Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default How long for wet firewood to dry?

wrote in message
ups.com...
6 weeks ago I bought 2 cords of oak firewood that was seasoned for a
year supposedly. I think that seems legit, as the guy seemed fairly
trustworthy and does a good amount of local business. Due to many
reasons, I never got a chance to stack it when he dropped it off. We
had nearly a month of heavy rain here in the Northeast and it was
getting soaked the entire time. I finally got it stacked and covered
about 10 days ago. It is hard starting in the fireplace, and
smokes/sizzles a lot.

2 questions, would this be more likely the exposure to rain? and if so,
how long should it take to dry out now? Thanks.

The rain will have some affect on it but should not take it back to the
original "green" state. Wood takes at least a year to dry properly and it
also takes a long time to soak up water.

Bring enough wood in the house to burn a good fire and let it sit for a week
and try it. That should make a big difference.