Jim Elbrecht

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:53:52 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I scavenged a small black locust tree. The lengths are all too long, and
much of it needs to be split.

I won't be needing any wood this year or next, so I am in no hurry. Am I
better off letting it dry out before splitting/cutting, or should I do it
now?

If you think you'll *ever* have occasion to need a fence post I hope
you left them long enough to do the job. Black locust will outlast
pressure treated wood. [It's pretty good firewood, too-- but as
fenceposts it has no equal]

If it is firewood-- I'll repeat what someone else said-- 'cut it to
length now'. Unless you enjoy seeing sparks fly off your chain
you don't want to cut seasoned locust. I would split it once it
freezes-- but that might just be habit because splitting is a good
Jan-Feb chore.

Jim