Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Toilet Flange Question

Hi,

I am having some tile installed in a bathroom tomorrow. The existing
floor is vinyl, so the floor will be raised about a quarter inch from it's
present location.

To save a little money, I said that I would remove the toilet myself as I
have done a few times before. However, when I got to the floor flange
(PVC), I realized that it was not screwed down, but rather it was glued
onto the PVC pipe. Now I am stuck. The house is on a slab, so there is
no going underneath it to cut the pipe and patch it. I do not have time to
bust out 4" deep hole in the concrete and replace it.

Would it be wise to cut off the outer part of the existing flange, and
then add a new one inside the old one? The PVC pipe is 4". The existing
flange is inside the pipe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dennis_B had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...on-320783-.htm
:
Thank you Paul. This was exactly the answer I was wanting to hear.

Cheers,
Dennis

-------------------------------------
Paul Franklin wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:03:50 GMT,
(Dennis_B) wrote:

[...]

No need to remove the flange. They will tile up to it. It will all

be covered by the toilet. 1/4 extra height shouldn't be a problem,
but if it is, you can use a deep wax ring or two conventional ones
(one on top of the other) to make a good seal.

HTH,

Paul F.

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dennis_B wrote:
[...]

Try this. Feldco. Clean the bottom of the toilet well where the wax
ring was, peel the protective film off and stick this device to the
bottom of the toilet. It will protrude into the existing PVC flange and
seal.

I buy them at Home Depot and it's all I use. Measure first though. Do
you need 3" or 4"?

I don't mess with wax rings anymore. I realize that wax rings are like
religion and some folks can't make the change but these work well and
are soooo... much easier.

http://www.farmhomesupplycenter.com/...B000BQUJEA.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dennis_B" wrote in message
[...]

Lowes and Home Depot also sell a washer/spacer ring that can be secured in
place over the existing flange. It is about 7/16" thick and flat.

I have always used a regular and sleeved wax ring but I think I would use
the spacer now that it can be bought. Sometimes the 2 wax rings are just too
much.

--
Colbyt

toilet flange stonecreek Home Repair 4 June 25th 08 09:29 PM
Yet another toilet flange question Brian V Home Repair 8 March 24th 07 06:16 PM
Toilet flange question jstchilln Home Repair 8 February 3rd 07 09:42 PM
toilet flange Tony Pacc Home Repair 2 December 30th 06 03:46 PM
Toilet flange question beekay Home Repair 5 December 27th 04 11:10 PM