacked on a cement slab next to and partly under the
deck. Is this ok. How close to the brick house can the firewood be
stored?

Right now some pieces are only 2 inches away. The wood is 10 months
old, very dense and shows no rotting at all or insects at all. Just
like new except maybe the color is a fifth of a shade darker.

Thanks.

Keep it far enough away so that you can easily clean and inspect the
foundation. Keep the wood dry and move it monthly. My personal
preference is to keep wood at least 20 feet away from the house (who
wants termites 2" away?)

Firewood ? [email protected] Woodworking 7 October 29th 07 07:29 PM
Firewood Ideas Calleads.COM Home Ownership 0 January 28th 07 08:10 PM
How long for wet firewood to dry? [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 17th 05 02:12 PM
Firewood Bob Home Repair 9 November 5th 05 01:37 PM
When to cut firewood? toller Home Repair 7 October 30th 04 09:06 PM