Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long for wet firewood to dry?

6 weeks ago I bought 2 cords of oak firewood that was seasoned for a
year supposedly. I think that seems legit, as the guy seemed fairly
trustworthy and does a good amount of local business. Due to many
reasons, I never got a chance to stack it when he dropped it off. We
had nearly a month of heavy rain here in the Northeast and it was
getting soaked the entire time. I finally got it stacked and covered
about 10 days ago. It is hard starting in the fireplace, and
smokes/sizzles a lot.

2 questions, would this be more likely the exposure to rain? and if so,
how long should it take to dry out now? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
6 weeks ago I bought 2 cords of oak firewood that was seasoned for a
year supposedly. I think that seems legit, as the guy seemed fairly
trustworthy and does a good amount of local business. Due to many
reasons, I never got a chance to stack it when he dropped it off. We
had nearly a month of heavy rain here in the Northeast and it was
getting soaked the entire time. I finally got it stacked and covered
about 10 days ago. It is hard starting in the fireplace, and
smokes/sizzles a lot.

2 questions, would this be more likely the exposure to rain? and if so,
how long should it take to dry out now? Thanks.

The rain will have some affect on it but should not take it back to the
original "green" state. Wood takes at least a year to dry properly and it
also takes a long time to soak up water.

Bring enough wood in the house to burn a good fire and let it sit for a week
and try it. That should make a big difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

The only wood I get now is from trees dead 3 years, If it was split a
year ago you may be ok after a week inside, but unless you had a hard
freeze watch for bugs, but not if it was recently split.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another useful trick to disposing of wood cleanly in a fireplace
(IMHO), is, once a fire is started with some relatively dry wood, to
put a few pieces at a time on end along the inside of the fireplace.
Turn periodically and don't overcook. Remove and replace with other wet
pieces after sufficiently dry.

The smaller the pieces, both in length and cross-section, the more
quickly they dry. So you may want to split & cut further.

(Comments withheld about throwing away good fuelwood in a fireplace-
hard to do for a Yankee.)