dean

Default How long can firewood last if its kept dry?

I'm thinking for ever, if its dry and kept free of insect. I know when
its wet it looses all energy values after a few years, but dry? Is this
right?

I'm taking about it being kept dry outside, with a tarp over the top.

Thanks!

Dean

Duane Bozarth

Indefinitely.
Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm thinking for ever, if its dry and kept free of insect. I know when
its wet it looses all energy values after a few years, but dry? Is this
right?

I'm taking about it being kept dry outside, with a tarp over the top.

Thanks!

Dry and insect free, it can last 100 or 200 years. Firewood is really no
different than the wood used to build homes and furniture centuries ago.
Those protected survived, those in the weather rotted away. Ground moisture
is probably the biggest culprit. Put a tarp under also if you want long
term.

Phil Munro

Hmmm. How long can a house still burn?

dean wrote:

I'm thinking for ever, if its dry and kept free of insect. I know
when its wet it looses all energy values after a few years, but dry?
Is this right?

I'm taking about it being kept dry outside, with a tarp over the top.

Thanks!

Dean

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555
dean

Well I am talking about a pile of wood outside in the elements, not
wood covered up in panelling and paint

Thanks everyone. Edwin - won't a tarp underneath hold in water?

Duane Bozarth

dean wrote:

Well I am talking about a pile of wood outside in the elements, not
wood covered up in panelling and paint

Thanks everyone. Edwin - won't a tarp underneath hold in water?

Come on, man, use your noggin!

All you have to do is have a place it can drain and keep (relatively)
dry.
dean

Well of course. Just trying to picture a tarp underneath, that's all.

Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well of course. Just trying to picture a tarp underneath, that's all.

I'd put the tarp on the ground, then put pallets on top of the tarp, then
stack the wood on the pallets. I've had wood stacked with no tarp and it is
good for a couple of years but the pallets in contact with the ground went
to hell fast.

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well of course. Just trying to picture a tarp underneath, that's all.

I'd put the tarp on the ground, then put pallets on top of the tarp, then
stack the wood on the pallets. I've had wood stacked with no tarp and it is
good for a couple of years but the pallets in contact with the ground went
to hell fast.

I was thinking of the tarp over the support (when I was where I stacked
firewood and it was a wet climate in E TN I used blocks and some angle
as the base) as a lower "splash guard" if you will...if it's higher than
surrounding area, it will drain/carry water away.

To complete the picture, envision the tarp above covering the top of
the pile, and maybe extending outward a bit down a small percentage of
the sides. (e.g. propped with scrap)

You want to allow airflow through the pile, not trap moisture up under
the tarp. Tarp should cover as little as possible while keeping rain
off wood.

HTH,

Rob

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...

Well of course. Just trying to picture a tarp underneath, that's all.

I'd put the tarp on the ground, then put pallets on top of the tarp, then
stack the wood on the pallets. I've had wood stacked with no tarp and it is
good for a couple of years but the pallets in contact with the ground went
to hell fast.

I'd put cement block down below first instead of a bottom tarp. A bottom
tarp would invariably collect and pool water, making the moisture
problem worse....

Rob
James

My method is to lay down two eight foot 4 X 4 pressure treated beams flat
on the ground , and stack the wood on them. The firewood will last for at
least 2 or 3 years like this, even if uncovered. It will last much longer
than that if covered with a tarp.

--James--

ameijers

"James" wrote in message

My method is to lay down two eight foot 4 X 4 pressure treated beams

flat
on the ground , and stack the wood on them. The firewood will last for at
least 2 or 3 years like this, even if uncovered. It will last much

longer
than that if covered with a tarp.

If you are gonna stockpile more than a season's worth of wood, bite the
bullet and build a woodshed, even a 3-sided one with enoough overhang to
keep direct rain off the front. A few posts, some horizontal rails to keep
the wood out of the dirt, and whatever is cheap and handy for the roof an
sidewalls.

aem sends...

I was going to say the same thing. Google on 'woodshed design' and you'll
find suggestions on the net. I got the plans for mine out of a magazine
years ago, and when I switched to pellets I sold the shed for $1,000 when it
was over 10 yrs old. I think it cost me about 300 to knock together, but a
few little touches made it an attractive outdoor building that stored 6
cord, plus an enclosed box for kindling. I used 2x6 pressure treated
decking, but the rest was a pine box. Just be sure to allow for plenty of
air movement.

Keith

"ameijers" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message

My method is to lay down two eight foot 4 X 4 pressure treated beams

flat
on the ground , and stack the wood on them. The firewood will last for
at
least 2 or 3 years like this, even if uncovered. It will last much

longer
than that if covered with a tarp.

If you are gonna stockpile more than a season's worth of wood, bite the
bullet and build a woodshed, even a 3-sided one with enoough overhang to
keep direct rain off the front. A few posts, some horizontal rails to keep
the wood out of the dirt, and whatever is cheap and handy for the roof an
sidewalls.

aem sends...

Jim

James wrote:
My method is to lay down two eight foot 4 X 4 pressure treated beams flat
on the ground , and stack the wood on them. The firewood will last for at
least 2 or 3 years like this, even if uncovered. It will last much longer
than that if covered with a tarp.

--James--

I also used 4 X 4 pressure treated but instead created a rack. End
posts used metal anchoring spikes for further protection. First row
begins about 8 inches off the ground. Simple roof covering is green
tarp which barely extends to the edges. Rock solid and not an eyesore.
dean

Ok right now I have accummulated about 20 cords of wood. I started off
with a pressure treated rack but that gets a bit expansive and its was
a little too high for my liking. Now I'm just putting down stone gravel
(2" size) to make a foundation, and then a row of paving bricks I
found on top of that,a nd the wood on those. I've been using anything I
can find for the covering (tarps, roof liners, etc). Tarps get
expensive if you need to buy a lot of them, and the ones they make for
logs are BLUE, and I want green or brown to make it discreet.

Anyway, I digress! Just wanted to know how long it can last.

Thanks all for the tips!

Dean

Jim

dean wrote:
Ok right now I have accummulated about 20 cords of wood. I started off
with a pressure treated rack but that gets a bit expansive and its was
a little too high for my liking. Now I'm just putting down stone gravel
(2" size) to make a foundation, and then a row of paving bricks I
found on top of that,a nd the wood on those. I've been using anything I
can find for the covering (tarps, roof liners, etc). Tarps get
expensive if you need to buy a lot of them, and the ones they make for
logs are BLUE, and I want green or brown to make it discreet.

Dean

I get my GREEN ones he

http://www.tarpsonline.com/green.asp
dean

Great! I ordered 5 of the brown 18x3's. Thanks!

Dean

Goedjn

My method is to lay down two eight foot 4 X 4 pressure treated beams flat
on the ground , and stack the wood on them. The firewood will last for at
least 2 or 3 years like this, even if uncovered. It will last much longer
than that if covered with a tarp.

I also used 4 X 4 pressure treated but instead created a rack. End
posts used metal anchoring spikes for further protection. First row
begins about 8 inches off the ground. Simple roof covering is green
tarp which barely extends to the edges. Rock solid and not an eyesore.

You people are weird. We always just laid a pair of the longer,
thinner trees longways, and stacked the split wood on top of that.
The stringers rot, but who cares? If you're storing wood
for more than two years, the best place to put it is attached to
a living tree. If you're using it faster than that then you
only have to worry about rot if you're using poplar, or some other
cellulose sponge.

--Goedjn

James

Yes, and when the tree-stringers rot, you nice firewood is laying on the
ground, which is what we are trying to avoid............

--James--

--------------------------

You people are weird. We always just laid a pair of the longer,
thinner trees longways, and stacked the split wood on top of that.
The stringers rot, but who cares? If you're storing wood
for more than two years, the best place to put it is attached to
a living tree. If you're using it faster than that then you
only have to worry about rot if you're using poplar, or some other
cellulose sponge.

--Goedjn

keith

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:15:54 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

[...]

I just put it in the garage. I don't use much (backup and when it's below
-20F), so it sits there just fine. It lights easy too! ;-)

--
Keith
--Goedjn

Goedjn

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:55:13 -0400, "James"
wrote:

Yes, and when the tree-stringers rot, you nice firewood is laying on the
ground, which is what we are trying to avoid............

By the time the stringers rot, your firewood should be
a pile of ash uphill of the garden.
FACE

[...]

So you are practical. They are not particularly weird. Weird would
be the guy who builds a $5000 humidity controlled enclosure with
forced air ventilation to protect $200 worth of firewood. Or maybe
that one would just be rich and eccentric. ;-)

FACE

George E. Cawthon

Mark wrote:
On 30 Sep 2005 07:46:34 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Well I am talking about a pile of wood outside in the elements, not
wood covered up in panelling and paint

Thanks everyone. Edwin - won't a tarp underneath hold in water?

I pile mine on a 6" bed of gravel and tarp it. Water drains away no
problem. Some of it is over 5 years old near the bottom and shows no signs
of rotting. It's a little gray, but that's about it. Just like cedar
siding......

Although this is probably one of the stupidest
questions because it is so easily answered with
common observation and knowledge, I just have to
jump in. I've seen wood stacked in a wood shed
that has a sand and dirt floor that becomes wet
and has running water every spring when the snow
melts. Wood that had been stacked in that shed
for 15-20 years showed no evidence of
deterioration even for most pieces in direct
contact with the ground. (note I said sand and
dirt floor so the floor was dry most of the time
and the shed was no where close to air tight.)

That, of course, doesn't answer the question, but
indicates that that firewood deterioration should
not be a concern during anyone's lifetime.

dean

George - you said something partially useful! Wow! What happened?

I'm talking about normal wood outside under a tarp, it gets a little
wet as the rain splashes or blows, and its on bricks just above ground.
I've seen wood go completely rotten when it contact gound even for a
short time.

George E. Cawthon

dean wrote:
George - you said something partially useful! Wow! What happened?

I'm talking about normal wood outside under a tarp, it gets a little
wet as the rain splashes or blows, and its on bricks just above ground.
I've seen wood go completely rotten when it contact gound even for a
short time.

The subject says "if kept dry."
dean

Well I assumed some common sense in the question rather than specific
literary accuracy.