toller

Default When to cut firewood?

I scavenged a small black locust tree. The lengths are all too long, and
much of it needs to be split.

I won't be needing any wood this year or next, so I am in no hurry. Am I
better off letting it dry out before splitting/cutting, or should I do it
now?

Pop

I'd do it as soon as it's convenient; it'll dry out faster after
it's split. UNLESS it has to be dried to split it; not familair
with black locust. Some greens can be pretty tough to split.

Pop

"toller" wrote in message
|I scavenged a small black locust tree. The lengths are all too
long, and
| much of it needs to be split.
|
| I won't be needing any wood this year or next, so I am in no
hurry. Am I
| better off letting it dry out before splitting/cutting, or
should I do it
| now?

Edwin Pawlowski

"toller" wrote in message
I scavenged a small black locust tree. The lengths are all too long, and
much of it needs to be split.

I won't be needing any wood this year or next, so I am in no hurry. Am I
better off letting it dry out before splitting/cutting, or should I do it
now?

This is a good time. You don't want to do it in the spring when the sap is
rising. Late fall or winter is best.

It will split best after drying for a few months. Cut it to length now,
split it next summer.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
It will split best after drying for a few months. Cut it to length now,
split it next summer.
Ed

I should clarify this a bit more. If the wood has been down a few weeks or
more and it has been very cold, below freezing for a week or so, it will
split easily also. The moisture inside is frozen and a good shot with a
maul and it will pop apart.

If you are using a hydraulic splitter, any time is a good time.

xrongor

if not in hurry, i would cut to length and let it dry a year before
splitting. probably be much easier that way. or you can just try a couple
and see if it splits easy now.

randy

"toller" wrote in message
I scavenged a small black locust tree. The lengths are all too long, and
much of it needs to be split.

I won't be needing any wood this year or next, so I am in no hurry. Am I
better off letting it dry out before splitting/cutting, or should I do it
now?

Harry K

"toller" wrote in message ...
I scavenged a small black locust tree. The lengths are all too long, and
much of it needs to be split.

I won't be needing any wood this year or next, so I am in no hurry. Am I
better off letting it dry out before splitting/cutting, or should I do it
now?

Black locust is fairly easy to split but it does spit easier the drier
it gets. It is best to cut to length while it is green. Locust is
notoriously hard on saws and even more so dry. Drying time is at least
a year.

Harry K
Jim Elbrecht

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:53:52 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I scavenged a small black locust tree. The lengths are all too long, and
much of it needs to be split.

I won't be needing any wood this year or next, so I am in no hurry. Am I
better off letting it dry out before splitting/cutting, or should I do it
now?

If you think you'll *ever* have occasion to need a fence post I hope
you left them long enough to do the job. Black locust will outlast
pressure treated wood. [It's pretty good firewood, too-- but as
fenceposts it has no equal]

If it is firewood-- I'll repeat what someone else said-- 'cut it to
length now'. Unless you enjoy seeing sparks fly off your chain
you don't want to cut seasoned locust. I would split it once it
freezes-- but that might just be habit because splitting is a good
Jan-Feb chore.

Jim

toller

I cut and split the wood today. Most pieces split on the first strike.
Last time I did black locust the grain was all interconnected and a single
piece could take a half hour to split. I actually had to saw some of it.

Boy, different trees can be very different!